hammer bite sucks!!!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by potentialglock, Nov 30, 2012.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

What's the vest way to avoid hammer bite?

2. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

You could a beavertail installed on your 1911, or perhaps get the hammer shaved down(bobbed I think they call it). You could get the spur hammer replaced by a commander hammer or skeleton hammer. If you don't have the funds try duct taping your hand.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

This ^^^^^^^

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Learn to hold the gun correctly? Please take that as it was given :eek:
    Now every full sized Llama "1911" i've ever had did it - I'd take a VERY small amount of the hammer spur off, not even enough to notice really - Cured it-
    It really depends on the gun, Don't start buying beavertails & such if you have a GI style 1911 -

5. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

I am holding the gun correctly. However where can I find the pieces to modify the gun?

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Just take a little off the spur---
    Do you really want to (and able to) start grinding on the frame to put a BT on :confused:
    BTW- You still have'nt said WHAT style/model gun you are talking about- I'm assuming its a "GI" style 1911-

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Brownells and MidwayUSA if you're looking for replacement parts.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

OK- I believe Wilson Combat makes the only beavertail that will work without modifying the frame- Most any good hammer should work-

9. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

I've heard about it but I have never seen it myself. Where exactly does it "bite" your hand? It would seem that the hammer spur would have to be extremely long (even for a GI), protrude past the hammer guard AND the three fingers gripping the stock coming loose during recoil. Do you have huge hands?

10. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I always see people modifying their frames for beavertails why not modify the beavertail, is there a reason for that?

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yes------
    A square peg will not go into a round hole without screwin up something ;)
    Think about the pivot point ---The BT must rotate around the frame at that point- A grip safety just travels between the two points at that point on the frame -

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  12. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

I'm probably wrong but it looks like 99% of the time, it is purely cosmetic. The BT sweeps up leaving the back of the un-modified, standard GI frame sticking out where it used to match the profile of the down swept, standard GI grip safety/hammer guard.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You're right--You're wrong :p
    Well, at least most- well sometimes its not just for "looks" :eek:

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless you have huge hands, if your grip is correct you shouldn't be being "bit"

15. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

For the most part, it is cosmetic.
    For competition shooters who grab the gun and start shooting, it isn't.
    They do not use the luxury of taking their time to make sure everything is "just so" when shooting. Their grip on the gun is muscle memory. The extended grip safety helps to place the web of the hand correctly.

For those who grab the grip "high" have figured that the felt recoil is reduced, but that offers a small piece of the web of the hand to the hammer or slide.

16. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

Grip the handgun correctly

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Carefull- I got "bit" for mentioning that :eek:

18. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Have you ben teasing the dogs with peanut butter on your hand agin? Lol

19. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Just saying.