guns in commercial vehicles

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by rebelcowboy, Oct 12, 2013.

1. rebelcowboy

rebelcowboy New Member

Is it legal to have a gun in a commercial vehicle and if so where can find references?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

It might vary by states.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

we have discussed this here several times.

There is nothing in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Act that says you cannot.

Now, if you are looking for a law that says you CAN, you will have a problem- since laws generally say what you CANNOT do. Are there places you cannot take a gun IN a commercial vehicle? Sure. Do not take one into a Marine Port, Military base, gasoline refinery, explosives manufacturer, etc.

If someone tells you there is a law that says that you cannot, ask them for the law.

Want to double check? I will bet you a doughnut that your State Police has a Motor Carrier Safety Division. Talk to them.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

plus to expand on what C3 said, many times it's not the law that says a person can't carry in a commercial vehicle, but many times company policies that prohibit it from being done.

IOW's, not illegal but you could be fired for having one in a commercial vehicle, per company rules.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would have no problem allowing myself to carry my firearm in my small business commercial vehicle.

6. rebelcowboy

rebelcowboy New Member

Thanks everyone for the information once again you all come through

7. jeepnjonny

jeepnjonny New Member

FedEx has a huge no weapons policy. That really was a pain when I drove for them.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Re: FedEx- yep- as do other companies. HOWEVER- that is a company regulation, and NOT a law.

9. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I am certain firearms may be transported in commercial vehicles. That's how they get to the stores.

10. jeepnjonny

jeepnjonny New Member

Haha I have delivered many guns and unloaded way too much ammo by hand. But it did make some good connections for later purchases!

11. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

I delivered to Herlong Ammo Depot. At the entry gate I was asked if we (wife & I) had any firearms, binoculars or a camera. We had all three. I handed them over. They gave them all back upon exiting/ Both my recolver and my wife's semiauto were still loaded. I was impressed! I think this was in 1978. I was an owner/operator. (my truck and trailer.)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Adminstration rules are Nation Wide.
    Title #18 Crimes and Criminal Procedures Part 1 Crimes Chapter 44 firearms. Section 926A Interstate Transportation of firearms in Commercial vehicles.
    These laws prohibit a firearm or ammunition being accessible to the driver. The firearm must be locked in a secure box or safe. The ammunition cannot be stored near the firearm.:(

13. rebelcowboy

rebelcowboy New Member

This is the way we are to transport all firearms in any vehicle not just trucks unless we have a concealed carry thanks for information everyone