Guys, can any one Identify this gun?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ravihara, Mar 26, 2012.

1. ravihara

ravihara New Member

Guys, I'm a 3D modeler who is interested in modeling guns. Can any one please identify this model, so I can find some more reference and model it. thanks a lot.

[​IMG]

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

looks like a German SMG. not sure the model number, but i believe it was used in WWII.

3. mt232

mt232 New Member

Might be an MP40, not really sure but look that up and see. Just checked myself and they look similar

4. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Pish 41 or 43,? Jawag

5. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

A German MP 38 or 40. I cant tell which in the photo. Both are basicly the same design however the MP 40 was not made of machined steel but instead used stamped tin in its construction.

6. mt232

mt232 New Member

I didn't know there was a 38, guess the 40 was just mass produced for the war?

7. downsouth

downsouth New Member

C3 over here, we need you!

8. ravihara

ravihara New Member

Woow awesome help guys.. I can go on with MP 40 I think. Has a very unique design to it and fallen in love xD

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I would guess a MP 40?... It looks like stamped metal to me..

10. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

The MP 38 receiver was made of machined steel, but this was a time-consuming and expensive process. To save time and materials, and thus increase production, construction of the MP 40 receiver was simplified by using stamped steel and electro-spot welding as much as possible. The MP 38 also features longitudinal grooving on the receiver and bolt, as well as a circular opening on the magazine housing. These features were eliminated on the M38/40 and MP 40.

Although the MP 40 was generally reliable, a major weakness was its 32-round magazine. Unlike the double-column, dual-feed magazine insert found on the Thompson M1921-28 variants, the MP 38 and MP 40 used a double-column, single-feed insert. The single-feed insert resulted in increased friction against the remaining cartridges moving upwards towards the feed lips, occasionally resulting in feed failures; this problem was exacerbated by the presence of dirt or other debris. Another problem was that the magazine was also sometimes misused as a handhold. This could cause the weapon to malfunction when hand pressure on the magazine body caused the magazine lips to move out of the line of feed, since the magazine well did not keep the magazine firmly locked. German soldiers were trained to grasp either the handhold on the underside of the weapon or the magazine housing with the supporting hand to avoid feed malfunctions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  11. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Looks too be an MP40. Coould be the MP38 tho, pertty much the same save the manufacturing process.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  12. Deerhuntbj

Deerhuntbj New Member

Probably MP40 or variant.

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I was trained on the MP40 -- magazine housing hold.