Guns in the apartment

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ShagNasty1001, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

In August, I am moving out into an apartment with a few friends and we are all avid gun users but ones mom called to see if guns were allowed and they said no. Would any of y'all still take any? It's a gated complex but the gates are only shut at night and we are about a mile or two from the heart of the college campus in town

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I would have one pistol or shotgun and have it secured (lockbox) at all times. I would NOT mention it to any of the others in the apartment or to others who might be in my home.

Based on my experience with group living, make sure you have a private space to call your own and put a damn good lock on your door (you can swap back for move out).

I am assuming you have no opportunity to move somewhere that allows firearms.

3. detroit2786

detroit2786 New Member

Depends on your storage options. Take a defense option at least, regardless of apartment rules. I don't know if I would bring a full collection into a house with multiple college age roommates. Have a good place to lock up your firearm when you are not there.

I had one with me in my college apartment, but that was when I either lived alone or with my girlfriend. I stayed with buddies for a year and didn't have one in the apartment during that drunk fest.

4. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I believe this has been discussed before and the consensus from all of us internet lawyers* was that while it may violate your lease unless there is a legal reason guns are not allowed you are only going to possibly be evicted not jailed. Careful though in some states violating a lease may have a penalty fee imposed against you by the landlord.

I would look elsewhere and let the apartment complex know why. if enough people vote with their wallet policies might change. Simply ignoring their rule is accepting their policies and encouraging them to keep it in effect.

*Fake internet lawyers

5. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I thought I would bring my 1911 with me and stick it in a lock box under my bed and just leave it there unless i go to the range. The rest of my guns are all long guns and I would be able to leave at my parents house (across town). We've already got our rooms picked out and it is too late to choose a different place to live since our lease was signed a long time ago with no knowledge of this stupid rule.

6. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

We would leave but it would cost us first months rent now and last months so that'd be about 900 at the least per person

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Secure the lock box to something bigger than your door, and then secure the door. Locked doors can prevent MANY roommate issues without upesetting anybody who is remotely honest.

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Is this policy mentioned in the lease? What state are you in?

9. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

I've never heard of a no gun policy in an apt complex, I think id carefully read your lease to see if its actually a co policy and not just the leasing agent just saying so. Sounds fishy. Now I am assuming they're regular apts, not some sort dorm housing.

10. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Not in writing? Not binding.

11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I'm in Oklahoma. And I don't believe so, I have to double check the lease when I get home

12. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

They're just regular apartments, not associated with the college at all except they have a shuttle to and from and I believe that is it

13. triggerjob

triggerjob New Member

I've lived in plenty of apartments and rental houses and I've never once asked if my guns were allowed. That seems like a strange thing to question.

PS I live in CA, so I suppose if I asked the answer woluld be NO but why ask in the first place?

14. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

We were gonna all chip in for a nice safe and just do it to begin with but one guys mom (she's antigun) called when she got wind of it for some reason

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I am not a lawyer (we had one here for a while, but some of the questions y'all asked left him in a fetal position under his bed)

Nonetheless, would offer you 3 bits of wisdom-

1. If you know it is against the rules, don't. You can challenge the rules, but KNOWINGLY violating someone else's rule is never a good idea.

2. If you have not already read your lease, please do not take up reloading, scuba or skydiving. Those things require attention to detail. NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SIGN ANYTHING YOU HAVE NOT READ AND UNDERSTOOD. Unless someone is holding a loaded gun to your head.

3. In real estate, there is no such thing as an unwritten contract. The lease sets terms and conditions. Of course, you cannot break the law or damage the property, but unless it says "X" is not permitted- IN WRITING- it is not prohibited.

16. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

When we were signing, there was nothing in it about guns, neither having them or not, that was the one thing I looked for specifically. And on a side note to bit #2, I'm 3 classes and 15 dives away from my master diver ;)

17. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

I think it's complete BS. I would understand the rule "if it is the rule" but only if you were staying in campus apartments. It's reasonable not to have pets in some places because you're just renting, not buying and pets can piss off your land lords and neighbors. But NO guns. That's a load of crap. PROTECTION IS NEEDED!!!! If I was in your position I would buy some damn good locks for your front door and bed room door, strip down your rifles and shotguns, put them in a doufle bag along with your pistols and stash them really well under your bed. Good luck!

18. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Well got off the phone with the manager. Apparently they didn't have to put "no firearms" in the lease since they have signs up around the buildings (never saw one when I was there) and they don't want guns since we're so close to campus and with the shuttle they don't want a chance of a weapon getting onto campus. Like that'll stop some stupid person in the first place... I'm just gonna have a lock box under my bed for "valuables" and leave my long guns at my parents home since its 5 miles away

19. TheRicho1

TheRicho1 New Member

Sounds like bologna.

If it isn't in writing along with your signature then I say go for it. I wouldn't strut around with my gun on my shoulder though - but you can bet your ass I'd be bringing a few with me. Discretion is your best bet , with your roommates as well.. Let them do their thing and you do yours.

20. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Shag what apts are you moving to, I'm from okc (years ago) and just curious. Pm me if you'd rather.