Gunfight rules

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dearhunter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Gunfight Rules
    In a gunfight, the most important rule is .....
    HAVE A GUN!

Here is some shooting advice from various Concealed Carry Instructors. If you own a gun, you will appreciate these rules. If not, get one and learn how to use it.....then learn the rules:

RULES: (Take special note of M.)
    A -- Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians.

B -- Its always better to be judged by 12 than
    carried by 6.

C -- Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not you.

D -- Never let someone or something that threatens you get within 20 feet.

E -- Never say "I've got a gun". If you need to use deadly force, the first sound they hear should be the safety clicking off.

F -- The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 magnum is 1400 feet per second.

G -- The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win. A gunfight is a deadly struggle. There is no such thing as a fair fight, so cheat if necessary.

H -- Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it, cause it will be empty.

I -- If you're in a gun fight: If you're not shooting, you should be loading. If you're not loading, you should be moving. If you're not moving, you're dead.

J -- In a life and death situation, do something. It may be wrong, but do something!

K -- If you carry a gun, people may call you paranoid. Bull****! If you have a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

L -- You can say 'stop' or any other word, but a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much a universal language.

M -- Never leave an enemy behind. If you have to shoot, shoot to kill. If you end up in court, yours will be the only testimony. ALWAYS state you shot to stop the threat because you feared for your life.

N -- You cannot save the planet, but you may be able to save yourself and your family.

And always remember this quote from America 's premier Founding Father:
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading".
    - Thomas Jefferson

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

G is 1000% correct.:D
    C, E, H, and I are pure BS!!!:(
    F, the average response time is about 1/2 of that stated, however the point is the same as it is usually over in less than a minute!!;)
    The most important rule in a gun fight is to be 'FIRST WITH THE MOST', in other words hit probability is the most important factor followed by having 'enough gun'!!!:) ( the right bullet/caliber combination):shooting:

3. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Fights don't have any rules. If you're on the losing end of a gunfight because you were more concerned about following rules than surviving the fight you found yourself in after being attacked, then rest easy because your troubles are over. Rules only apply to the living.

4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

No Second Place Winner
    Bill Jordon

5. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Just like a fist fight. Hit first, hit hard. And I agree there are no rules in survival. Last man standing writes the history.

6. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes shoot to kill but that doesn't necessarily mean killing the persion. So i would forget the never leave an enemy behind bit. Sounds like make sure they are dead threat or not bad advice.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Rule F is especially correct. It nullifies OC.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_q-aL4xQDI[/ame]

9. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

10. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Your purpose is to stop the threat. The most effective way to do that is to shoot high center chest, that is, shoot to kill.

As far as never leave an enemy behind, I agree with this one. If there's only one threat and he's down, don't turn your back on him. But if there's more than one threat and he's down, if you have the chance, finish the "stopping" process.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Know your weakness, know your firearm's weakness.

A gun is a mechanical thing that can break (or be empty) when needed most.

Ask LE if they carry more than one. Most here do as well as the normal sidearm (and Tazers).

Why should the law abiding individual carry less?

12. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

first of all i don't believe in rules when it comes to survival or defending my loved ones. i will do whatever i feel is necessary to survive the encounter and to protect those i care about.

i don't feel obligated in any way of giving an attacker, or intruder an even playing field or feel the need to inform them of anything. are they going to send me prior notice or give me a call that they plan on breaking in my home or attacking me?

criminals know the difference between wrong and right. that should be all the warning they need.

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

You do not shoot to kill. You shoot to stop the threat. If the aggressor dies, so be it. But if the attacker is shot and drops to the ground you stop shooting when the threat is over. If he survives let him try to explain why he was breaking into your house or robbing you in the alley. We are not murders. There is a line which we must not cross. Anyone that does not understand that should not be carrying a gun.

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Warrior Mind Set!
    & WIN!

15. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

But that 'mind set' can't be 'taught', it must be 'learned'!!!;)

16. Balota

Rick, I agree that when a single attacker hits the ground AND is no longer a threat, you should stop shooting. You should also keep a close eye on him. If he tries to become a threat again, resume the process of stopping him.

In the multiple attacker situation, the downed threat can get back in the fight. Before you turn your back on the downed threat, make sure he's really stopped.

17. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I agree with your last post Bolata. But when people start saying not to leave anyone alive to testify against you that is crossing the line. If we are ok shooting someone to death after they are no longer a threat we become no better than the people we are trying to defend against.

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jim,
    You are right! I agree! But by human nature we have two natural reactions generally. The position of fight or flight. So those who carry should make a constant effort to develop the fight if it is needed without hesitation and the mind set and skill to perform. Goes back to one must train , practice and go over in their mind scenarios whether at home, shopping or driving down the road. As you and I know, you will do as you train or in this case as you practice. On many occasions one does not have time to rationally think things out before taking action. It must be somewhat of a mind set should they encounter a terrible situation. For me my mind set and practice is to shoot three good rounds and asses the evaluate the threat. If good hits he is going to probably stop the active threat, be down for the count and in a world of hurt if not worse. I they should re-engage in the action again as Balota mentioned. Nothing wrong with another three. I think a lot of people do get personal protection weapons, shoot them a couple of times if at all? Then put them in a drawer and expect to be effective with them should the need arise. We unfortunately know the truth! They will not due to adrenalin, frustration and the fact fine motor skills dissipate and sometimes totally.!Practice, Practice, Practice! Plus mental scenarios is of great benefit.

19. Balota

Agreed. Once they stop, you must stop.

20. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I thought I saw him twitch and reach in his pocket!