Gunsite Academy Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by jrags, Jan 28, 2012.

1. jrags

jrags New Member

Have any of you done any training at the Gunsite Academy in Arizona? I was thinking of doing the pistol training.

It is over $1k for about a week's worth of training.

2. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

no I have not tried Gunsite, I am a member of Front sight though (life member) and I'm sure there are some differences but also fine quality training nonetheless.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

3. jrags

jrags New Member

How do like Front Sight? Looks to be similar pricing. Front Sight's website seems a lot more "Vegas-y" with all the glitz and infomercial style. It just seems like they are really trying to sell you. Yes I know it is near Vegas. Life member? What benefit do you get out of that? Cheaper training course pricing?

4. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

glitz, vegas-y the DVD is where that ends the range is everything but glitzie

but you will find that no matter how much I like it there will be those you will ***** about it. I go about once a year. last year i made it twice. as for being a life member it has it perks like discounts in the pro-shop, in town at the hotels.
    the instructors are very Professional and if you like to shoot, you will go through about 1000 rds. over the week-end with that many magazine loads the thumb take a beatting

5. russ1982

russ1982 New Member

I know Rifles Only out side of kingsville tx and shoot rite in Alabama are very good places. Tiger McKee the owner of shootrite is an excellent instructor and has a very good book called The tail of two guns. That I think every shooter should read. And Jacob Bynum the owner of rifles only is one of the most knowledgable and nicest guys I've meet. They are both top notch facilities. Check them out on line.

6. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

I have a perfect location for a site like that - - - right off Interstate 70 half way between Indianapolis and the Ohio line.

300 acres, valley 538 yards long and 150 yards wide with banks 35' to 50' tall I just need some like minded people with ambition and some money to put it all together.

I own Greensboro Sand & Gravel so I have all the equipment needed for the construction but gravel sales have just about broke me and I'm not going into debt to get this going and with diesel at $4.00 gal I'm moving slowly.

If any of you are interested go to 39 degrees 52' 12.74" North 85 degrees 28' 13.93" West and check out the site.

Send me a PM and I will be glad to discuss the project.

7. jrags

jrags New Member

Are there any other good academies that I am missing that I should be looking at?

8. AZL

AZL New Member

Go see Clint and Heidi at Thunder Ranch.

Gunsite has lost sight of what it once was. They are SO dogmatic there...it is almost like a cult.

Clint and Heidi are personal friends, and you get UNPARRALELLED training there.

As a trainer myself, and former LE trainer (still do it sometimes) I can tell you from experience that....Clint is the one guy who has the whole package. I never fail to learn more from him than anyone else with whom I have trained and studied. Rob Pincus is another of the great ones. Wes Doss is another who is very very good.

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Costa, Larry Vickers, VTAC, Magpul Dynamics (I think they still do it), Travis Haley. There are others but those where the first couple I thought of.

10. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I hear good things about the USSA in Tulsa. Have yet to check them out personally.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I looked into them as they are accredited by the state of OK. I've also heard good things about them around town.

12. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

A couple of the guys at work have memberships of some kind out there. They say the facility is very nice.

Prices seem reasonable for what you get as well. I'll be making the trip soon to see for myself. :)

13. locnload

locnload Member

Wait, wait, I thought jrags original question was if anyone had any expirience with Gunsite. So far the single comment having anything to do with Gunsite was one who had "heard" it was not what it once was. I to, would like to hear from someone who has actually been there in the last two years regarding what kind of experience and was it worth the money. Don't get me wrong, I would also love to train at Thunder Ranch, Magpul, Sig Sauer Academy and a bunch of other facilities mentioned, but the question was about Gunsite, does anyone have first hand knowledge of Gunsite?
    As for USSA in Tulsa I can't tell you much about their training oher than they have a lot of trainers and adjunct instructors, almost all with a lot of military, LEO, or both experience. I did attend the 2011 "Polite Society Tactical Conference", put on by Rangemasters (Tom Givens) at the USSA facility in Tulsa, and it is indeed a top knotch venue. :)

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

When I saw the DVD and all the follow up from Front Sight, my thought was "Finally, someone who knows how to market the gun culture."

Gunsight, Front Sight, Thunder Ranch... I'd jump at the chance for a weekend at any of them.