guns and children

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by BeverlyAnnB, Nov 3, 2012.

1. BeverlyAnnB

BeverlyAnnB New Member

so being a single mom and a new gun owner i am obsessing over were i put this thing wete it will protect my family from others and themselves. several people have stated that their children "know better" than to touch a gun . personly i dont rely on my child knowing better to touch my phone let alone a gun

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i grew up learning about firearms from an early age, so there wasn't any curiousity with them. that is what gets children hurt or killed, curiousity. depending on their ages, maybe it's time ot teach them about firearms and the dangers of them.

firearms are tools and need to be respected. if handled improperly or not respected they can hurt or kill you. this is what was taught to me.

invest in a biometric gun safe too.

3. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Exactly. I grew up on a farm in Idaho. We all knew about my Dads, and then all my brothers rifles in the broom closet just in case a Coyote came around. And as Axxe says, get a nice strong lock box and get it bolted to the wall or floor.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You refer to the firearm as "this thing". I have to wonder if you are ready to own a firearm? The best thing you can do is rethink gun ownership. If you decide to keep a firearm complete the NRA Home Defense course. This covers the questions you have posted.:)

5. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

or buy a strong padlock and run it through the slide or cylinder window. keep one key in the house, bury the other one. Keep the key with you on a necklace where your holster was going to hang.

6. RobertsDefense

RobertsDefense New Member

I would agree 110% with the biometric safe. This will keep your firearm safe yet accessible if you need to take it out to protect your family. The second suggestion (as stated above) go take a class on firearms safety. Until you take the class, you (or anyone else that is new to firearms) probably aren't ready to use it safely in the home. I would also STRONGLY suggest getting a membership to your local range and shoot often. Going to a range and actually firing your weapon on a monthly (or more) will build your confidence and safe handling skills.

As far as the children go, I am not going to tell you what you need to do there. My two girls (3 and 5) know what a gun is and that it is VERY dangerous for them to touch. I feel they should know what a gun is and that they should never touch it and get an adult immediately. On the other end of it, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure your weapon is securely locked up and that it is not accessible to your kids.

7. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

Lets see children only " know better" if you teach them given its a "deadly force" the age of the children is a huge factor in teaching them about weapons, so how old are your children?
    I will say a weapon is only as good as how fast you can get to them. Do you really wanna be juggling keys padlock & ammo god forbid the occasion arises? I doubt that... Biometric safe is your best bet & practice room clearing & loading mags or speed loaders is gonna make you efficient as well... The NRA course does sound great.... Even if you don't wanna carry its a great idea to take a conceal carry course as its mostly about safety & scenario plus rules... Hope we all were some sort of help

8. BeverlyAnnB

BeverlyAnnB New Member

i have joined the range and enlisted quite a fruends trained in firearms to each spend time with me practicing snd i wont have the gun loaded until i am trained. i assure u ive called all around for a course and there r none around. best i did since i know the local police academy director thru work i talked him into giving me a few hrs a week at his personal range. and the point made about getting the gun out of some locked up high place when needed

9. BeverlyAnnB

BeverlyAnnB New Member

makes having 'this thing' or taurus pt22 pistol ;) useless. my child is 4 and at this point she is no where near were she would not be curious but i will teach her but still keep the gun locked up. right now i think i am getting use to owning a firearm.

10. Axxe55

Beverly, you are really the only one who will know when your child is ready to learn and understand firearms and how dangerous they are. i think the biometric gun safe is going to be your best option. no keys, and can only be opened by you or those you choose to allow access. they are not very expensive either. good luck and be safe.

11. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

There is no place you could hide your firearm that a child will not find ... even in a safe. Your best options are,

1. Educate your child on the safety and proper use of the firearm - do not use fear but instead teach them respect
    2. In your case of owning a pistol, get a biometric safe - it will at the least make it very difficult for your child to crack open

I grew up in a house with parents who forbade guns ... hell my mother went ape**** when I bought myself a compound bow at 16. Yet they never once saw the irony in the fact that Dad had all manner of dangerous power tools, equipment and materials in the garage :rolleyes: (i was using his table saw at the age of 8, started a brush fire with gasoline at the age of 9, cut down my 1st tree before I was 10)

kids will be kids ... educate them as best you can ;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  12. BeverlyAnnB

BeverlyAnnB New Member

i will deffinately get the bio safe . and think about how to educate her. i remember my dad cleaning guns but dont ever remember seeing them around.

13. Axxe55

they have safety courses for children as well. might be an option. every child matures at different ages and you are going to be the judge as to when you feel your child is ready to learn.

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

one thing that is nearly universal with kids ... they will imitate what they see. If your daughter sees that you own a firearm she will want to be like mommy. Maybe put some thought into getting her one for her own - not a real firearm :rolleyes: just something that lets her "feel" like she is "being like mommy" ;)

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

16. KansasCandR

KansasCandR New Member

This is where you should start and I'll tell you why...

I'm a city boy, having been born in Brooklyn, NY and living in the city or suburban NJ until I was 18. When I left NJ I had only touched a gun a couple of times and I had never fired one.

My first time touching a gun was very nearly my last. I was in elementary school at the time. My best friend knew where his father kept a very nice revolver. One day, while we were playing "Army Games - Cold War edition" (a game we hastily created when we were bored and tired of "Cops & Robbers" and "Cowboys & Indians"), my friend said" Do you want to see a real gun?" What happened next is very predictable. We snuck into the master bedroom and pulled a step stool out of the closet. Within seconds, I was holding a beautiful presentation box, the contents of which held what I now know to be a 357 Magnum. A partial box of ammo was there too. My friend told me to grab it and point it like we'd seen in so many cowboy movies. Pointing it right at my friend's chest, my finger resting softly on the trigger, I was amazed by the size and weight of the gun. Suddenly, we heard someone coming up the stairs. In a panic, my friend grabbed the gun and got everything up on the shelf just before the bedroom door opened. Needing a good excuse we told him that our sisters were playing "hide & seek". We were told that the bedroom was off limits so we ran out to play in the yard. A few days later I found out that the gun was loaded. Had my friend's father not come upstairs at the right moment, I completely believe that I would have shot my friend at point blank range.

I started teaching my kids about firearms safety when they were two years old. I believe that the Eddie Eagle program should be mandatory for all children. It will save lives, possibly the life of someone you know.

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Ignorance kills. Educate yourself and your daughter at the same time with the NRA Eddie Eagle course. The find a Hunter safety course near you and take that even if you never plan on going hunting. It has a great deal of education on gun safety. Continue to reach out to people near you and hopefully someone will step up and help you out. You didn't mention where you are located. Maybe you are near someone here on the Forum who might be able to help out?

18. BeverlyAnnB

BeverlyAnnB New Member

Kansas that is scary, but happens so often! and not always with your outcome!

I'm in PA, near Pittsburgh. I do have some friends that will be taking me out. I just ordered the Program.

19. Shannon1976

Shannon1976 New Member

I have taken the program that is being suggested, and it was well worth the time and money.
    I also have two kids and I insist on them taking courses. Even if they don't like shooting they have to be educated about the way you plan on defending your home (hopefully none of us ever have to.) Just like fire safety. Good luck

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

But even so, please always keep the gun locked up when not on you.