Had to put my old friend to sleep

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by KimberFan, Mar 17, 2013.

1. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Well....damn...the time came. I had to put my 14 year old lab down yesterday. One of the hardest moments in my long life so far. That old feller and I went down a lot of roads and trails together.
    I guess the bottom line is, even as an old guy, one thing is true....if you can't shed a tear over the loss of your dog....you never deserved to have him in the first place.

Adios' Mozart. You were a damn good friend.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm sorry for your loss. Remember the good times.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

sorry to hear that Kimberfan. i now the pain you are feeling right now, because i too have had to do the same in the past. you have my sympathy and prayers. i agree with all you said.

RIP Mozart.

4. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Sorry for your loss Kimber, we recently went through a similar situation. It's not an easy thing to go through. :(

6. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

I am so sorry...

I know your pain all too well.... At the end of the day you can take comfort in knowing no one could have loved them more.

Cried like a baby when I had to put my Rhoddy Tut down years back. I had him cremated and put the urn in my office. My wishes are to be cremated myself, mixed with the ashes of my dogs (I got another couple of good ones now...) and then have my family take us out to the mountains of my beloved North Carolina and scatter us together.... Me and my dogs on the trail forever.

All I have left to say is "good dog".

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

These stories bring a tear to my eye. I have been there and the pain is not forgotten. My 13 year old Gordon Setter is setting beside me today.:)

Attached Files:

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Sorry.................

9. audiophile

audiophile New Member

Sorry to hear that man, I know it is tough. I put my rottie down after 16 years of loyalty......the shedding a tear part is just understood. Few things in life are as dependable and loyal as a good dog.....................sad for you:(

10. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Hoefully they're runnin' down birds together in Heaven.

My sympathies and condolences.

This too shall pass.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. I just began my journey with my first black lab this January.

12. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Pets are definitely family. I'm very sad to hear of your loss. Sending positive energy your way.

13. AR10

AR10 New Member

Get a puppy and name him Beethoven. Continue on.

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am so sorry to hear of Mozart's passing. Know that you gave him a very good life and you both benefited from the relationship. We all know that's part of owning a dog and humanely euthanizing a dog is the responsible and right thing to do when the time comes. But the good times almost always outweigh the side times for most of us and we eventually get another dog and walk down that lovely path again.

15. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

My 16 year old mix is beside me now and she is still fairly active. She is arthritic and has coughing spells from a collapsed trachea.

I have shed some tears over this thread and understand the grieving.

Attached Files:

16. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

My sympathies Kimberfan. I have been there, and will again. It is the only really bad part about being owned by a dog. the other parts of being owned by a dog are vastly better! After an appropriate time you need to find Mozart's successor. They cannot be replaced, only succeeded.

17. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Sorry for your loss.

18. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Sure Sorry for your loss.
    I know how you feel.
    Have had to do the same a few times.
    Sure hurts.

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My sympathies, friend.

I put down my 15 year old Golden Retriever, "Dugan," more than 10 years ago, and I think of him every single day. At least I have 15 years worth of memories.

Think about Mozart every day. It will help. After a while, the memories will stop being painful and become golden.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

When you reach the promise land the first thing you will see? The bright morning sun rising above the hills and every dog you ever owned running to greet you.
    If it were not for whisky we Scotch-Irish would rule the world. And that is a fact.;)