H&R topper and steel shot

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by pe175, Oct 27, 2012.

1. pe175

pe175 New Member

I Have a 12 gauge 3" H&R topper that may be from the 60s or 70s with a fixed full choke. Is it safe to shoot steel shot of any kind in this gun?

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

yes, shoot the steel

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Damn straight, shoot away I do........................

4. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Go for it! We need to see some pics from the waterfowl hunt though. :D

5. pe175

pe175 New Member

Is it okay to use BB size steel? I dont want a barrel to burst.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

WHAT? NO! Full chokes and steel shot do not mix well. Contact H&R and give them the serial number they will be your best resource.

I would NOT shoot steel through a full choked gun from ANY maker.

7. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

8. englishpointer

englishpointer New Member

I shoot steel all the time out of an old 870 fixed full choke 30" barrel never had a problem. But u are taking a chance of bubbling the barrel or splitting the barrel at the choke. I say shoot it I do it all the time.

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I was gunsmithing in the 70's and 80's and early 90's in Minnesota (where everyone is a duck hunter). I worked with two large gun shops near me plus my own clientele. This was when steel just came out and was made poorly as the ammo companies were learning as they went. I never seen or heard 1st hand accounts of any guns being damaged by steel. I heard alot of people say " I heard this or that happens when you shoot steel" but no 1st hand accounts. It was great for business as I opened many full chokes up to modified. I shot alot of steel thru my old 870 full choke.

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I reload & I reload 3in. mag. BB`s & shoot them in my H&R 12 gauge full choke single barrel all the time, and I reload pretty hot & heavy and I have never had a problem..................

11. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

The thinking is lead shot will deform and compress through the choke because it is soft, steel will not.

I'm with Robocop, play it safe.