Had some fun with Duracoat and my Mossberg...

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Dr. Marneaus, May 13, 2012.

1. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Tried out another easyway camo kit...came out decent.

Not as "clean" as I'd like, but good overall. Its the urban digital camo kit. I actually ordered 2 kits worth of stencils, and used dang near all of them.
    I had plenty of duracoat left over. Maybe enough to do a pistol. I had a TON of the 3rd color (white) left over.

Anyway, it's a mossberg 930 SPX. Started out as such:
    [​IMG]

After a long day....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Wow that looks great Dr. Marneaus!

Nice job, nice shotty.

How about telling us again about the scabbard you got there.

3. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Very nice!

Thomas

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

That looks great!

Nice job

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Doc, another nice job! looks good. the color scheme is fantastic.

6. akers06

akers06 New Member

7. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've always wondered about long term durability of duracoat and other products. Anybody have it bubble, peel, chip or anything else.?

8. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

I painted my M1A several weeks ago, and judging by the way it applied, i dont think it would bubble or peel. It gets harder and harder every day for the first week or so.

I cant speak for the stuff that you actually bake on, but the spray on kits seem durable.

I have a 1911 that is painted with Cerakote, and that has held up amazingly, but that again is a process that involves baking.

9. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

I dunno who makes it, i think maybe its Voodoo Tactical? Just look up "shotgun scabbard" or "molle scabbard" or something.

I then picked up some maxpedition Molle shotgun panels, and put them on the scabbard, and a maxpedition GPS pouch. I put a boresnake and some Slip200 EWL in a little bottle inside the GPS pouch.

The sling is a generic blackhawk shotgun sling, but i put it on the scabbard rather than the shotgun, tha way the shotgun isnt weighted.

The sling has 15 shots. 10 OO buck and 5 slugs.

The scabbard carries another 18. 12 00 buck, and 6 target/game load (always nice to be able to feed yourself).

its put together to be a quick "Grab and go" setup. Nothing to survive the end of the world with, but a self contained firearm/ammo package that i can either grab in addition to my other gear, or even toss to a friend in need...so to speak.

10. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Great job ! You should send a photo to Mossberg cause they just might want to market your Grab n GO concept. They have a JIC long term storage tube but your shoulder carrier, cameo concept is very handy.

11. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

You did a great looking job.

Jim....

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

How durable is it on the plastic parts?

13. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

The paint looks great.

14. fupuk

fupuk New Member

That is a nice looking shotgun. I got my son a desert digital camo 10/22 this past christmas and by the looks of your picks it looks just as good if not better than a factory paint job.

15. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

I'd think it's more durable than on metal, but I'm not sure.

I plan on taking this shotgun with me next time I go out to Frontsight, so I'll report back this fall on that.

Thanks again for the compliments!

16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

No problem, you did an awesome job with it