Guns in cars

Discussion in 'Tennessee Gun Forum' started by AmPaTerry, Aug 20, 2014.

1. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

I see that Tennessee has passed a new law in July that allows Tennesseans who do NOT have a CCW who legally own a gun to carry it loaded in a legally owned car.

What I DON'T find is WHERE they can carry it. Does it have to be in the trunk?
    Can it be openly laying in the seat or up on the dash within easy reach of the driver?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

3. AmPaTerry

Thank you!

I tried to find it on the search page your link led to, but failed.

4. c3shooter

sorry- you have to "drill down" do get to the statute. C&P-

(e) (1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is carrying or possessing a firearm or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle if the person:

(A) Is not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) or purchasing a firearm by § 39-17-1316; and

(B) Is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle.

(2) As used in this subsection (e):

(A) "Motor vehicle" has the same meaning as defined in § 55-1-103;

(B) "Motor vehicle" does not include any motor vehicle that is:

(i) Owned or leased by a governmental or private entity that has adopted a written policy prohibiting firearms or ammunition not required for employment within such a motor vehicle; and

(ii) Provided by such entity to an employee for use during the course of employment.

5. AmPaTerry

Thank you again!
    From the way the law is written, anyone could carry a gun while riding their motorcycle - provided, of course, that they left it on the bike when they parked and walked away from it.

6. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

its close to what Texas has on the books except in Texas it must be concealed and Texas also covers you legally while traveling to/from vehicle home and business

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yes, exactly true. in Texas the Castle Law extends to you vehicle and place of employment.

carjackers don't do so well in Texas!:p

8. c3shooter

I'm not sure, but I think when you buy a car in Texas, they include a spare tire, lug wrench, jack and a gun.

:p

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

only new cars. used ones they give you a coupon to use at the local gun store!:p