H & K USP .40cal

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Norseviking, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Norseviking

Norseviking New Member

I have a full size .40 cal USP made by H & K. I bought it a few years ago now. I took it home and went to the range with it. I brook in the barrel using winchester ammunition. Weapon feed great with no jams. I bought some wolf ammo and feed it through the weapon no jams or mis feeds to speak of. It took a bit of practice to get the right sight picture with it though. This pistol is like any German weapon, well built and built to last. The lower is a polymer, so very light and the slide is a very heave steel when you place a fully loaded mag in the well the pistol is well balanced but as you empty the mag it tends to get a bit top heavy. The decocking lever/Safety is a nice feature. The trigger guard is nice and big to get a gloved finger in but the mag release that is just below the trigger well takes a little getting used to. The trigger it's self i'm a little leery about since its polymer also and has a bit of flex in it and can tamper with trigger pull. It makes a good duty pistol and is a great self defense weapon but your going to be going to the range allot to be proficient. Not that, that's in entirely bad thing if your like me and enjoy shooting :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

H&K? Ya they're o.k.. :p

3. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Nothing better than an H&K IMHO. My USP 40 shoots softer than any .40 I've shot.

4. Norseviking

Norseviking New Member

Dont get me wrong gentleman. I love my USP I think its a hell of a weapon. I would not have purchased such a expensive weapon other wise. My only point is that it takes a bit of getting used to. At least it did for me.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  5. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

Since the USP was created for the .40 it is the best cal to shoot from it and it should be the most relable in any case.

6. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

I agree. It did take a little longer to become proficient with my USP compared to other pistols. I think the balance between the upper and lower changes more so with the USP then others while emptying the mag.. I think it was worth the extra time though. Plus, mines a 9mm. I got better cheaper.:p

7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Howdy KS neighbor

I carry a HKUSP9C every day, used to carry a full size USP9.

I truly believe the Compact HK's are more accurate than the full size....at least thats the case with me.

8. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I just bought a used HK USP compact 9mm with the extended mag kit & an 18 rd mag, since it is already used I have fired it a couple of times & I find it to be rather poor shooting, for close accuracy. I don't know if it is related to the age/ use of it currently or some other reason, but my FN 5.7 made it look pretty junky today.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I've had a USP Tactical .45 for a couple of years, and have still not gotten used to it. GREAT pistol, but the ergonomics are just a bit off (or just a bit different than the guns I usually use).

Not sure if I'll keep it, or not.

10. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

The USP 40 was one of the pistols I was taught to shoot with, and while I love the gun, I agree about the ergonomics. For many years it was the only full size semi-auto I'd ever shot, and I thought it felt great in my hands. Then I shot a few other guns, and going back to the HK is a bit disappointing in the comfort arena.
    That said, the thing is over a decade old with thousands of rounds down the pipe and no maintenance beyond cleaning, and it still shoots like a dream :)

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

No arguments from me. The USP is a tank, and they shoot great. But for me there is just something about it that isn't quite "right".

12. willfully armed

Nothing wrong with that HK. You just arent used to it. At 20 yards with WCC 124gr NATO, my fullsize cut a hole about 1.5" with 200 rounds. Modified weaver stance, two hand hold. I can do that with the compact and it feels better in my hand.

13. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

I know the front/back strap on the USP grip is like a cheese grater. You can get those rubber slip on sleeves that help. I used a bicycle inner tube because I don't care for the finger groove type and its thinner. Worked great for me.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  14. indyfan

indyfan New Member

I was actually debating between a USP 40 and 1911.

I think the USP 40 has a polymer frame though, and I already get enough **** from my friends about my Glock, so I'm going with the 1911. ;)

Seems like a great gun, but I don't really care for the odd magazine release switch though. Might need a little bit of training to get that functioning smoothly.

15. billdeserthills

I am not a great shooter, but I was shooting at a steel plate and I could hear the FN hitting it at least 8 out of 10 shots, not so with the HK. Also four other guys shot the HK too & they said it sucked- Sorry if I hurt your feelings

16. willfully armed

you dont have the ability to hurt my feelings;)

HK, cant go wrong.

I do shoot well, but dont like Xd's, and know a bunch of guys who'd say XD's are junk....

Sound familiar?

17. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

I can only remember a few times I should have taken my friends advice. Like. "Man,don't buy a Yugo", "I don't think you need that much Enron stock", "Are you sure the safety's on":p. When they start paying for what I shoot,they can have an opinion.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  18. billdeserthills

I have never said that any one bunch of guns suck, cept possibly Sig Sauer and I just don't think you should lose money when you sell a gun private sale

19. misterballistic

misterballistic New Member

Maybe the HK is like Chuck Norris... when the steel plate saw the HK, it got scared and just let the bullets pass through the middle without putting up a fight. So maybe you actually hit 10 out of 10 with the HK! :D

20. willfully armed

hmm, we agree? Imagine that.

Sigs are OK guns, I dont feel that they are the top shelf option like everyone hypes them to be. Much rather have a Glock than a Sig. But Im a huge HK fanboy.