Hammer drop question.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Byrdguy, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

I bought a MKIV series 70 Cogan Customized Colt in an estate deal and I haven't fired it yet, but when the slide release is pushed with the slide in the back position, the hammer will drop. It doesn't fall to the fire position, but stops about 1/8th of an inch from fire. The hammer doesn't stay cocked when the slide rams home. I'm pretty sure this is not normal and something is wrong, but since the gun has been worked on, I don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

be safe replace the hammer, sear, disconnector, thumb safety, and sear spring. they are fairly cheap parts no telling what of those the previous owner monkeyed with.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Never let the slide slam forward without a round in the chamber. Such abuse is the cause of hammer follow.
    You may get lucky with changing out the sear only, but to do the job correctly, change out 1 piece at a time.

4. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

Thanks, Haven't torn down one in many years, but I have a Colt shop manual, it will be a fun project for this weekend.

DanFL, you must know Dink and Julie at D&D cycles??

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Dropping the slide on an empty chamber WILL eventually cause this problem. Most likely the sear. Replace it.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If you have the slightest desire to test it at the range I might suggest only one round in the mag...

Guess what happened to me when testing my Series 70 after a trigger job? Not fun! :D

7. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

He might have an E-Ticket ride with a full mag !!!!
    More than likely an overworked sear and/or hammer. Try not to release the slide on an empty chamber, it will, in time, cause damage to the sear and hammer. Close the slide by hand when empty. Congrats on your find. Get her working right and enjoy..............................

Jim................

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Rather than an E-Ticket ride, might be a G-Ticket- as in Government Ride. Some of those folks are real picky about full auto fire......:rolleyes:

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

this is no joke. guy up here in wis. milwaukee had a worn sear his rifle went auto on a range some asshat reported it to batf he spent time in prison. he was also previously investigated for non-related batf violations which led ultimately to them tossing the book at him. batf dont mess around. they already despise citizen gun ownership to begin with.

10. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

My advice is to call up Bob Cogan. You can get the number here :

apwcogan.com

You can talk to Bob personally, he usually will make it right if it is his problem.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Oh man you're right there, c3shooter! Don't want to end up on your chain gang for sure. I remember years back when Andy and I sent ol' Cool Hand Luke up the river for vandalizm and public drunkedness. Never saw that guy again! :D

Couldn't help it with your avatar and sig...

12. WESSONHOLIC

WESSONHOLIC New Member

could just need to tweak the sear spring a little, the one on the far left bend it in towards the muzzle and try it out, Any time you have this going on you should only load 2 rounds at a time and work up from their.

13. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

I'm going to try to get to the range soon and try the gun out. I'll definitely start with only loading two rounds. There may be no proplem with the gun as I wasn't aware that the slide shouldn't be released with an empty mag.
    If there is a problem, I'll get 'er right.

14. nightal

nightal New Member

When you try to cock the hammer by hand does it stay cocked, or will it just go back to the half cock notch??

15. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

It stays cocked. It also stays cocked if I ease the slide home and don't let it slam home. haven't tried it with ammo in the mag. Will do that at the range.

16. danf_fl

That is where I bought my Triumph America. When SHE was looking at bikes, Dink showed HER that he does fit on a Rocket.

17. danf_fl

I had a DW 10mm come in that doubled every time I fired it. Tried the sear spring tweak, no-go. Replaced sear spring, no-go. Replaced the sear, good fix (had to tweak new sear spring). But try the sear spring tweak first.

(Another reason why I do not purchase the same 1911 the clerk showed me after he-she drops the slide trying to impress me with his-her gun "knowledge")

18. danf_fl

Byrdguy - I am out of pocket for a bit. If you have problems, PM me.

19. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

Appreciate it, Dan. Will do. May see you on the road sometime, I ride a BMW, BTW.