Gunsmithing classes?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by nick223, Feb 2, 2012.

1. nick223

nick223 New Member

I want to take some gun smithing classes don't know how to go about doing it! I was wondering if there's any on line classes or what I would half todo trade school, college? any advice or knowledge would be great!

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There are several self study/ DVD programs out there. Have heard everything from "Yuck" to "it's pretty good". Best reports I have heard are from schools that deal specifically in that- Colorado School of Trades in Trinidad CO being among the best. You can also find a real gunsmith that wants an apprentice.

I would start by getting out of Illinois. :p

3. nick223

nick223 New Member

Thanks I'm going to look into the schooling not many gun smiths around me lol

4. lawman45

lawman45 New Member

Is there anyone in Ohio that would like to take on an apprentice? I live in the Miami Valley area, I am getting ready to leave law enforcement and would love to become a gunsmith, also I have a lot of contacts with local Law Enforcement departments. They are always looking for someone to fix their weapons in town as to shipping them off for repair.

5. nick223

nick223 New Member

I'm not to sure about Ohio? But I live in Michigan and there's not many around me and the ones that are don't want an apprentice :(. Ur best bet is to call around and seek them out! Any of ur local gun stores should have one or two!

6. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

If you have a strong back ground in metal lathes and milling machines you have the background you will need. If you do not you will need a 2 year Trg. program at a major recognized school. Most of these are in the South and West .:)

7. MOAGunsmiths

MOAGunsmiths New Member

That's bull most gunsmithing does not require much lathe and mill work. I have been a gunsmith for years and own my own business in northern Indiana.

8. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

You would never work on any of my guns. Any shop without a Milling Machine and a Lathe is not able to do true custom gun work.:rolleyes:

9. MOAGunsmiths

MOAGunsmiths New Member

Lol I have both, but you hardly need years of machine experience just to start gun smithing. If you know what your talking about you'd know that.

10. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

There is a big jump from a "Gun Tinker" and a true custom gun shop. I have been shooting High Power matches NRA for over 40 years. The best custom gun shops are outstanding masters of top machine work. :) Let me know where you are set up at Camp Perry I would like to see your work.:)

11. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Take it easy pal he was just putting in his 2¢ no need to attack him for it..

12. MOAGunsmiths

MOAGunsmiths New Member

He attacked me first and I'm not your pal

13. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

No acualy he didnt attack you at all. The first thing you say is thats bull crap to what he said..It was his opinion. You could have just given the kid a tip instead of trying to prove him wrong. You say you were a scout sniper? Act like it. Be respectfull of other peoples opinion. Im not trying to be rude or anything but really you need to respect everyone on this forum if you want to stay here. You cant just get mad and say someone is wrong its there opinion. Just put in your 2¢ and leave it up to the person asking for advice wether or not they want to take it. Again im not being rude im just saying this is a place for people to gather and have good fun conversations.

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Great. Where do I send my guns so that you can work on them?

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Just kidding. I'd rather work on my own guns. Pal.

I am sure you would be welcome here if you weren't do defensive. 5 or so posts and you are ripping longstanding members?

Bad form, Pal. Bad form.

16. nick223

nick223 New Member

I have a bunch of lathe experience and im. A certified tool maker so should be no problem there if I do or don't need it! I was just wondering if there's some type of online class? I live in Michigan and no schools around me offer gun smithing courses! And I have a kid wife and job so I can't just pick up and leave state to go to school!

17. PARTSWOODCHUCK

PARTSWOODCHUCK New Member

18. nick223

nick223 New Member

Thanks slot man!!! I looked into it and I'm definetly going to head this wsy

19. Wilder

Wilder New Member

Despite his lack of etiquette, (which is taken very seriously in online forums) moagunsmiths has a valid point. Most of the general repair work I do rarely needs a lathe or mill. They are necessary tools, but are not needed when your just starting. Files are the tool the beginner must master.

20. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

I was thinking of taking a Machinist class at a collage nearby for a year and get that out of the way