Gunshow craziness

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dangerous Dan, May 6, 2007.

1. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan New Member

I went to the CADA gunshow outside Chicago yesterday. The number and quality of guns were down quite a bit. Prices were so ridiculous there was no point in even talking. Example: Model 42 deluxe modified $8500. Just nuts. One guy was selling meteorites for 3k, on sale from 5k. Has gunbroker killed the gun shows?

2. ironhat

ironhat New Member

I've always seen gunshows as a gamle in all respects, including what you might find there. I go for the entertainment value and if I find something on my list at a good price I spring for it. Usually, I come out empty handed but smiling just the same - sometimes for the good time and sometimes because it was a bust, like you mentioned. So, do I blame the online aucions? No. In fact, at the York, PA, gun show a couple of months ago I was pleasantly surprise at the availability of older Remington firearms though some were far overpriced. Don't be discouraged buddy. Life's too short as I was reminded this past week when my beloved father-in-law passed away. Live on and smile (sorry - did't mean to be preachy).
    Later,
    Chiz

3. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan New Member

I hear you ironhat. Lots of good looking guns but I won't even bother to go next year. I was there for two hours and did not see a single gun get sold.

4. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

It's always hit or miss. Getting there when the door opens the first day sometimes will net a good buy. Sometimes getting there the last hour of the last day will net a good buy. In between I rarely find anything.

5. JR .45

JR .45 New Member

We have some pretty decent gun shows here in Texas.

If the dealers were overpriced, and not selling, next time they will either have better pricing or not show up.

I often go to a show not expecting to bring anything home. Just seeing all the other firearm enthusiast in one place gives me a boost and helps me to keep on working on trying to improve our gun laws and get folks shooting.

I also enjoy finding that piece of history or that new product that I may have never seen before.

What was the price of a table at that show? The promotors may have priced tables to the point that the dealers had to raise prices to cover.

6. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

Do you go to gunshows in any other cities besides DFW? If so what are your favorites?

7. BobG

BobG New Member

They aren't what they used to be...

A lot of the gun shows are starting to resemble garage sales. I sometimes find a gun I like (and sometimes can afford), but a lot of the time I pick up reloading supplies, such as cast lead bullets and such.

8. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

I never buy guns at gun shows. The prices are rarely better, and often worse than at the stores. I go to the shows to buy small parts, magazines, and ammo.

9. flashman70

flashman70 New Member

Well we have pretty good shows here in northern VA. Stores want me to pay around $1180 for a new Springfield EMP. At the big gun show here recently I got it for $950. An H&K USP46c in stores is about $850-$900. I got it for $760. I prefer to patronize local stores, but at some point I also have to save myself a couple of bucks. Bulk ammo is also a good gun show buy. No cheaper than online, but no shipping.

10. ScottG

ScottG New Member

I've only been to shows in Las Vegas and Reno and the LV shows are all the same even though there are different promoters.

I don't think the problem is anyone else selling guns, but the anti-gunshow people around who make it difficult for many venues to hold them. That and the endless displays of non gun related merchandise!

I go looking for guns, but I've only bought one. I have to go on the last day because of work and many of the dealers have started to pack up when I get there.

It seems that the same vendors are there each time, I always wonder why they keep coming back when I never see anything go out the door?

11. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Gunshow Crazyness

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I can side on both sides of the GUN SHOW Isle? While, no one wants a show of overpriced goods? However, I have seen just the oppisite, Shows with a lot of good dealers and Prices, but the guy who comes in the door, with $5.00 in his pocket? How in the heck do I sell him a gun?

I have gotten a lot of geed deals from dealers, as the public wants to act like a bunch of cheap folks with NO DESIRE TO BUY ANYTHING? Remember, the door swings both ways? Dealers go to sell, Buy and Trade, they need to make $, if they don't the shows go down hill as we see now?

Most of my best buys have been from Guys or gals who walked in the door, But others by dealers clearing out of business? Why is that? Are the Prices too High, or are the folks too cheep?

Keep those things in mind, when you shop your local gunshow!

RON

12. kenmaz

kenmaz New Member

I hear ya, Ron.

There are only two gun-shows per year up here. One in the late fall, but a
    big one in Easter. This year, I spent over $500.00 CAD at the Easter Show
    and walked out with a perfectly fitting USAF Bomber Jacket, a decent pair
    of suspenders for one of my uniforms, and best of all, a Martini-Henry 450-570
    Rifle in shootable condition.

You're right though. How do you sell anything to someone with $5.00 in their
    jeans? Or how do you deal with the tire-kickers? Simple....just make sure
    you carry a bunch of peripheral crap that costs you a dime that you can sell
    for a dollar (get this...there was somebody at this show selling cammo-
    condums, the catch line was "make sure they don't see you coming..") and
    just smile at the tire-kickers...hell, you just might be able to get something...
    anything...from 'em.

Just a thought.

13. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Five dollars in my pocket??? I'll have you know I had much more than five dollars when I left the house.

Lessee: paid for parking, paid to get in, bought supersized drinks in wildlife shaped plastic cup, found nice "Indian Princess" plate the wife wanted, had to get the teriyaki-habanero flavored jerky, couldn't pass up the John Wayne (John Wain) collectable fake True Grit picture, completed the crystal set we bought for a wedding gift, signed up to buy a new smoker, wife had to try the vibrating chair, and get the special massage, added to our Indian jewelry collection, rounded out the square dance wardrobe, etc, etc, etc...........

Oh, yeah, guns. Er, got anything for five bucks?:D

In reality I have ideas for what I want, but I can't afford the higher prices. I know the sellers need to make a profit but I bought a Garand from the CMP for $500, an '03 Springfield for $400 and now a carbine for $500. Every gun show has the same guy selling tables full of M1s, '03s, '17s, and carbines. The lowest price is $2500. What does he hope to get out of this?

I've seen new in box Winchesters priced for around $600, but I can find them on the auction sites for less. Why pay the extra when that doesn't seem to be the going price today. I can understand for vintage, but not new.

When I bought my Makarov from a show I know from my research that I paid $20 more than what the going rate was. I didn't care because I have no intention of selling it. I'm fine with that, but I can't pay a premium because the seller wants to get more money out of the deal.

Thanks for your input Ron L.

14. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Gunshow maddness?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Thanks for all the folks that replied to my post and many of you who agree with me or dis-agree raise valid points! I said I was on BOTH sides of the GUN SHOW Madness, I do agree, many of my fellow dealers have lost thier Mind and Price the stuff! I also see a lot of good dealer, who price thier stuff well, leaving! The Guy wityh the $5.00 in his pocket, used to be the rare one, the one you'd hassle with and he'd leave? Now, at many shows here, he's your majority? I sell mostly surplus, with an occasional concignment item for someone so I see it, but not near as much as other dealers do? I have my share of Tire Kickers, as one fellow called them, and if you can't affoard a $1.00 P-38 Canopener, what are ya doing at a show, other than to look?

15. Brent L

Brent L New Member

Doubtless all you folks have tales to tell regarding gunshows. I regularly attend shows all over the Southwest but most in the DFW metroplex.( Dallas, Ft Worth, TX ) It has been my experience that if you are intent upon finding a particular firearm, you usually can. Most folks don't do enough negotiating with dealers to really make a deal (close). They don't possess the knowledge of negotiating. I NEVER have paid the "Advertised" price on a hang tag from a dealer or a private individual. Cash in hand is a big persuader!;)

Have a game plan. Do research on the firearm.Condition is everything in a used arm.Find out current pricing of local retailers. Use the internet to get information. Be persistant! Knowledge of a particular firearm's worth is essential. Some times you can make deals where none existed by your attitude. Don't have a "know it all" attitude, but be open to pass on your knowledge to the dealer. It can reap dividends!:D

16. marmac

marmac New Member

That's one of the best things I have read here in a while!! Attitude is a plus or a minus with anyone at a show. It never hurts to "butter the bread" once in a while.

I have found that some guys like to think they know better than you about EVERYTHING and, even if they don't, let them talk and brag a little!! All the while they do this, listen and don't straighten them out on little things. Just stand there looking at that $600 Winny and you just might get it for $500 when the dealing comes into play!!

MarMac

17. Brent L

Brent L New Member

Marmac, you are right on! My problem is usually not having the cash when I REALLY need it!