Guns i may need

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by tenntyrant, Nov 6, 2011.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

This is what I have what guns should I add to be covered for survival situations?
    AR 15 5.56
    Ruger 10/22
    Glock 23 40cal

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

A shotgun like the Remington 870 Express Magnum or the Mossberg 590A1.

3. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

I would consider adding another rifle with more knock down power, like something in .308. It doesn't have to be a battle rifle, a bolt gun will do but the versatility of another battle rifle would be a plus.

4. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

What do you guys suggest in a shotgun and a bolt action brand and caliber, I will be buying new and want the best for the least money.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

The above mentioned shotties will fit the bill nicely. Winchester finally came back out with the model 70 which is supposed to be a throwback to the pre '64 model 70's.

6. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

All of the listed would function great for SHTF, but remember the stock pile of ammo to feed all of them.

7. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

If you need a cheap shotty, New England Firearms make one called the Pardner protector, it is a Remington 870 knockoff, its a little heavier but just as reliable. They used to be about $170 but may have gone up.

As far as a cheap bolt gun goes, Savage makes a nice bolt gun that is pretty nice, Dick's Sporting Goods used to run specials on them alot I think the were Model 111 or something, they used to have scoped combos for around $400, they included the adjustable accu-trigger too.

Hope this helps!

8. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

Like a saiga 308.

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I have a Stevens 12GA 18.5 with ghost sights I just picked up a few weeks ago for 200 OTD. It's American made and shoots really nice. Only issue I have come to find out is accessorizing it is a little harder than a Mavrick 88 or Rem 870.

10. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Thats the plus side to the New England Pardner, it excepts all of the Rem 870 accesories. If fact the only thing that isnt interchangeable is the barrel, they claim that barrels need to be fitted to the receiver. I'm willing to bet that you could slap an 870 barrel on w/o any trouble, but why screw with it.

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Gives me a reason to go pick up another gun :D I'm sure the wifey would love that...lol.

12. TLuker

TLuker New Member

For my own personal guns, I've always believed that I should always have a large caliber bolt action that will drive tacks (.308), a shotgun, a pistol, a .22, and a semi automatic rifle (for SHTF and hunting). Those five guns cover pretty much every need you could have for a gun be it hunting or defense.

13. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Should I get a shotgun first or a bolt action rifle? And should I get a 308 or a 30/06? I live in Tennessee. I went tonight and purchased some more 40cal ammo and two more mags for my glock, I also got a strip lula for my 5.56. Right now I have 610 rounds of 5.56, 2000 rounds of 22 lr, and 325 rounds of 40cal. How much should I plan on stock up on for each gun?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  14. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

Get a shotgun next a good pump shotgun in 12ga. If your on blood thinners get a 20 ga. 870 or Mossberg 500 will do fine. Buy all the shells you can for it in all load sizes. Once you have a thousand rounds for each of your weapons and 6000 for the 22lr then get yourself a 308 and then work on getting 1000 rounds for it. I have seen a lot of 308 new with a scope for $325. The reason I tell you to have all that ammo is so you can take your weapons out on a date at least once a month. A person that doesn't practice with their weapons shouldn't be carrying them. Good luck and don't forget the food and water.

15. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

My issue is weight. How do you plan on carrying or even HAVING all of these weapons and the ammo along with your necessities on your back. Unless you just plan on sitting right in your home for a SHTF situation. And if you do, do you have the basic necessities to survive in the first place? (Food, clean water, etc.) If I had 2 abandon everything or if I was surviving, as far as stranded in the wilderness, I'd have my remington model 700 30-06 SPS, a 12 gauge, and a .22 pistol. Now if I was in a SHTF scenario like oh Idk... A zombie invasion, then I would have a ruger 10/22, an assault rifle, and a centerfire pistol. Now don't get me wrong, its never bad 2 have allot of guns and ammo, but I would designate certain guns for certain purposes.

16. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

As well as limit my ammo if I need 2 travel.

17. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Just ordered another 17 thirty round boxes of federal xm193j that will have me up to 1120 rounds of 5.56.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You may need to be quiet to survive. Firing a rifle or pistol could give your location away and draw 2 legged predators. Consider these options.
    Pellet gun, quiet and easy to carry 1000 rnds. (22 cal)
    Sling shot and ball bearings or buckshot.
    Bow and arrows or crossbow and bolts.
    Silenced 22 rifle or pistol.
    Snares and/or traps.
    Throw net.
    Basic fishing gear.

19. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I would get the 12ga first. You might not need anything else after that? I've always believed in having five guns, but that's for my needs. I've always deer hunted and so I favor the .308. You've got an AR15 and that along with your other guns may do everything you need? There's not much you couldn't do with the AR15 in a SHTF situation so long as you're accurate with it.

I would recommend a 12ga. but go with what you're comfortable with. The only advantage I give a 12 over a 20 is available ammo in a SHTF situation. Being comfortable with the gun you're shooting is far more of an advantage than potential ammo availability.

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I think you are thinking of the Savage Model 110 (Sporter). Fine gun. My son owns one.