Gunny Ermey has gone to the big barracks in the sky

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by locutus, Apr 15, 2018.

1. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

"Gunny" R. Lee Ermey passed from complications of pneumonia.

"SEMPER FI" gunny!

Sniper03, RJF22553, danf_fl and 2 others like this.
  2. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

R.I.P. That's a shame I enjoyed his shows on the History channel, Mail Call, and Lock and Load.

locutus, Dallas53 and MisterMcCool like this.

3. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

R.I.P. Gunny! You will be missed!

4. Ross82

Ross82 Well-Known Member Supporter

RIP, always enjoyed him!

5. RKB

RKB Active Member

Dayum. He was a good one.

6. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Active Member Supporter

R.I.P. Gunny you will be missed.

7. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry to hear. Will miss seeing him.

8. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

say it ain't so! i really liked his shows on the History Channel, and he was in few movies, and was not bad an actor either.

RIP Gunny.

9. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

"He served his country honorably. He entertained us, taught us a few things. He made us
    all laugh."
    I can think of no finer epitaph for a Noble American.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Billy9mm, RJF22553 and locutus like this.
  10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Rest in peace Sarg !................

11. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

He was good in fmj. RIP

12. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

RIP I sure liked watching his shows.

13. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

From Facebook

Statement from R. Lee Ermey's long time manager, Bill Rogin:

It is with deep sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey ("The Gunny") passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia. He will be greatly missed by all of us. It is a terrible loss that nobody was prepared for. He has meant so much to so many people. And, it is extremely difficult to truly quantify all of the great things this man has selflessly done for, and on behalf of, our many men and women in uniform. He has also contributed many iconic and indelible characters on film that will live on forever. Gunnery Sergeant Hartman of Full Metal Jacket fame was a hard and principled man. The real R. Lee Ermey was a family man, and a kind and gentle soul. He was generous to everyone around him. And, he especially cared deeply for others in need.

There is a quote made famous in Full Metal Jacket. It's actually the Riflemen's Creed. "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

There are many Gunny's, but this one was OURS. And, we will honor his memory with hope and kindness. Please support your men and women in uniform. That's what he wanted most of all.

Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed.

14. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Damn, I'll miss the guy!

15. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

The flags at all USMC bases should be flying at half-mast. Gunny taught us all so much, in a fashion we enjoyed and revered.

God rest your soul, Gunny. You will never be forgotten.

Hoooah! And Semper Fi!

16. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

His TV shows were always enjoyable. I know someone who met him at a Glock function in if I remember correctly Arizona. He said the Gunny was very pleasant, friendly and outgoing.

17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

RIP GUNNY!
    He will be missed. I really enjoyed his movies. Including my favorite Full Metal Jacket!
    Of recent, the Glock advertisement where the Robber walks into the Bar and pulls his gun to rob the customers. With about 30 customers in the Bar the Robber then sees 30 Glock Pistols pointing at him! :p Cracked me up every time I saw it!
    "My thought was Some can Pick EM and Some Can't!";)
    I had met and spoken with him on several occasions at events like the Shot Show in Las Vegas and others. He seemed like a very nice person and always took some time with everyone who spoke with him. Great American and Great person in my book!
    *And also "Thanks to Gunny" for his Real Service to our Country while in the Marine Corps.
    He was for real not just an actor! Here is an article I found about him!

United States Marines

Ermey spent eleven years in the Marine Corps, Two of which were spent as being a Drill Instructor at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, India Company 3rd Recruit Training Battalion 1965-67, Arrived in Vietnam in 1968 spending 14 months attached to Marine Wing Support Group #17 and 2 tours in Okinawa. He rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant and was medically retired for injuries received.
    On May 17, 2002 he received an honorary promotion to Gunnery Sergeant (E-7) by Commandant James L. Jones, becoming the first retiree in the history of the Marines to be promoted.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    sheriffjohn and Billy9mm like this.
  18. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Kick *** and take names gunney!! We will miss you.

19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

A sad day indeed.

I had the honor of meeting him back in 2001, at Rolling Thunder in DC, and dad, me, and the rest of our party would run into him at that event, on and off, over the next 15 years. he was a good man, who always made time to visit with his fans, and a strong supporter of the 2A. Dad and I got to ride into R.O.T. with him back in 2005, and he was a regular attendee of Erie Bike Week\Roar on the Shore as well.

He truly was a kind and gentle soul, a giving person, who never asked anything in return, and was always thankful of the blessings he had, and the fans that enjoyed his work. he proved that, while you can take the marine out of the Corps, you can never take the Corps out of the marine.

I have one anecdote from last years Roar on the Shore, which I almost didn't go to, until a friend who has a Ural, and a wheelchair (I was still healing up from laying my wife's bike down, and no, not from her kicking my a**, and breaking my right kneecap.), who offered to come by and get me, and lend me the chair to get around, which I took him up on. Asmy wife and I were checking out the vendor displays, and the bikes, which covered several blocks of State Street, and the number streets in that area, we ran into him. We got to talking, and he offered to push me around for a bit to give my arms a break, which I turned down.

that;s when my wife vetoed my decision.

I'll have to go through the bike run SD card, and find that picture, so i can post it, either in this thread or the post a photo thread. I don't think he would mind, and it shows the type of person he was.

gonna miss ya Gunny, and this year's fallen rider memorial run, you will be added to the list of those I am riding to honor.

Semper Fi, Thank You for your service, and for being the man you were, who would help a stranger out, when they needed it, and would ask nothing in return. Rest in peace Gunny Ermey.

RJF22553 and Dallas53 like this.
  20. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing that about the the Gunny, Mr. Kfox.

RJF22553 likes this.