Gun you've been disappointed with

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by IowaShooter, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Kobs

Kobs Member

Mine was a Ruger 10/22 nothing wrong with it, it just wasn't my thing. It felt like my pellet gun so bought it shot about 200 rounds and sold it. Fortunately I didn't lose much.

[​IMG]

2. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

A mossburg 715. It would not run a full mag without stove piping. Took 2 trips back to mossburg to get it right.

3. silverbullet6oh

silverbullet6oh Member

The guns that I have been disappointed with......................... ALL THE ONES I CANT AFFORD, DAMMIT!!!!!!:(

kfox75 and AZdave like this.
  4. oldfoneguy

oldfoneguy Member

Mine is a Jennings J22. I never wanted it but had to take it as part of an estate deal. So I figured what the hey it looks cool lets try it out. What a piece of crap! Can barely hit paper at 7yds and no matter how clean it is the 3rd and 4th round won't feed. This gun definitely falls into the "Saturday Night Special" category. It's worst feature is an external trigger bar held in place by the grip which will fire it if pushed in hard. I think the safest place to be around this thing when fired is in front of it! - Bill

Trez and headspace like this.
  5. headspace

headspace Active Member

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!:D

6. jackrich3

jackrich3 Well-Known Member Supporter

S&W mod. 442. I couldn’t hit the side of a large barn if I was standing inside. Sold it, bought an SP-101 and never looked back.

kfox75 likes this.
  7. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

How many rounds did it have through it, and were you using HP ammo? Was it bulk ammo as well?

Most issues with them were caused by someone failing to break them in, on the old model, poor magazine design, and the fact that they seem to despise HP, but tend to run well with round nosed ammo.

Accuracy, short sight length, and a short barrel, with what's usually a cr@p trigger, make them difficult to shoot well, but, barring something wrong with the crown, it can, and has been done.

On the trigger bar moving when you squeezed the grip, Holy $#!+! Definitely unsafe, and that's putting it mildly. I have 8 of them myself, one of which was my mother's (And it always seemed to shoot low for her, as she had a tendency to give targets a "Prince Albert." :eek::eek::eek:) In each case, once the new was worn off, and using CCI Stingers or Velocitors, they run fine.

And yes, with the safety issue yours had, It would have been a case of destroy it, or turn it into a parts gun on my end. Chances are I would have stripped it for what I could use on my other ones, and taken the frame to the local PD for disposal. I did just that with 2 that i bought over the years, one with a cracked frame, the other with a barrel bulged in 2 places.

8. tazzman55

tazzman55 Active Member

Interesting. I have two, plus many components. They posses a very good double action pull. I favor them because I know I’m less likely to have an accidental discharge in a stressful situation.

9. tazzman55

tazzman55 Active Member

Calico, by far my biggest disappointment.
    Had a tough time getting rid of it too.

10. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Glock 36. Jamomatic.

11. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

I'm going to preface this by saying I have about a half dozen other Rugers
    I wouldn't trade for love or money.
    But the 582 series Mini-14 has been an aggravating pit, into which money,
    time and effort have been dumped, with very little improvement in
    accuracy.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  12. Ross82

Ross82 Well-Known Member Supporter

13. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

Sharp loading gate? Gritty lever action? Cheap plastic followers?

Reasons?

(I had a .45colt in a 92 I disliked)

14. Ross82

Ross82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Doesn't feed worth a crap. Took all the measurements and shimmed the right cartridge guide like the internet told me to, still no go.... There's a guy in Texas that's an expert on fixing them but there's a year waiting list

15. Minorcan

Minorcan Active Member

Mine was a Remington R1 Enhanced in 9 mm. Had a jam/FTF rate of 25% out of the box with different mags and ammo. Ejector fell out the first mag. I found it had a 45 extractor from the factory,told Remington and sent it back five times they never did fix it. Sorry for the rant.

jackrich3 and Dallas53 like this.
  16. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

I have a Remington .45 threaded bbl and, while it is not as bad as yours, it does not cycle well either. Its been better lately, having shot it a few hundred times now, but the main issue has been a ftf or shell not going into battery. My opinion of Remington is at a low point unfortunately...30 years ago, they were my main brand for everything hunting related.

Minorcan and Dallas53 like this.
  17. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i use to be a huge Remington fan, own quite a few now, (including the R1 Enhanced bought in 2011 IIRC.) and have owned many of their products over the years, but i'm seeing a huge pattern with with their QC and the products they are letting out the door, and it saddens me very much.

so i will probably refrain from buying any new Remington firearms until they decide to make quality job #1 again. nice thing is, there are still many, many used ones that are older and of still high quality that i can not buy new, but still add some nice remingtons to my collection as needed.

Minorcan likes this.
  18. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Ruger SR22 I am not fond of. I think the trigger is poor, a long take up and sloppy break. It is not the most accurate, though it has fired everything I put through it. It is too cheap a gun to put a better trigger in. I should just trade it on a Mark IV.

19. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

Another curiosity is the reverse nature of the safety...like a Beretta...flip up to shoot. That combined with the inability to carry the pistol cocked and locked are my main beefs...other than that, I'm kinda fond of the pistol but you are right about the trigger with a bunch of take up...BTW, I think the Ruger SR22 has as good as, if not better, trigger than the MkIV. I dont know if all the MkIV variants have the same trigger, but I have a Mk II tgt probably 1991 vintage...and that trigger is the best of all my hand guns bar none!

20. Minorcan

Minorcan Active Member

I should clarify, I was a once a huge Remington fan. It’s unfortunate that they were acquired by the Freedom Group. The Freedom Group ruined many once great firearm companies including Remington, Marlin and Para. I hope Remington finds an investor group that can help them regain their glory days again.