gunshow in california

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ihavelegs, Mar 15, 2011.

1. ihavelegs

ihavelegs New Member

Hello, not sure if this is the right place to post this topic but here it goes:
    There is a gunshow that is coming to a nearby city and I was thinking of checking it out...I'm assuming that there will be plenty of licensed gun dealers there so I should have no problem getting my fingers on a sweet handgun. I did a little research online and found out all i need is my valid California drivers license and a bunch of cash .... and 10 days later i should be able to get a something awesome in the mail.... is this true?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Nope. Handguns cannot ever be mailed. I expect you have to pick it up at the dealer...

3. ihavelegs

ihavelegs New Member

NGIB - thanks for the reply, I will keep that in mind when I go.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

To buy a handgun in CA, you must have a Handgun Safety Certificate, valid picture ID, proof of residence and a background check. Then, there is a ten day waiting period before you can pick up your gun and you must pick it up from a licensed dealer.

If you buy a rifle or shotgun, you must also make arrangements to pick it up from a licensed dealer.

The CA DOJ fee for transferring a firearm is $25. the transferring dealer will also charge you a fee for performing the transaction. Fees can go as high as $100.

There are exceptions. If you buy a C&R/Curio & Relic rifle or shotgun, you may buy it in a private sale and you may take it with you right then and there.

You get the HSC by paying a $25. fee to the CA DOJ and taking a 30 question multiple choice test. You may get up to seven wrong. :eek: (CA wants $$$!) The certificate is issued on the spot.

Welcome to the gun hating world of Kalifornia.

5. ihavelegs

ihavelegs New Member

CA357 - Hell yea... great post. I'll be looking for your posts in the future... it looks like i need to lurk this forum a little bit more before i make my way out to the gun show... thanks.

6. CA357

Are you anywhere near Sacramento?

7. ihavelegs

ihavelegs New Member

CA357 - I was in Sacramento about 6-7 years ago for a family wedding... but i'm down here in San Diego brushing up on my spanish... lots of senoritas around here and I plan on talking to every single one of them.... =)

8. CA357

That sounds pretty good. :cool:

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

And remember to bring a utility bill showing your residence address matching the one on your CDL.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

And then you must bring three character witnesses who have each known you for at least five years, but it cannot be for the same five year period and are only allowed a two year overlap for any of the three time periods. Only one of the character witnesses can be a relative, but cannot be your mother as a mother is likely to lie for her son who in her eyes can do no wrong. Now if you cannot find three character witnesses, you can substitute a legal affidavit from your county sheriff for one of the character witnesses which states that you have had no criminal inclinations for the last 10 years regardless of actually being charged or arrested. If you have not lived in your county for 10 years and therefore cannot get the affidavit, you can substitute a letter from your clergy which states you have been in church at least 50% of the time for the past three years and are a good boy.

Or you can move to Arizona.