Guns guns guns.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Raphmation, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Raphmation

Raphmation New Member

Hey guys. I joined for a rather specific reason, my dad recently passed away and left behind a rather sizable gun collection for my ma' to deal with. She's got some licensed dealer on the case and I'm a little worried.

I was wondering if there was somewhere here I could post up some pictures and get some more opinions on value and whether or not I should hold on to said firearm(s) or not.

I checked around the web, looking at running auctions and whatnot, and have been able to gather a little info, but some of these are old and I can't find much...if anything. Maybe you folks can help--or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

That's a problem

This is why my wife does not know the combo to my gun safe.:D I keep in a safe deposit box that my son inherits, along with the safe and everything in it.:cool:
    If you can't find values at gunbroker.com because you can't find any for sale then the collection could be old and rare...both good things. You can pick up a copy of the Gun Blue Book at any online bookstore, it's updated every year and very complete. This will give you value ranges based on date, make, model, date of manufacture, "e-mail the manufacturer with the serial number for this", and condition. The book runs about $35.00 but if your dealing with a large collection, it's well worth it.:)
    Also, posting pic's and descriptions would be a treat for everyone. This is like a sailor finding a chest half buried in the sand!:D What's in it!

3. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

I'm with Tackleberry1 on the pics of what's in the safe or at least describe them. After all you might get some good hits for pricing info and what you need to hang on to. Plus you might also aquire some buyers in here:D

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

First, let me say that I am sorry for your loss.

The dealer may very well be a stand up guy. However, the idea is to protect your Father's investment for your Mother. The Blue Book is an excellent idea as well as posting pictures here for second opinions. There's some extremely knowledgeable people here.

If you have questions, post them and the good folks here will try and help.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

If you have no use for the guns and just want to get the money out of them I would recomand an auction. Check around your local area and find an auctioner that sell alot of guns at action and let him set it up. I`ve watched a lot of guns sell at auction and saw very few go to cheap.

6. Raphmation

Raphmation New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've got some pics of just about all of em' individually--I'll start posting some of the older/nicer ones when I get some free time...what section of the forum should I put them in?

and I do have a bit of use for them, I do some shooting at least every week in the summer. I put my name (so to speak) on a few of them immediately.

I'll be getting back to you guys later, thanks again.

7. Raphmation

Raphmation New Member

Alright I didn't know where to put this so I figured I'd throw em' in here and you guys would move it if it's not in the right spot. Here comes the eye candy(?) Sorry, I'll read up on posting pics :D Not sure if I did it right....

Attached Files:

8. Raphmation

Raphmation New Member

not much info in the pics, they were taken a couple years ago for insurance or something....I can take more detailed ones or describe conditions at some point. For the most part they're pretty well taken care of, lol I remember having to oil them UUGH! lol.

9. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

I use to have one of those savages. Yours is in much better condition than mine was. great pics! Are those for sale or just gettin an idea for a price? I sold my savage for $200.00 and it had some bad pitting on the barrel. Your clip has the patent 1906 right?

10. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

That was the only place that I remember seeing any markings on mine for a date. It's on the side that faces the trigger guard.

11. Raphmation

Raphmation New Member

I'll have to get back to you this weekend when I can get a look at it. The Savage is mine, along with that old Marlin and a newer Marlin to go with it. The Silver Hawk was my uncle's, who also passed away, so I don't think it will ever go anywhere. Not really sure about the .243, kind of a piece of **** in my experience, just curious about it. The falling block .22-250 is probably going to be for sale at some point maybe. I really want to hold on to it though, holds a few childhood memories...

I'm not looking to sell right now, just looking for values and whatnot....maybe in the future...

I've got about 20 more to post I think and some more that I don't even have pics of yet.

12. Raphmation

Raphmation New Member

Aaahh. Missed the comment about Gunbroker.com...I've also been looking through other auctions and whatnot.

I'll just post the really old **** that I cant find and whatnot so as not to waste anyones time.

Also, I must be clear: None of these are for sale unless otherwise noted. Sorry, even if I decide to sell any of these it will probably be a while before I actually intend to sell them. Now is not the right time.

13. AK-47

AK-47 New Member

14. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

on your browning 243 are you sure it's not BBR and not BAR? IF it's BBR, and in good shape ( and it looks as if it is) High end $700 (Blue book)