Guns and Knives

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by GreyEclipse, Feb 19, 2010.

1. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse New Member

I've NEVER understood why people think carrying a concealed gun is more important than carrying a knife. I personally think its far more important to have a knife readily available. A knife is a multi-tool, a gun can also be a multi-tool but guns are more of a single purpose tool. I have carried a knife almost everyday of my life since I was around the age of five. I became an avid collector at five and I've never looked back. Now I understand the want for a CCW but I find a knife to be just as useful as a gun and maybe even more so in fact. Don't get me wrong, I love my guns and I understand the need and want to have one on my person but I see my knives as just as important as my guns. So my question to you all is, do you carry a knife?
    And how important is carrying a knife to you compared to carrying a firearm?

2. Buzzard Bait

Buzzard Bait New Member

I have carried a knife since my earliest memories, I'm 49. I always carry two, one is a midsize pocket knife for utility purposes, the other is a larger defensive blade. And then there is the large multitool that is usually nearby.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

A knife is valuable; however, never bring a knife to a gunfight...:D

5. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

As much as I love knives (and believe me, I do love them), I consider them tools that can be a last ditch weapon rather than pure weapons. In most posible scenarios, I'd rather be armed with a gun than a knife.

I do carry at least a couple of knives all the time, but mostly for their utility value. I train knife fighting (mostly with kerambits and hawkbills) because I believe in being as prepared as posible, and because carry permits in my country are good for only one year and it's quite common for the government not to renew them for a couple of years after they expire. So I might not always be able to carry a gun. :(

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

A knife is a KNife, not a multi-tool. They arent screwdrivers or chisels, cause damnit, Ive broken plenty of good blades by trying to use them as such.......

7. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse New Member

Actually, I love that quote because it is so wrong.
    Statistically if I were 21 feet from a armed civilian...I could pull a knife and stab him before he could pull the gun from his holster.

Knives are highly underrated as a CQC weapon.
    Of course, most people would be too frightened of a man with a gun.
    But there are those crazies out there and those are the ones that normally survive the gun shot wounds long enough to kill those around them.

Buzzard Bait-You are well prepared then. =)

8. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse New Member

A knife cuts rope and it cuts skin...therefore...multitool.

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed, many armed men with a firearm have fallen pray to an individual with a blade, by frontal assault and especially from behind.

A knife can be used for many purposes, but mainly for cutting, slicing, scraping, stabbing and puncture purposes, so it is more of a "multi-cutting" tool.

Jack

10. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Used a knife to fix my mouse at a LAN party once. Definite multi-tool.

11. CA357

Knives are good. Knives are useful. Guns are better.

[​IMG]

12. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse New Member

Guns require bullets. Knives require nothing.
    Guns aren't better, if anything, they are equal.

I love my guns but I also love my knives.

13. CA357

Not gonna argue.

14. bigtiller

bigtiller New Member

I carry a little 2 inch lock blade knife for general use.

I also walk a lot and after having a number of the towns dogs charge me I started carring a 7 inch Fusion blade by Sog and a big bottle of mase. The sherriff didn't think I needed a CCW to carry my LCR.

15. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

I to have carried a knife since a young age. i currently carry my benchmade bali-song or my winchester fixed blade. I figure if i run out of ammo ill just use my knife skills and training and hopefully kill the ****er thats trying to harm me... or my family or friends.

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Can you prove that? Don't get my wrong, I have carried a knife of some sort every day since I was a kid and I probably always will but if someone attacks me, I'm not going for my knife. You don't think I can clear leather and at least burry the barrel into your gut and get a round off by the time you reach me?

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You have that somewhat backwards. I believe you were trying to reference the Tueller drill.

Tueller Drill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's about a goblin already having the kinfe out and you having a gun holstered, not about drawing a knife or gun faster.

18. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Gott'a agree with Brian. I CC, and as I am armed right now, you're going to have lead coming at you from a moving target before you close the original distance. I only say that because I'm one of those weirdos that stands in his living room and practices over and over and over again. It's not an obsession, it's just a responsibility.
    And I do own a knife or two:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  19. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

That is outstanding Gork, because everyone who carries better be practicing to be able to move and shoot at the same time IMO. Whether it be forward or lateral, or even backwards. A moving target is much harder to strike then a stationary target. To aggressively move closer to your target, the greater your chances of striking your target, using cover, if necessary.

Failure to move forward or laterally of your target can be a tactical mistake in some situations.....like here. :(

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQE4f0fkLNg"] knife beats gun[/ame]

Jack

20. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

A little creativity is all you need to anchor some of the basics. At my regular range, about all they have to mix things up are patritions on both sides of the lane. With them, you can work on popping out single-handed on either side, two-handed either side, and transition from standing to kneeling and back in slow-fire mode. Muzzle ettiquette and trigger timing are the real safety concerns, but the employment thought is getting on target from several different positions in rapid succession without actually being to see it. It's not much, but it's a step above 4K rounds in a perfect Weaver stance.
    Practice only works if you find weak points, so when you think you have something suitcased, make it a little harder. It keeps it fun, and it makes you better.
    Great example in the video. If the knife-thrower had a gun, the video would have been quite a bit shorter.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010