H&k usp

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Shihan, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have been putting thought into getting a new pistol and was thinking what advantages does the H&K USP in 9mm have over a S&W Sigma in the same caliber?

Which would be better?

2. Murfdog

Murfdog New Member

Well I'm a little bias but the H&K is the better gun hands down!I own many
    H&Ks and they have never let me down.I do not have a USP but I do own
    some USP compacts.

Murfdog

:)

3. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

H&K make some great guns. No doubt.

4. StanDJ77

StanDJ77 New Member

I dont own a H&K but, havent heard anything bad wit them. As much as they cost, you shouldnt have any problems with any model! In all honestly, which ever one feels great in hand and shoots great (if you can shoot a test model) is the one i would go with.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Shi, you wont be surprised to know that I've owned some HKs also. I've had the full-sized and the compact version of the USP in both 9mm & .40 S&W. Nice guns, very well engineered, very expensive. I never saw a huge advantage in them personally other than the "cool" factor. If you want to spend a lot on a poly gun they're nice but IMHO they aren't worth twice what an XD, M&P, or even a Glock.

You'll notice I reference my ownership of HKs in the past tense as I dealt them away for other stuff and haven't missed them...

6. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

The price difference between those two is the prime factor. Do you want two Sigma's or one USP?

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

On a fit, finish, quality, resale-ability, name recognition stand point, the H&K is hands down a better pistol.

However, you are going to spend the price of a Sigma in just name recognition alone.

You seem to like the Sigma, stay with what you like and know, unless you just plain REALLY need a H&K.

I had one, a USP Tactical. It was what everyone wanted in a pistol. Everyone wanted to shoot it. Everyone thought it shot great, performed, ate what I fed it and turned in great targets.

It was also heavy, clunky, dropping the mag required taking the pistol off target and carrying it was an exercise in exercising. :eek:

8. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Ditto for everything JD said, Shi. If you like the USP get it.

A friend of mine is a German SF Trooper and when they were issued the USP's he told me they dropped one in the dirt and drove over it with one of their tracked APC's. No damage.

But knowing your fondness for the Sigma, I might advise you to check out an M&P 9. My local range has one on the rental line and they say the M&P 9mm has held up as well as the G17. Many tens of thousands of rds with no breakage.

And the M&P is WAY cheaper than the HK.

9. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Been using a USP for about 1 year now (club gun) and as M14 says, its bombproof. Never had any problems with ammo-feeding, except for one batch of club reloads where every round sent it out of battery...but wasn't ever the firearm at fault. Must be reliable to last years of being used by various ham-fisted newbs like me :p

Way too big for my hand though. It if fits you and you don't mind the bulkiness/weight/heavy trigger, go for it.

10. jbd

jbd New Member

H&K make a great gun and I have thought about buying one may times but just couldn't make myself spend the money. I think if You are want some upgrade check out the M&P or the new SD from Smith&Wesson. I have a M&P 9mm and have been very happy with it, but when funds allow I'm going to check out the SD Smith. I've been told it is geared to come in between the Sigma and M&P in price and quality.

11. User Name

User Name New Member

I really like the H&K's. I think they are pretty awesome. I have held one (never shot one) and thought it felt just about perfect in my hands. But honestly, if your looking to drop around 1k on a pistol, why not look at a 1911? I just got my Kimber for about the same price you could get a USP for. You already have a poly gun (sigma) which is a sweet pistol. So why not look at something like a 1911?

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Like everyone else, I've never heard a bad word about their fuction. But I couldn't see myself dropping $750-1200 on a polymer gun. Just my opinion, but at that point I'll lean toward a 1911. I just dropped almost 7 bills on my XDm45, and that's the max I'm willing lay out for a poly gun at this point. Nothing more than my own values and preferences.

It should be mentioned however, that HK fans are among the most brand-loyal shooters in the market. That's clear evidence that HK is doing a lot of things right.

13. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I have two USP Compacts and they are by far my favorite pistols. As stated before, they always perform, are very accurate, and very high quality--something you could trust your life to. But my favorite thing about them is their Version One safety/decocker. I love having the option to decock and still have the safety on (or off if wanted) or even to have it cocked and locked when warranted. It is a very nice feeling safety/decocker mechanism, as is the slide release. The mag release takes a little getting use to, but you do not have to move your hand off as some suggest--you just use your trigger finger to drop the mag--that's the HK method and once you get used to it you'll probably be faster than with a conventional gun and thumb mag release. If you don't like the feel of the USP frame (the compact isn't as large and may feel better) you can try the HK P30, however I think the grip feels just fine. Did I mention the felt recoil seems less with the HK--it does, supposedly because of the rotary lock barrel. Good luck--hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

14. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

My buddy just got the p30 in .40, he loves it. i haven't shot it yet but he really likes it. He is a hk guy though. his work gun is a p2000.

15. Murfdog

Murfdog New Member

The H&K Kool-Aid taste so good!

Murfdog

16. brusky21

brusky21 New Member

So, I've never shot a Sigma, but I've heard that their triggers are long and heavy, being DAO, and the USP is DA/SA. Personally, I hate DAO pistols and I really liked my experience shooting the USP. Before you decide I'd recomend shooting a USP. Just something to consider.

17. armedinfidel

armedinfidel New Member

I just purchased a brand new HK usp 40. for $679 from a Bud's gun shop so if you have a local Buds thats the way to go.
    ps- Love it