Gunny gets idiot mark from M18

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dearhunter, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I watched Gunny on the outdoor channel last night. He was shooting the new Sword M18 358 sniper rifle. First shot and the scope cut his for head over the right eye leaving (Idiot mark). He required a little first aid. I had to laugh because I think lot of us have done this at one time or the other. (but usually early in our shooting days) His guest was Navy Seal Craig "Sawman" Sawyer who helped design the M18.

That M18 is one hell of a rifle. Scope 5-25. Carbon fiber wrapped barrel . 10 round mag. Plus, red dot mounted at side angel for close quarters shooting.
    It had all the bells and whistles. Even night time laser.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Just about everyone that fires my Wby the first time gets a scope cut.
    I don't crawl the stock and the steel tube Weaver can get you if you hold it loose or a whole lot of guns will.

3. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I got a Marlin 45/70 lever and the first thing I do is tell or show all how I shoot it
    The rifle does nave some kick . No blood yet .......!

4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

WWII Hump Pilot uncle:
    "Hold on to it kid or it'll get ya."
    Me:
    "Got it unc, got it."
    300 Weatherby:
    "Bang"
    A new Weatherby eye, drip, drip, drip.

5. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

I had a State Arms 50 BMG that has given shooters scope eye

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

OMG. Was the rifle okay?

:D

7. gunman41mag

The Nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope that was on the rifle is ok:smile gallery:

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The first time my son shot my 30-06 it hit him in the eye. But luckily I always make him wear glasses when he shoots. His are smooth plastic. So he was not cut. But he said it whacked him pretty good just the same.

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Depends on what you paid for the glasses... I'd rather have a cut eyebrow than a scratch on a Transitions lens.

10. Robert121571

Robert121571 New Member

I still have that copy of that show on my DVR from when it originally aired earlier this year. I was going to watch it when it was going to air and as soon as I saw him say you want to record it then I knew it was that one he got the scope.

That is not the first one of him getting it on TV. Think it was his show called lock n load when he got popped the same way and I recall him saying that was not the first time then.

11. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Odd.
    Why didn't Sawyer warn him about the recoil and scope position, knowing it was the FIRST TIME he had handled that rifle???
    If someone is shooting my 1911 for the first time and I see their thumb high enough to get cut by the slide, I don't just stand there silent and let it happen! If someone is shooting my Ruger .44 mag and they adopt a one hand bent elbow stance, I sure as HECK would SAY something before they fired it -

I don't blame Gunny here - I blame Sawyer.

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Whatever happened, it was a good unscripted moment, good for the show = good for Ermey. Evidently he wasn't afraid of the idiot mark comments, he is way over that.

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

How much I eye relief does the scope have ?

When you are really concentrating on the crosshairs, you may not notice you are crawling up the stock...bang, ouch, emergency room...Obamacare

14. gunman41mag

Most of the time my friends have received scope eye is when they don't have the rifle pressed tight against their shoulder & the recoil of the rifle pushes the scope into their eye

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

A tight gun really helps me w skeet. I have seen some experienced shooters get whacked so I'm going to give everyone a mulligan on idiot cuts.

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I have NEVER gotten an Idiot mark, knock on wood !.....................

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

And who scratched the 1911 frame putting the slide stop back in? Not you?? Then who?

:D

18. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never seen anybody get a cut from a scope, but I did see a guy get a bloody nose on the trap range from a Browning A5!

19. gunman41mag

I have a MAVRICK 12 gauge with just a pistol grip, so i shoot it from the hip & let the recoil swing my arm back, had a big brut friend that brought the 12 gauge up to eye level & before I can say {i won't do that} He pulled the trigger & the shotgun hit him in the mouth:eek: blood gushing from his split upper lip & both front upper teeth where loose:( Took him home & his wife wasn't too happy. After that i some times call him SPLIT LIPS

20. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Poor bastard, he will never outlive that one and his wife will ensure he never forgets it as well.

Only way it could be worse - relive it on YouTube's epic fail series...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015