Hairbear, Is This What You Do For Fun?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Gatoragn, Sep 18, 2020.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I don’t know about Hairbear but I’ll bet SRK would do that.

dango, buckhuntr and SRK97 like this.

2. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

You wouldn't get me with in a bull's roar near a Saltwater croc especially being in the water with one.
    This bloke has his own show here in Australia called Outback Wrangler and he does know what he's doing with crocs as catches and releases a lot of them because they become pests on the stations up in the Northern Territory and Queensland taking cattle and dogs and also occasionally they attack people as well and as he's said they are a very aggressive critter.

The biggest I've seen in the flesh up at buffalo hunting concession in the Northern Territory was around the 14' mark and he had a head on him probably 3' wide.

045.JPG

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Out of all the animals on the planet, the saltwater crocodile is the one I fear the most

dango, Rifling82 and towboater like this.
  4. hairbear1

Jeez I don't know a cranky wife can rank up there with a pissed off croc and both are fairly snappy.:D

dango, Caveman Jim, JTJ and 7 others like this.
  5. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Don’t scare the young fella, he hasn’t experienced that yet :p:D

dango, Caveman Jim, JTJ and 3 others like this.
  6. hairbear1

Yeah but the young blokes think it's all unicorns and fairies and don't realise too late that your playing with landmines and flicking matches into fuel dumps.
    I look at it as warning them as it's my duty so that when they find out it's better to kick a Cattle Dog in the governors and see what is does next is more predictable that than what will happen next dealing with a cranky wife...............................that and it's funny to watch and a gentle "I told you so".:D

7. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

It’s definitely harder than I ever imagined

dango and towboater like this.
  8. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

9. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

A 3ft long saltwater croc, perhaps "shooing" it away with a stick. But a 13-footer? Heck, no.

Not even with a couple of Victoria Bitter in me. Not a chance.

Always wondered about Aussie salty crocs, though: whether, given their high final-approach speeds, whether they frequently jump the rails of a boat to yank whomever is lolling about near the edge. Imagine having a 13-footer leaping up to catch and arm, and then ... whoosh! there you go.

dango and SRK97 like this.
  10. hairbear1

Most of the time the crocs won't worry you while your fishing although there's some that will chase the fish up to the boat looking for the easy feed.
    Then there are those crocs that associate a boat with a feed and will swim up to the boat looking for a feed but generally slapping an oar in the water scares them off.
    Last year when myself and my b-i-l and 2 mates were chasing Barramundi up in our Northern Territory we saw a few crocs swimming and 1 in particular would've been up around the 12' mark. As soon as he heard the boat though he ducked under.

Like anything if you go looking for trouble you'll find it and with crocs it can happen really quick.

dango and Caveman Jim like this.
  11. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

I hear tell that the Barramundi is a bloody big fish. :p

Can get larger than a full-grown adult human, so far as I know. I've seen lots of photos showing monstrously-large examples.

dango likes this.
  12. hairbear1

The big fish around the metre plus mark are females. Barramundi change sex around that size(1 metre) from male to female.
    The majority of Barramundi are released but you can take them for a feed and they don't taste too bad at all. Generally the bigger fish are released anyway because they're the breeders and there is a size and bag limit which is 55cm minimum (Northern Territory) and 5 in possession and 1 over 90cm in possession.
    My best to date is just over 80cm and it hit like a freight train and smashed my lure.

All rivers from the top of Western Australia to the top of Cape York in Queensland generally have Barramundi in them and definately have saltwater crocs in them or at least you treat them as such even the billabongs that may be 50klms up stream from the ocean.

Other than that going up to the Northern Territory and North Queensland either chasing pigs and buffalo or Barramundi is like a junkie hooked on drugs.........................once your hooked your hooked for life.

KAB.1.jpg

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

If that's the case, you married the wrong one.

And yes, I'd sooner face off against a saltie, with nothing but a stick, than my ex, any day. A death roll would be merciful, by comparison.

dango, winds-of-change and primer1 like this.
  14. hairbear1

Mine's not too bad after 32 years married and probably 5+ years before that she knew what she was getting and I know it's easier to play the CIA motto.......................Need to know basis and she don't need to know.:D
    She doesn't know exactly what I've got in my gun safe and what sort of money is involved in there plus there's fishing gear etc................................a man's gotta have a vice or 2 to keep his sanity plus a man cave for those tactical withdrawals with added beer when The Minister for War, Finance and Nagging starts lobbing howitzer shells of cranky at you.
    That's when myself and the Red Cattle dog and the son's pig dog do a fighting withdrawal to prepared defense positions for a few hours.:D

dango and winds-of-change like this.
  15. winds-of-change

Is that you, Hairbear?

I like spending time with Balota but there are times when I just go off and do our own thing. I encourage Balota to do things alone. He always feels bad if he ‘leaves me out’. I don’t feel left out and I like for him to have hobbies that don’t include me.

dango likes this.
  16. hairbear1

Yep that be I in all my head like a smashed pumpkin glory.:D
    That's my best Barramundi to date taken last year up at King Ash Bay near Borroloola in the Northern Territory. It's about 86cm in length.
    It's good for couples to have separate interests and my wife has in the past taken off with 1 of her sisters, my daughter and my niece and gone off to Thailand for a few weeks and while I have little interest in going there it's good for her.

My wife isn't really interested in fishing and no interest in hunting at all but she doesn't mind my hobbies.

We both don't mind as it gives us both a break from life here and each other for a little bit.
    The trip up to King Ash Bay is a 3 day trip one way BUT you get to travel through 2 other states to get there and you see so much of how the country changes and as the saying goes half the fun is getting there.

I might throw up a thread about some of the sights we've seen on some of our hunting and fishing trips just to give you Yanks and idea of what some of our country looks like just going to take a bit off time to do it as I've got quite a few pictures.

dango, primer1, G66enigma and 2 others like this.
  17. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Hairbear, I am curious, if you were to invite me to come to hunt and fish with you, what would I have to do to do so legally? Could I bring my rifle into your country, licensing, etc?

I am genuinely curious. I don't know what hoops you would have to go through to hunt here as I have never researched it. Others on this board probably know, but it may vary state by state.

dango and Rifling82 like this.
  18. winds-of-change

Hairbear, you look like Ernest Hemingway minus the mental illness. You have a lovely beard. And i usually don’t like beards.

dango likes this.
  19. hairbear1

I'd have to check it out but I'd imagine you'd have to fill out a form stating what type of gun your bringing in(no semi or full auto) more than likely a check on your past as in any serious crimes would be a starting point.

If you jump onto the Australian Customs website it'll give you a better idea of what's required.

I have seen a couple of Yanks about 10 years ago come in going up to our Northern Territory hunting buffalo to the same place I was going to to help clear up a few tracks that had been cut off from a previous cyclone and they had .300RUM's and .375's so it's more than likely not than hard providing you haven't been a naughty boy.

dango likes this.