Gunshow Prices

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by omroi2001, May 2, 2012.

1. omroi2001

omroi2001 New Member

Why are "Gunshows" prices so high? You would think that they would lower the prices so they can sell more at these shows. I understand its a business and they have overhead and all that mumbo jumbo but guys "Come On". You can afford to cut $50.00 to $75.00 atleast. I guess it comes down to if you want to make a sell or not.

Dear Mr. President,

I will hold on to my GOD, my guns and my freedom and we will replace you by voting you out of office and help restore our United States.

Sincerely,

America

2. Jimc19322

Jimc19322 New Member

I don't understand it. Around Ohio you can get every gun,accessory,or box of ammo for cheaper at your local dealer. Every now and again you come across something at a show that is a good deal but I just can't justify paying a hundred dollars more for a used gun at a show than what I can get it for at my local dealer. It's literally that bad. When we go to shows now it's more o just browse around and look at all of the guns, more like a museum. Albeit,if your wanting to trade something for something else I believe a show is probably your best option. Just my .02 cents

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

It is called a "gun show", but in reality, they are "mini S.H.O.T. shows" for dealers.

The idea of a place where an individual could sell their collection is long past.

4. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

You also have to figure in that most dealers mark up their guns only 25% at most. Smaller dealers are going to incur a larger cost from the distributor because they don't order much and a lot of dealers at shows are small. 25% isn't much considering bottled water is marked up 4000%.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree for the most part. most of the gun shows in our neck of the woods have prices higher than what i would pay just by going to my LGS and either buying it or ordering it from them. my LGS does participate in two gun shows a year in our area, and he actually does deep discount his items for sale at the gun shows. i know this because i am in his shop quite often and have a good idea on his prices. another thing that ticks me off is some people pricing their used items at or above the cost of the same item new. well they may be looking for a sucker, but it ain't me. several years ago, i went to one looking for some old Mauser actions or rifles to scavenge for the actions to possibly do some rifle builds with and one gentlemen had several very well worn pieces of junk Mauser rifles, wanting between $450-600 for them. i explained what i wanted and said i was looking for some in the $150-200 range. he told me those didn't exist anymore. funny thing is i found many of them later on several of the gun auctions sites for that price a few days later.

6. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

They are scamming people, sometimes you get lucky. In 2007 I bought a new in the box 870 express super mag 12 in cammo for $400 after taxes. Daddy found an old k gram .22 in mint condition, fella wanted $600 for it. Walked around a while and found another the same condition with the box for $400..... Guess It pays to search.

7. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I haven't seen that problem here at the shows. Most places are within 20-40 dollars of each other, there may be a few like that at the shows in the sticks but around my area they are all competitive with their price points and actually cheaper than most of the LGS.

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i think its mostly this last year. begining of 2011 i was still able to find cheaper prices on guns and ammo at the shows. but each one i go to now shows increase like every weekend

9. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

There is a big gun show at the fairgrounds here every six weeks. I used to go to these shows all the time but they got boring. I have never felt that the gun shows had prices that were any better than the normal retailers, in fact their prices were usually higher. There is always a chance you might find a gun you want that is not available anywhere else.. There are a lot of neat gun accessories and other stuff at these shows. I guess it is cheap entertainment. Once in a while I go to the gun show to look for ammo and reloading components. I save a little money because I don't have to pay shipping costs.

10. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Sometimes you can find a good buy, other times they're attempting to jack you for some cash by looking for a newb who doesn't know what they're doing. They hate me because I'll pull my smartphone out and look it up on the spot to see if the price is competitive or they are out of their mind.

11. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Gun shows

Gun shows are unpredictable, you get frustrated about prices, then suddenly you look down and there is a bargain. A year ago this June, when the Ruger .380 LCP was selling like hotcakes, folks were paying $325 to $375. I look down and see one dealer selling them (new in the box) for $275. Yep, bought one.

The other factor is that the dealers do not want to give you a price for your gun anywhere near what they are asking for theirs. I don't expect to get that price but at least $100 near.

Then there is the offer. Make offers, if you don't work out a price, then it did not cost you a penny. If they take an offer then everybody is happy.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I've seen this same syndrome through the years.

Yard sales, swap meets, flea markets, sheriff's sales,

gun shows.

The word gets out that you can save money,

and sheople lose their minds, go nuts, and start flocking

to these events.

Prices outrageous? Look around you. They aren't selling to you,

unfortunately they're selling to the 10,000 idiots in the crowd who

don't comparison shop, but think they are saving money, anyway...

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Your paying extra for the ambiance:
    Used guns at new prices
    New guns at nearly MSRP, or sometimes higher
    $4 Hot dogs.
    Grumpy vendors
    Yard sale reloading gear (odds & ends) above MSRP
    Powder, primers & bullets priced above all of the local retailers (Cabela's excluded).

What's not to love?

Every once in a while I'll go just to see if there's anything interesting. I'll occasionally come home with books, and the odd accessory.
    Decent deals at guns shows?
    Bulk Ammo.
    Jerky
    Cleaning stuff and related accessories.
    Books

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i just don't go like i use to anymore as i was just getting more disappointed than anything else. part so because there just doesn't seem to be the oddball stuff available like it was many years ago for a decent price. i like to see older and more oddball stuff rather than the newer and easily available firearms. i can go to my LGS and buy a new pistol or rifle, and if he doesn't have it in stock, well he can always order it for me.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are deals at gun shows but there are a lot of over priced items too. You have to know what you are doing or keep your money at home. I missed a great deal because I did not take time to ask the guy setting up his table how much. I passed up some good prices because I did not have a need for that particular gun. Watch for the guys carrying guns and/or signs. I have seen some older guys sell their pet rifle to a shooter for less than the dealer was offering. Rare but it happens.

16. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Now, that is a good point JTJ. Last time I went, my wife saw a couple with an old, beat up single barrel shotgun that was missing the trigger guard. They said they wanted $100, she said $50. They took the offer. It's a wallhanger. I'm not interested in fixing it, since it's older and would cost more in parts to repair than we paid for it, but she likes it, and I think that the price was reasonable for it.

17. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I went to my first gun show last month. I wasn't too impressed. There was a good mix of dealers vs. individuals. The prices weren't great. But there were a few deals here and there. I almost bough a shotgun. There were two good semi-autos for sale. Too bad I had already purchased one at Bud's the day before. I was really disappointed in the selection though. It was a lot of the same stuff over and over again. But there was some cool off the wall odds and ends to see.

18. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Unfortunately my issue with gun shows are due to them disarming everyone. If you wanted to rob someone just go to a gun show everyone has their gun zip tied up and couldn't defend themselves if needed.

19. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Only a guess, but maybe it's changed because the city fathers have gotten greedy & are charging more for the 'hall' that it's being held in. Also, maybe the promoters have started charging more for the booths. I remember the days of the $2 ticket, now it costs $7. I've read that in some areas they've even started charging for parking!

But, can still find some bargains. I was going through one a while back & found two dealers with a NIB Colt XSE Commander & there was $150 difference in the price. I couldn't believe the price on the cheaper one. It beat anything I'd seen anywhere! I had only gone there to check out SD ammo that I couldn't find locally, but I boogied back home, got some cash, went back & bought it. :)

20. GunHo

GunHo New Member

I can't agree with you more. From what I remember, the first and last gunshow I went to in Vallejo, CA left me disappointed with prices. Now I’m a notorious bargain hunter and I can tell you this much; gunshows are a scam. There was not one thing, and let me repeat, “one thing”, there that I could not get cheaper elsewhere. To top it off, they charge $10 admission and $5 parking. Along with about $10 for gas and $5 toll bridge just to get there; I feel swindled for $30.00 bucks.