H&R ultra slug 20

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by primer1, Dec 6, 2013.

1. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I had some time to play over thanksgiving break, so I broke out my H&R ultra slug 20 guage to prepare for bambi season. I've always shot the hornady 250 grain sst because that's what I've heard was good for this gun, and they are always available at the local big box store.

Range was 100 yards, temperature 45 degrees, sunny, and a very slight breeze from left to right. Shooting was from a supported shooting bag filled with corn. The corn is solid, conforms easily to the contours of the rifle, and isn't as heavy as sand when transporting it. Three shot groups were fine enough, the $3 per shell cost of ammo more than justified the lack of five shot groups.

Two hornady groups are shown marked in yellow, one circled and one with crosses. As you can see, they keep a good pattern, but the best was 4 7/8. That has been good enough for several deer, the longest shot was around 80 yards.

Next was the Winchester 260 grain partition gold, marked in black. Two were fairly close, and I'm pretty sure I pulled the high third shot, but I didn't think I pulled it that bad. The load looks promising, and will be tested more in the future.

Last was the Remington 260 grain premiere accutip. I've heard the load isn't that accurate, and the goofy green wiffle ball tip is all hype. Whatever, its time I quit listening to what others say about what is a good load. This group at 1 3/16 is enough to convince me.

Attached Files:

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Every gun is different even if they have consecutive serial numbers. I have a 22 rifle that does better with rem 22 subsonic than with 2 types of PMC target. 1 3/16" is a fantastic group for a 20 gauge shotgun even if it does have a rifled barrel.

3. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Looks good to me. Have you tried the Remington Core-Lokt Sabot Slugs?

4. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks. It might shoot better than I do.

No, I've never seen them in any stores. I'll keep my eyes open though. I bought a couple more boxes of the wiffle ball tips today.

5. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Here's my ultra slug 20 ga, the hornady sst does ok in mine, but lightfields shoot the best, this is a 100 yd group of lightfields in mine, the Remington buck hammers worked awesome, but they no longer make them, they would clover leaf all day long 75-100 yds.

ForumRunner_20131209_203821.jpg

ForumRunner_20131209_203834.jpg