Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today someone came to my house saying he works with the utility company and was doing follow up on my new smart meter that was recently installed. Just so happens I don’t have a new smart meter, but he did have a clipboard with letterhead from a solar company. I called him out on his BS and told him he’s a scam artist, then demanded he leave my property. Then he started arguing with me, I wasn’t feeling it and told him conversation is over and he needs to be off my property , he still tried to argue so I ran him off my property to his car down the street. He called 911, they showed up and assured me he won’t return.

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
So today someone came to my house saying he works with the utility company and was doing follow up on my new smart meter that was recently installed. Just so happens I don’t have a new smart meter, but he did have a clipboard with letterhead from a solar company. I called him out on his BS and told him he’s a scam artist, then demanded he leave my property. Then he started arguing with me, I wasn’t feeling it and told him conversation is over and he needs to be off my property , he still tried to argue so I ran him off my property to his car down the street. He called 911, they showed up and assured me he won’t return.
My daddy told me, "Son, never argue with a man while standing in his front yard."

When I lived in Miami, there was a con a day floating through the neighborhood. I have run off everyone from "roofers" to Mormons. Many times, the "visitors" were just scouting for a B&E.

EDIT: I find it amusing that he forum software censored puzzycat. :)

I had an advantage at that time. I had a large Boxer dog that was unwelcoming of strangers. Old Ollie was really a *****cat; when out walking him, anyone could come up and pet him, and get nothing but a wild wagging of his stub tail. When that dog heard footsteps on the walkway, or someone rang the doorbell or knocked he became an enraged monster. I was amazing how little effort, it took to get rid of unwanted visitors when you held your snarling, barking dog by the collar, with him staining to get out. Even the Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses would bid you a quick "good day."

I kinda miss those days. I moved back to the country, my house is not visible from the road, I have an electric gate to keep unwanted visitors out. I haven't had practice in being rude and obnoxious to sales people or religious zealots in so long, I am afraid I would be out of practice.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Back when I was a young airman stationed at Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson, I was sitting at the kitchen table cleaning my Ruger SBH after some target shooting earlier that day and waiting for a friend who was coming over. I heard a knock at the door of our little duplex and, in the process of wiping down the SBH before I reinstalled the cylinder, I got up and went to the door thinking my friend had arrived. As I opened the door, I remember thinking it was strange that Bill would knock since I knew he was coming, and normally he would give a greeting as he came in (we had been friends for years). Anyway, I swung the door open and there stood two Jehovah Witnesses in white shirts and ties and the look on their faces was quite priceless as I asked, “what can I do for you” while holding the 10 1/2” barrel hunting revolver in one hand. One of them said something like sorry to have bothered you as they both scurried away pretty quickly. Until that day, Jehovah Witnesses would stop by regularly during the day and annoy my wife a bit. She commented some months later that it seemed they had finally given up on her...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Until that day, Jehovah Witnesses would stop by regularly during the day and annoy my wife a bit. She commented some months later that it seemed they had finally given up on her...
We had a husband and wife pair that would come to our house every time they were in the neighborhood.

I'd invite them in, offer them something cold to drink, get out my Bible and have a conversation with them.

I think I messed up their theology. I guess JWs believe God actually expected Adam to completely refrain from sin and when he didn't Jesus was "Plan B".

I showed him Isaiah 46:10 (God declares the end from the beginning) in his "Bible" and watched him go into brain lock. He got up and walked out and I never saw him again.

·
Registered
640 Posts
We had a husband and wife pair that would come to our house every time they were in the neighborhood.

I'd invite them in, offer them something cold to drink, get out my Bible and have a conversation with them.

I think I messed up their theology. I guess JWs believe God actually expected Adam to completely refrain from sin and when he didn't Jesus was "Plan B".

I showed him Isaiah 46:10 (God declares the end from the beginning) in his "Bible" and watched him go into brain lock. He got up and walked out and I never saw him again.
The event I wrote about occurred some twenty five years prior to my coming to faith in Christ. Since then I have observed that the Bible confounds many who profess to being religious. (1 Cor 1:18-25)

Twisted theology becomes obvious in the light of the Scriptures.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be interesting if you could find some information on what or if he was arrested or fined, and what for.
He was not arrested but told not to return. It’s legal for solicitors to knock on your door even with a no soliciting sign apparently. After finding that out a no trespassing sign does carry the weight of law. I now have a medium sized no trespassing sign in my front yard. In Colorado going past a no trespassing sign is criminal trespassing, now if a solicitor knocks on my door they are committing a crime. Colorado still has some redeeming properties.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
In Colorado going past a no trespassing sign is criminal trespassing, now if a solicitor knocks on my door they are committing a crime.
No they're not.

They're not committing a crime (Class 1 Petty Offense) unless you ask them to leave and they refuse.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
NM requires a no trespassing sign on posted on a gatepost showing who to contact. they don't require a gate, or a fence. just one gatepost.

I lived within sight of a Jehovahs Witness Hall. they came around every month. apparently too clueless or lazy to go beyond walking distance. a "No Jehovahs Witless" sign cured that

·
Registered
436 Posts
Life is mysterious these days. And it is getting more mystryfied by the day. And it makes me wonder, just how many loons are out there.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
I had a couple of proslelytizers show up at my farm once. As the were getting out the car I confronted them and told tgey werent welcome. One immediately started the spiel " we'd just like to talk you about...." I told them to leave now. The started up again. I called the wife and told her to bring me the Mossberg.
She brought it out and they couldn't get their car fast enough. The driver asked if he could turn around, I said no back out.
The driveway was 1/3 mile long with trees on 1 side and a ditch on the other. He did make it.:D
l75f34c42-m10xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

The drive used run along the trees on the left, all the way down the hill to the house you barely make out in the trees waaaay down there.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha! An update on this post. I had emailed city council to ask about no soliciting signs. They emailed back with the local ordinance that no soliciting signs equal no trespassing, that was right after the original incident. I now have a large no trespassing sign that you have to walk past to get to my front door. Well tonight the same company came to my door again soliciting, my wife did not answer but I did record it on my camera. I replied to city Council last email and just asked how I should proceed and what advice they have for me. I received an email three minutes later from the chief of police that he will contact the solar company and explain Colorado Springs city ordinances to them.

i’m really not trying to be “that guy”

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I am the " get off my lawn " guy.

It aint half bad.
I generally don't bother. Especially not in Colorado Springs. CSPD is on "Priority Reporting" which means that unless there is a violent crime in progress they're not coming.

I make it a habit not to open the front door if I don't know the person knocking. I ask who it is and if it's a solicitor I just tell them I'm not interested through the door. They usually go away.

I've called the police on trespassers on city property and all they do is show up and ask me "Did you ask them to leave?"
When I say yes they give them an E ticket and leave.

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
I generally don't bother. Especially not in Colorado Springs. CSPD is on "Priority Reporting" which means that unless there is a violent crime in progress they're not coming.

I make it a habit not to open the front door if I don't know the person knocking. I ask who it is and if it's a solicitor I just tell them I'm not interested through the door. They usually go away.

I've called the police on trespassers on city property and all they do is show up and ask me "Did you ask them to leave?"
When I say yes they give them an E ticket and leave.
I dont call the police, if they would come which is unlikely it would be 2 hrs later.

Nobody ever comes here much , but if its someone i dont want here i just run them off.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Or you can stay on my lawn after I tell you to leave and see what happens. If your into that sort of thing I will be happy to accommodate.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts