Gunsmith apprentice question

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Ultimate_sig, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I found a gunsmith that will take me on as an apprentice, I havent started yet and were supposed to talk monday. Is there a wage as an apprentice or is the knowledge your compensation?

2. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

As a apprentice, non certified machinest with experience to operate a lathe, boring mill, CNC, welding, vertical drills, and other metalworking tools then you may get $10/hr. However, wage is all dependent on where you live.

3. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Im in texas, with all that experience what could I earn an hour

4. dvcguns

dvcguns New Member

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that's about $443 a week before taxes.

6. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Thats for an apprentice, but what bout when I get done with that and become a gunsmith

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

It varies but i make about $500 a week before taxes. Unless im buildin custom rifles for OTHER people....then i make considerably more

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

8. Axxe55

that's for an apprentice who already have some basic skills with metalwork in milling machines and lathes. do you have any of these skills yet? if not, you need to start at the bottom and work up and learn. if you have none of these skills yet, then the pay if any will be way less. you have many years to go before becoming a gunsmith. most gunsmiths don't make huge amounts of money and many have fulltime jobs to be able to live a comfortable life and pay their bills. as much as i enjoy working on guns, it couldn't afford me to live as i am accustomed to now. so i just work on my own and enjoy it as a hobby.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Exactly correct axxe. Im a certified smith w experience in all them tools/skills. It took me almost exactly 6 years to even THINK about makin my test rifle to get my certs. I made it too as most on here know, that rifle is my pride and joy. As it should be.

10. Axxe55

i think Sig wants to be a gunsmith but doesn't realize the sacrifices, work and time involved to become one. when i wanted to do it as a living many years ago, and found out the what it entailed to become one, and what i would sacrifice in the pursuit of becoming one, i decided i had better just stay doing what i do instead, and just enjoy it as a hobby.

11. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

So to get certified you have to make a rifle? That's pretty sweet.! What did you make?

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I did. I dont know what anyone else has to do to get the certs. Look up 7.82 warbird build.....i need to update it.

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya it takes ALOT of time and sacrifices. Im still gonna do it but im lookin for other work still

14. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Cool. I'll give it a gander.

15. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Yea well the plan is that im going to the acedmy in june to be a police officer, and I would like some smithing experience under my belt so I could do both part time and still live good. After two years on the force I can join a special unit; swat, detective, homicide, ect. I really want to get into swat and it would be nice to build the weapon I need for certain jobs. Eventually id like to open my own shop, who knows maybe even my own line of weapons.

16. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

And that marlin is why I wanted to do all those diffrennt things to my pistol, so I could build something that I could call my own. Even if it doesent make sense to anyone it makes perfect sense to me. I have a certain type of pride about myself that I can enjoy, you gotta understand that

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I do.

18. blueshield67

blueshield67 New Member

Idk about anywhere else but in Tennessee its 8000 hrs before you go from apprentice to journeyman and certified. Also nobody up here wants to take on a apprentice even for free .

19. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Damn...i love texas

20. blueshield67

blueshield67 New Member

Yea the only way to be a gunsmith is online and only one I know of where you actually have any hands on at all is Sonoran Deserts Institute