Gunsmith school question

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by seanch, Apr 26, 2012.

1. seanch

seanch New Member

I am thinking about going to gunsmith school, how hard is it? And what basically would I need, and would it be worth it demand wise, right now I am a truck driver so I make pretty good $. What all do I need like high school diploma. Any help would be helpful to me. Are the online classes worth it or hands on classes. Please help. Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2012
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You need a good mechanical aptitude, patience and to be able to work with your hands. A brick and mortar school is your best bet if you can afford the time and money. There are some decent online programs for a knowledge base and some that are complete bs. I would not suggest getting into gunsmithing if making money is your goal. You need to have a Passion for firearms.

3. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Agreed. All the gunsmiths i know either do it as a hobby in their spare time, or own a gunshop.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I do it as a hobby and I'm a partner in a gun shop. If $ is your big desire stay on the road. I don't know bout online classes since I had a mentor.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

5. seanch

seanch New Member

Yeah I do have a Passion for firearms, I've been around them all my life, I just wanted to know if it would pay the bills cause if I go for it, it would be a big career change.

6. seanch

seanch New Member

Plus I would be home with wife and kids ever day, I have a 2 year old and a 6 mounth old I am missing to much with her.

7. seanch

seanch New Member

Is there a big demand for a gunsmiths.

8. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

That pretty much says it all... In other words: "Don't quit your day job" Especially with young'ns like you've got. Very few can make a living at this unless they are also tying it to a retail shop. They are in demand but just not quite rock star demand...

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Your odds of making a living doing gunsmithing would be possible but only after building a large customer base(thinks in terms of years).

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Absolutely. Not to mention that in order to really stay busy you need to make one Hell of an investment in tools and machinery unless you are based in a store as was previously stated.
    I would recommend taking an online class for a start and if possible getting a home based ffl. Start by cleaning and repairing friends gun and doing online sales etc. Buy cheap guns that need work and fix and sell them. This all requires a minimal investment you can do on the side and if things get going well enough you will know if full time is viable.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Not enough for me to pay the bills. I have my business partner/mentors client base plus some of my own and it isn't enough

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

12. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I was a gunsmith ( now retired) my ex wife has been a truck driver for the last five years. She makes more per year than I did as a gunsmith most years. Other things to think of with family is insurance and such. I went to school at 18 long before the family came along. I'm not sure how it would have worked out the other way around. And as all the other gunsmiths on here will tell you there will probably be part time / second jobs along the way. Good luck.

13. HH54r

HH54r New Member

I have been doing this for a while now. Sometimes I saty busy and other times slower. Building up customers in your area is a must. Take adds in small local papers. Get NRA certified and teach people how to shoot. Anything to get exposure locally.

HH54r

14. gunner43

gunner43 New Member

Amen to all that stuff. I started gunsmithing after retirement and find that it is a fun pastime that pays a little. If I depended on my business to pay the bills the wife and I would be pretty cold and hungry. Guns don't break very often.

Gunner

15. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

I'm in a similar boat. I had to leave trucking for medical reasons. I now work with developmentally disabled adults to pay most of the bills but I have been thinking about using my passion for firearms to get into gunsmithing sounds like its best as a second income. I have been thinking about building a small shooting range on my property, that could help too.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  16. seanch

seanch New Member

Thats cool, helping those in need...

17. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

I've been looking in to some online schools to get a base to build on then trying to get an apprenticeship. I'm a supervisor where I work now so I can have my hours be somewhat flexible.

18. gunner43

gunner43 New Member

I chose the Sonoran Desert Institute and will finish my certification this month. After that I am going to continue and get an AS degree with a major in Firearms Technology at the same school.
    Check them out. The course is current, reasonable and approved for the GI Bill and VA.

Tell Pam I said HI

Roger Gunsmith

19. seanch

seanch New Member

Is this an online school?

20. gunner43

gunner43 New Member

I got the book version and submitted the exams on line. The nice thing about the books is to me they are easier to refer back to than the CDs.
    You can do either one but the paper copy cost a little more.

gunner