Gunbelt! Which one?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by mudpupp, Aug 28, 2012.

1. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

I Have successfully used the 5.11 Tactical casual leather belt with permastiff insert in both tan and black for a few years now.

But growth and change can be good things!

What gun belt do you use for your EDC IWB Holster, and how long have you worn that brand?

Time to look at some different possibilities.

Thanks

2. mdauben

mdauben New Member

3. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

I applaud you for paying attention to the details. I see many complaints from folks who carry that their holsters don't fit or a certain gun isn't concealable, and they finally admit that they're carrying with a $10 belt from WalMart made in China.

Here is a source I recommend:

http://thebeltman.net/

I have used The Beltman's gunbelts for about five years, and the quality is top-drawer. I particularly like the fact that he offers some widths others don't (I prefer the 1 1/4" bullhide) and closer hole spacing if you desire, which really comes in handy for IWB carry. There are other buckle options as well.

After several years of usage, I decided to order a spare belt from him. I had some wear on the stitching from my IWB clips, and he graciously refurbished my old belt for only the shipping charge.

I understand that CrossBreed makes a good belt, although I have no direct experience with them, although I carry their SuperTuck Deluxe holster. It's a good company, too.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

4. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I actually use a belt from Walmart and it works great. :D

5. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

6. clay40cal

clay40cal New Member

I use an Ares Gear Ranger belt. I've got a few pounds to loose and it's adjustability works great for me.

7. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

If it works for you, then you're good to go.

I'm not saying any old belt won't work, just that a belt designed and manufactured from the ground up for use as a gun belt can solve many of the problems encountered by those who carry, particularly carrying concealed.

Usually those who have tried a dedicated gun belt are very appreciative of the difference.

8. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Been using a BladeTec belt. Looking at a Galco one.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I got one of these about two years ago, maybe longer. :confused:

Milt Sparks Belts

And this thing is still as tall and straight on the side I carry as the other side is without the added weight. It's specifically designed for carrying a holster and it comes with a bit of that curved action that every good belt develops around the back of the body.

The leather, the hardware and the stitching are all top notch and it still look good enough to wear with slacks.

JD

10. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Why are all the gun belts so expensive? That's why I bought a Walmart belt. Would love to buy a real gun belt, but I'm not spending $40 and up for a belt. Also, what makes a gun belt different from a Walmart belt?

11. gr8wapiti

gr8wapiti New Member

I'm kinda picky when it comes to my belt. I've always had them custom made by leather makers that way they fit right cause you get measured for the belt. Also for CCW they'll customize the belt to take the holster of your choice. Now custom belts aren't cheap, usually $200 each, but you choose the hide and the design for your belt and i've got a couple of them that are over 20 years old. You get what you pay for in leather craft.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I don't know about a Wal*mart belt. But I had a Levi's belt that was about 1 1/4" wide and made of leather. Cost about $30 or so.

After a few months of carrying (1911, full sized) the belt began to show serious sag right at the point of the right hip where the holster would ride. It never felt like there was anything wrong, but it just seemed like there was extra weight on my hip.

When I got my Milt Sparks belt there was a significant difference in how the pistol rode on the belt and how the belt rode on my hips.

It's like the difference between using a couple of flimsy jack stands or using a hydraulic floor jack. One will get the job done, the other one was designed for the work you are doing. ;)

JD

13. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Which Milt Sparks belt did you get and how much if you don't mind me asking?

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I didn't get anything fancy, no sharkskin or elaborate stitching or anything. I got a double thick (which I believe is his standard) black belt with silver buckle and it was like $90 when I placed my order.

The backlog was about 6-7 months. When it was at the head of the cue, they called to confirm I hadn't gained any weight and if the measurements were still accurate (I thought that was cool). Then called again and said it's on it's way and we are charging your card.

Showed up a couple of days later and it was just as good, or better, than I had expected.

It's been over 2 years, going on 3, and I don't wear anything else, so I am working on $30 a year for a belt.

The math works for me. YMMV.

JD

15. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I bought a galco carry belt and ive had it about six months and no complaints. Sturdy and hopfully will last forever. Cost me $100 but there products should last a lifetime...... I hope.

16. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

17. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Generally they are thicker & stiffer than what you'll find at Walmart. Usually double layered & some have stiffeners between the layers. Really depends on size & weight of the pistol. If a belt twists easily, the pistol's grip will try to cant outwards away from you body. It may not actually do it because the muzzle is up tight against you, but that pressure from the muzzle can become uncomfortable over time.

I have an old western style belt from many years ago & another belt which is double layered, bought from a 'Farm & Ranch' store several years ago. Both were under $15 & they do a decent job of holding my lightest pistols okay, but still not good enough for the larger ones, so I don't use either very much.

Don Hume makes some decent double layered gun belts that won't break the bank, but I don't know if they offer them with stiffeners. I think I paid $40 each for mine from Midway USA. You may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere, but I already had an account there & had other stuff I was ordering.

18. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Thanks for all the info. That's really what stopping me on some of these belt prices. I look at it as why would I pay over $100 for a belt. I'll have to start looking around for a gun belt.

19. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Optics planet and eBay both sell the 5.11 Tactical Casual Leather Belts in Brown and Black for under $40