Guntucky(show) is terrible.......

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TheDesertFox, Apr 28, 2013.

1. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

I'm going to go on a bit of a rant here so sorry if you don't approve. The newest "reality" TV show based around firearms is CMT's "Guntucky". I for one think this show is a disgrace to the firearm/shooting sports community and should be taken off of CMT. Here is a list of reasons why Guntucky is so bad.
    1. It makes the gun culture look bad. The employees (?) on the show are ,for lack of a better word, Stupid. They refer to rounds as "bullets", allow one man to fire a side-folder AK with the stock unfolde d and the scope right up on his face which is unsafe and makes the guy look idiotic.
    2. In the first episode they COMPLETELY rip off a woman who brings in an antique target rifle. They aren't sure as to its caliber or model at first, but they don't even offer to research the gun and it's price before the purchase. She pays the around $225 if I remember correctly. They find out that the gun is worth $2, 000 a bit later..........
    3. They portray gun owners as illiterate hillbillies/rednecks.
    4. They are unsafe. They put cameramen in front of muzzles and such.
    4. It's fake. Most of the shots are rigged. (E.g.) Hitting dead center of a wine glass pyramid with an 1800's cane gun...
    5. Improper firearms terminology. You would expect gun store employees to use correct terminology in order to look knowledgeable about their business......
    6. The drama. The first instance of the drama occurs in the 2nd episode when the store/range owner (?) takes his daughter's boyfriend on a trip to the woods to "learn" about firearms. This is about how it went.
    Pt.1 "Hey boy listen here we gunna cross that there stream". The boyfriend crosses and falls after he does so.
    Pt.2 " This is how ya load da shotgun." "Ya take the bullet (SHELL) and put it in here and ram this thing up (talking about the pump/fore end)"
    Pt.3 "Hey boy look et dat tree right cher(points to a tree top)" " you see dat bird???(they don't say what kind of bird so who knows what their shooting)" "Yes sir" "yer gunna put the bead on it 'n shoot ok" "k"
    Pt.4 Boyfriend pulls the trigger and....."Click".....of course his shotgun doesn't fire.
    I'm not sure what happened after that because I got fed up with its sheer stupidity and. Changed the channel. Well there was my rant on this new "show" Guntucky........ If you agree with me or disagree with me post a comment either way. -------DesertFox

2. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Appreciate the report, i was going to try and track down what channel it was on, and give it a look. Wont bother now...you saved me some time...Thanks...

3. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

Great. Glad I was of help.

4. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

.......double post......

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  5. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

It's definitely a real work of s//t. Seen a few minutes of the show. Watching paint dry is more interesting than watching fellow Kentucky residents make fools of themselves.
    I have been to KC a few time as it is only 20 minutes away. Never been impressed with their employees.

6. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

Sorry, didn't realize that until I posted this. Just think of mine as a warning to people who might watch this "show".

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I visit knob creek every now and then, it's a very nice range, but this show is terrible, the acting sucks and it's just dumb.

Makes us look like hillbillies and I refuse to watch one more episode. Sons of guns is bad, but it's not in my backyard, honestly this show is stupid to a level of being offensive.

There is nothing real about "reality" tv.

I'm actually going to knob creek next month, and if the subject comes up, you can bet I'll speak my mind, not that it'll matter... The money is what matters, that's what reality tv is all about.

8. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

No. I double posted. Sorry for the confusion. I appreciate your review. Imo reality television is screwing up this world. It is somewhat interesting to see what is out there (like ax men or ice road truckers) but the stupid acting, made up scenarios etc is just a joke. If you want to find what is I'm this world go look. Instead people do it from their couch.

9. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I agree desertfox, I read this and decided to turn to CMT and that kid picks up a crossbow with a bolt in it and puts his finger on the dang trigger! And they bought a good 10-12 guns for $5500 and there were ARs, Mossbergs and a AUG I think, that's a darn good "deal", all staged, ticks me off. I've only seen about 5 minutes of it and I'm already fed up. This makes Sons of Guns look like the greatest show on the planet, and make American Guns look great! Goodness this is stupid

10. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I have been to a gun store here that I took a firearm into and had it looked at and had it pointed at me without the employee checking the firearm. I know the gun was unloaded but still. A lot of place seem to act ignorant to safety...

11. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Absolutely horrible.

12. Armor-Hyde

Armor-Hyde New Member

Try not to get too caught up in your rant...I used to do the same until I became directly involved. I was in the show & I can say there is definitely no REALITY in REALITY TV!

The reason it looks bad is because these guys are not actors & yes the events are staged! The guys filming it were from NY & did not know their way around firearms at all! But they are good a cinematography. (They film Pawn Stars also)

However, despite what may be shown everything was conducted in a safe manner although they definitely made some grievous safety faux pas when it comes to firearms handling 101.

The biggest problem with the show is that a good percentage of the participants were friends or family of the main characters. They are not all the sharpest knives in the drawer!

The premise of the show was to be fun, so if you were looking for something with more meat to it as I was originally anticipating...you'll be disappointed. Nonetheless, I managed to have fun despite the ridiculousness of the situations.

The transactions you see did not take place for the most part...they were mocked to create a storyline. I hate when you see someone get ripped off or you see a price which is totally out of line with reality. I tried to keep my episode correct ( but I do think I recalled getting my Muzzle energy & velocity numbers all flopped about...hopefully they won't use that!) and I hope there were no scenes where I mishandled a weapon as I tried to focus on safety. (My episode may be airing in the next week or two???)

Enjoy it if you can!

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Really?? You expected a show to depict southern folk not as cousin dating idiots?
    Duck Dynasty, Deep South Paranormal, etc. You name it and if there's an accent they will be seen as stupid as hell. Because it makes those without accents feel good to make fun. Check out Rocket City Rednecks. They have real rocket scientists and they act like shaved apes. Face it, many that do not live in the south sees everyone that does as the Beverly Hillbillys. And they will break their necks every week to see more of it.Redneck reality TV is all about making some rednecks look stupid so the smart people can make fun of it at work the next day. People love making fun of rednecks. It's the acceptable racial slur of the millennium. There was a joke that went around Cincinnati for years about the over/under bridge. Everyone loved saying they made it that way so the hillbillys could toss their shoes over to the people headed north....Because of course they wouldn't need them anymore.

Rule 1: If you want to watch smart TV never look for it in reality TV.
    Rule 2: If you have to watch reality TV and there are rednecks on it then they will appear to be the products of siblings mating.

I knew when I read the title Guntucky what would happen and never attempted to watch it. And conformation has been achieved.

14. Armor-Hyde

Armor-Hyde New Member

I thought that was so we could swim across in the shade?

CMT's mantra is to make fun of rednecks so you have to be able to laugh at yourselves. Odds are you actually know someone who lives up to the stereotype.

15. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

:mad: !!#@$%& "sons of guns" !!.... They started all this dumb@$$ $h*t !!! Makes everyone from the South with a firearm look like a gawdarn moron !!

16. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I liked it at first but then they started adding drama and bullcrap. At first it had good guns and good knowledge, but then came the 2nd season, drama and overreacting to some tanerite and it's just crap now.

17. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

This show is proof that guns and drama don't mix. :rolleyes:
    I'm going to find it hard to wear my Knob Creek T-shirts in public now.

18. Armor-Hyde

Armor-Hyde New Member

19. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I used to go to Knob Creek all the time until I got access to private range. It is a great place to shoot. However, I agree with most everyone else The Show Sucks.
    I usually watch any "reality" show involving guns or cars but I couldn't even get through two episodes of this before I was ready to pull an Elvis and shoot the t.v.

To the guys that are familiar it looked like they were filming some of the show at Biff's up on Dixie Hwy. Does anyone know if they own that shop also now? Just curious.

20. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

actually, id say its pretty accurate. less and less gun enthusists exist. more and more people just own guns. and trust me, buying a gun doesnt change someone.