gunsmithing kits

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by sunsoutgunsout, Jul 15, 2013.

1. sunsoutgunsout

sunsoutgunsout New Member

So the other day I learned how my sks has a free floating firing pin, and can cause slamfires if I don't take the bolt apart and remove the cosmoline. To get at firing pin out there is a small pin that just has to be punched out which a punch and mallet is needed. I just started doing very very minimal gunsmithing, but I really enjoy it so I was thinking about picking up a gunsmithing kit at cabelas or something. Are there specific tools that are a must have for any gunsmith? Basically the wd-40 and duct tape of the gunsmithing world.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Besides the tools I've purchased over time....

Band-aids, cheap whiskey, fire extinguisher, cheap beer, eye protection, cheap vodka, ear protection.

Then a place where you will not get disturbed, with ear protection to avoid hearing distractions, and eye protection to avoid seeing distractions.

3. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Brownells is the first stop for anything gunsmith. They have several kits. Look thru their kits and pick out things you think you might use.

4. sunsoutgunsout

Stupid question here, but could I just use snap on punches or is there a reason I cant?

5. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

You can use any punches or make your own. I will say it is nice to have a few simple brass punches also.

6. sunsoutgunsout

Whats the difference between the brass on steel ones?

7. towboater

towboater Active Member

Brass gives a more solid strike. Less bounce. No sparks.

8. towboater

towboater Active Member

Harbor Freight is a good source for cheaper stuff. Check out their punch sets.

9. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Brass is non-marring.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

one thing you really need are some gun specific screwdrivers. lots of screws on many different types of firearms and a need for screwdrivers made for working on guns is a must, unless you don't mind tearing up screws adn your guns.

wooden or rawhide mallet is a good item to have also. a vise is another good item.

good lighting where you plan on working is something i consider very important. hard to work on things when you can't see what you are doing.