Gunsmithing Education

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by easterner123, Jun 1, 2011.

1. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

I will be attending conventional college in GA this fall, but would like to learn a thing or two about gunsmithing. Something that would get me a certificate; to qualify me to some degree.

As far as experience goes, I have some time at a machine shop on a lathe, and I have handled firearms since I was 6.

What should I look for in a school/course? Are online courses worth it? Are there any reputable schools I should look into? How long does gunsmithing school take part time or full time? Thanks for your time. I shoot my guns but I want to know more about them, with the ability to confidently assemble and disassemble them.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Disclaimer- I am NOT a smith- am a hobbyist and a collector.

IMHO, there are parts changers, and there are gunsmiths. There are a few good schools that DO teach gunsmithing- a good part fo which is being able to use a lathe, use a milling machine, etc. Some of which is knowing woodworking. The Colorado School of Trades in Trinidad CO comes up a lot, and there are a few others.

The on line or gunsmith in a CD-ROM, well, best I can say is not many satisfied customers. You might check to see if there is an established smith in your area that would like an apprentice.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Most on-line courses may not have what you need to accomplish the task. Their goal is primarly to get some money out of you.
    Go in-resident or as C3 sez, apprenticeship.

4. cappaletti

cappaletti New Member

I have taken 1 correspondence course (1975) and 2 online courses in gunsmithing. the problem with these courses of study is no "hands on" experience. gunsmithing is specialized and it requires specialized training in GUNSMITHING lathes/mills etc. machining is not all the same! CO School of Trades, Montgomery County Community College, Troy, NC, Yavapai Community College, AZ, Lassen Community College, CA are all good schools. You might also consider the American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI). I've got about 35 of their armourer's courses on dvd and they're fairly in depth. Good luck!!!

Gene