Guns you would never own.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, Feb 13, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I know we all know of at least one gun we would never own for any reason. What are they and why would you never own them?

Also, would you avoid a perfectly good gun because of who owned it, or it's history?

There are only a few gun I would avoid. The first one is the Hi-Point handgun. They are just plain fugly, and I have heard way too many bad things about them to actually want to own them. (I would possibly rent one just to test it, but unless I really like it for some reason, I don't plan on getting one.)

As for a gun I avoid because of it's history, that would be anything Nazi. Nazi stuff just creeps me out, and you never know who had that gun, and how it was used. (was it just a rarely touched sidearm/longarm, was it used to kill our soldiers, or was it used to execute holocost victims?)
    I see their stuff on Gunbroker all the time (half the time, it is sitting on a nazi flag like this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273422039), I have more of a problem with their pistols then their rifles, so I would be tempted to get a M98K. :rolleyes:
    I also have a problem with Japanese guns from the same period, but I would still buy them.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I see trouble in the future. :(

Everybody........play nice!

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I'm with you on not owning a Hi-Point Aaron as I have enough drills for awhile. As far as owning anything of historical significance I don't think I would turn anything down. Yes you don't know who was on the wrong end of the gun but I don't see me thinking much about it. It's no different than a civil war era firearm that more than likely killed a fellow American.

4. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

One gun I would not own is a Remington 740 , 7400 series. they are good for maby 1000 rounds and then you start to have problems with the bolt rails. Basicaly turning them into a bolt gun.
    F.K.

5. texaswoodworker

Yes, everyone PLAY NICE. Keep it civil!!!

6. texaswoodworker

Yeah, I can't really explain it, but Nazi guns just creep me out. I have no problem with ww1 German guns, or really any other historical guns. Just Nazi guns.
    That, and if you ever had to defend yourself, it would be bad enough if the media found out you have a lot of guns, let alone one with the swastika on it (unless it was a Russian capture). They would have a field day with you. :eek:

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

DPMS, Oly: cheaply built, overpriced.

8. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Hi point pistols mey be UGLY but they are Tougher than nails.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4&feature=relmfu[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HXtEvjlGg[/ame]

Oly is the only manufacture that offers a 22-250 and a 30 Oly. To me from what I have seen and shot the Oly and DPMS is just as good as any other AR on the market.

Lorcin is one gun I wouldn't own. That's about it.

9. cottontop

cottontop Guest

First of all, I have no problem w/ anyone having or owning any gun of their choice. That is their right and I will defend that right. There is nothing wrong w/ the guns I would never own, they are just not my cup of tea. I would never criticize a person or the gun just because I don't find it interesting. As long as they use it safely, I have no problem. That being said, I would never own the following: any kind of muzzle loader, any kind of handgun, any lever action except the M99 Savage or the M88 Winchester, a Mossberg M500 pump shotgun (I've had too many ejection problems w/ them), any fully auto or semi auto rifle or shotgun except a .22LR semi auto, any military rifle except a M98 Mauser or 1903 Springfield. I guess that narrows down my field, but I don't have the time, funds, or room to have guns in all of the genres, but those listed are the ones I would never have for sure.
    cottontop

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
  10. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Glock or any other plastic gun. They are all ugly and they feel funny, out of balance.

11. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

Remington 770. Straight garbage!
    And I would never own a hi- point pistol. My buddys has major ejection problems. And they look so crappy!

12. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

I wonder how many gun manufactures have a stroke every time they see a tread named "what gun would you not buy?"

I'll buy any gun if the price is right. I just try to avoid odd calibers, I have enough safe queens already.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

(Laughing as he rolls out the fire extinguisher)

There ARE a few I would not have- however, those are guns built SO cheaply their ONLY advantage is they may not shoot at all (so you do not get injured by the guns going BOOOOM as they self- disassemble)

That does NOT include Hi Points, Glocks, or (fill in name of gun you want to kick around this week). It DOES include the pot metal junk guns that were made in Europe during the 50s and 60s, such as Clerke, RG, Rohm, no name Spanish revolvers, etc. It does include some guns that do not have a good record of being reliable- Jennings, Raven, Jiminez, etc.

However, within the limits of what you SHOULD expect, some inexpensive guns are fun and decent shooters- Llama, Star, etc. No, they are not equal to a "best quality" gun, but not bad.

And one last- I would not buy a gun I could not shoot. Yes, it is a BEAUTIFUL mint condition unfired specimen of a rare gun that went out of production 50 years ago, and has NEVER been shot. Yeah- guess what is going to happen right after that gets cleaned and lubed!!! :D

As far as the military surplus guns- I would not buy a Mauser or Luger BECAUSE it had a waffenampt on it, nor would I turn one down. The gun is inanimate, and not responsible for what a person did with it. Have a couple of firearms from Vietnam- they are MINE now.

14. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Same here. I sense a storm coming. Please maintain the peace.

As far as hating Nazi memorabilia, I don't have a problem with it. The NAZI jerk that was using the equipment was the problem.

15. texaswoodworker

There aren't my cup of tea, but I have to admit they are one tough SOB. Those videos were entertaining too.

Wow that cuts out a lot of guns. I'm guessing you like to shoot long range targets with a good old fasion bolt gun. :cool:

If I was a gun manufacturer, this is exactly the type of thread I want too see. It shows me what not to do, and if one of my guns makes the list, It helps me to identify the problem, and fix it.:D

Thank you for the list of guns to not get, and thank you for the list of cheap good guns. I'll have to go check some out now.:D
    I understand guns are just tools, but it's just something I cannot explain. There is something about Nazi pistols that I just don't like. I cannot really name any other gun I don't like because of its history.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I would love to have a Viet Nam era SKS with a spike bayonet.

17. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I think I have seen enough posts about the Remington 770 to convince me not to buy one. :p

18. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I agree,and if you don't grip it for dear life it becomes a jam-o-matic.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

I wouldn't worry at all about a gun's history, as C3 pointed out, it's an inanimate object. I almost bought a Ruger single action .44 mag (can't remember the exact model) for dirt cheap, the man selling it was asking $200. He was getting rid of it because it only had one shot fired through it, the one his son used to commit suicide. The gun had not been cleaned. Only reason I don't have it is because someone else beat me to it.

I would get a GLOCK, but only if all my other desires were satisfied first and there simply wasn't anything left on the market for me to spend money on.

I can't think of any gun that I would just turn down. Many that I would pass on for being overpriced, or because I want something else instead, but none that I would just flat out refuse to own.

20. texaswoodworker

In that situation, I would take it, but I would really perfer NOT to know what it had been used for.
    Now if anyone was just giving a gun away, heck yeah I would take it regardless of brand, history, or condition. (I would be a little suspicious though :D).