Gun you've been disappointed with

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by IowaShooter, Nov 15, 2017.

1. glockman55

glockman55 Member

I had one, could not hit anything with it..I have the P238, in ,380 same size gun, and I shoot that real good,, maybe the 9mm in that small gun is too much..

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

It was years ago! And I was totally surprised!
    It was a Remington 700 BDL in 25-06 Caliber. Bought it New and never could get the accuracy out of it that I expected. So it found a new home as I traded it in at a local gun store. I can't remember what I traded for, as stated it was many years ago.

Dallas53 likes this.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

it can happen, even with a very popular brand and model that usually are for the most part accurate and trouble free.

i had a friend that had a Savage Model 10 IIRC in 25-06, that couldn't shoot a group, it shot patterns! he did have it sent back to Savage and they ended up putting a new barrel on it. he bought the rifle new best i remember. it shot damn near like a tack driver with factory ammo after he got it back. it happens.

what thing i have come to learn over the years, is that anything that is mass produced, is there is always the off chance that some will end up being defective or have some sort of problem. it's just a fact of life. and it doesn't matter if it's guns, cars or toasters. now most companies accept this fact of life, and most try and eliminate the problem with having a QC department that tries to keep as many as possible from ever reaching the consumer. the other method is good warranty policy to deal with the ones that do end up in the consumer's hands.

kfox75 and Sniper03 like this.
  4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Dallas,

Spot on! My main Texas hunting rifle is also a Remington 700 CDL in 7mm Remington Magnum. Shooting 150 gr. Remington AccuTip Ammunition. And it, when I am having a good day will group a 3 shot group of the bags and bench at 1/2 MOA. .470. And has done it often when I verify the zero before heading for the hunt for opening season. I realize it is an exception for a hunting rifle. And as I stated, it is just a plain 700 CDL Rifle contoured barrel and hasn't been touched as far as bedding accurizing or the like. I did set the trigger down to 3 1/2 lbs. but other than that it is straight factory. So you are correct, any company can have a new gun with an issues. But being an accuracy freak if a gun won't shoot it is a problem for me. I know most are happy with a hunting rifle at 2 or 3 MOA group at 100.

kfox75 and Dallas53 like this.
  5. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

ruger mk2 22's. sold them the same day I shot them for the first time.

6. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

sold off my browning hi-powers. I don't care if they are classics, I couldn't stand them.

7. youngridge

youngridge Active Member Supporter

I would have to agree, it was tough to like, for no reason really for me. Accuracy was also tough for me with mine. I have got rid of it since and added to my 9mm Glocks with a G26, like that one way better(have to of them now), if I need a pocket carry I use my BG 380 or 638. Also have a LCP.

8. joed49

joed49 New Member

Mine was a CharCo Bulldog. I was warned by the owner of the LGS not to buy it. He told me he'd order it but would not stand behind it. Like a dummy I bought it.

The cylinder would bind, it shaved jackets and at 10' shot about 2' to the left. Next day I took it back and put it up for sale on consignment.

The owner of the shop found me a used Taurus 445 to replace it. I had never liked Taurus but that gun shot like a dream.

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Not always! :p

My most beloved gun was bought knowing nothing about it.. Other than it was a strange ugly revolver that I had to have and it turned out to be a Medusa that only 500 were made..

Then theres the Mateba I missed out on.. Seen it in a LGS, cost 1K and I had no job at the time so I passed on it. Got home, looked it up, found out it was worth 3K. I posed that I seen the Mateba on I think the random thoughts thread and had people messaging me wanting to know where I had seen it.
    So, now I want this thing, scrape up the $1,000 and go back the next day and its gone... :(

10. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Kimber Solo---a three shot jam-0-matic I brought used.

11. Dallas53

i'm not saying that i haven't missed out on few deals because i, pardon the pun, didn't pull the trigger when i saw the gun. but i will say, that doing my research before buying a gun i was unfamiliar with has so far proven to be right.

but i will also say, that hanging around gun guys, and on gun forums and blogs and soaking up as much knowledge as you can will gain you a better source of information when those rare occurrences do happen and you have to make a snap judgement on buying or passing on it.

i wish i had the same resources thirty years ago like gun forums and the internet, as i would have bought every Savage Model 99 i had seen back then and hung onto them! i can remember when they were selling back then used for usually under $250.

but hindsight is 20/20!

Viking, kfox75 and Chainfire like this.
  12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

That is interesting. I recently got an FM Hi-Power and I think it is outstanding. I actually like it better than my Beretta 92, and I like the Beretta. Some guns work for some folks and just don't fit others. That is why there are so many gun makers.

13. Chainfire

My biggest gun regrets also revolve around the one I left in the store, or guns I sold and want back. The one that I still whine over, after ten years, I left, in a pawn shop, out of ignorance, when I should have known better. I have balanced that out with some really slick buys, but that one hangs in the memory.

Back on subject, another disappointment has been trying to find a 7MM surplus Mauser that is a shooter. I have bought several on-line and one in person and I have yet to get one that isn't shot-out. I was really disappointed about a Spanish M-1916 with the roller coaster sites, it is a great looking rifle, but it will shoot around corners.

Collecting military surplus rifles is good for keeping a man humble. I am a casual collector who is generally not satisfied with a gun that I can not shoot. Sometimes you have to take risks and with risks, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. I accept that, and I will not pass off a stinker to an individual without full disclosure of known problems. Dealing with gun professionals is a different story, unless the gun flaw would be dangerous; with these guys it is "may the buyer beware."

kfox75, jigs-n-fixture and Dallas53 like this.
  14. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Before buying any hand gun, you need to be sure it points for you.

Hold it in one hand, at your hip, bring it up, and sight something that is fixed, about ten feet away. Repeat this as many times as it takes to do it consistently. But, at least three times.

Now do it with your eyes closed, and see where the sights are. If they aren’t on target, the gun doesn’t point for you.

15. Chainfire

Now, what was the point? ;)

kfox75, headspace and Dallas53 like this.
  16. headspace

headspace Active Member

Not "any" handgun. I've had/have at least a dozen different handguns, from silhouette (IHMSA) handguns, to hunting handguns, to general bum around in the hills handguns that I didn't/don't give a crap about how they point for me at 10 feet.
    There are a heck of a lot more handguns out there than just those intended for self/home defense - which is the only reason (other than maybe for cowboy action shooting) I can think of why it would be important that a handgun points naturally at 10 feet.

17. Dallas53

some of the ones i wished i had bought also were the Marlin Camp Carbines when they were making them years ago. missed that boat! now they are getting pretty expensive for decent ones. also wished i had bought an old M1 Carbine years ago when they were more plentiful and cheaper. i have thought about buying a newer reproduction one, but i really want an older original one from the WWII or Korean War era, or even a Vietnam War era one too would suffice.

if i buy a used gun, i tend to approach it with a bit of skepticism. and if the price is too cheap, it usually raises my suspicions a bit as well. i look for the very best deal i can get, with the idea that it's possible i may have to put time and money into it toamke it a safely functioning firearm.

kfox75 and Chainfire like this.
  18. Chainfire

I have long wanted an original M1 carbine, but it seems that I have the money and can't find the right rifle or I find the rifle and don't have the right money. I am getting the age now where I am going to be getting out of the gun buying and into the gun selling business. I haven't bought a firearm in many months and don't have any plans for the next one. I will admit though that I have been buying up some nice military knives and some pretty slick military binoculars lately. :)

I am retiring in late January and I plan to start thinning my herd. I don't want my wife to have the burden of having to dispose of my modest collection if I catch the bus to the cemetery suddenly. I have shooters that I know that I will never shoot again. It is going to be hard to let go of them, but it needs doing. Maybe I can learn to have as much selling as I did buying, but I doubt it.

kfox75, headspace and Dallas53 like this.
  19. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

For a gun to be comfortable to shoot it needs to fit your body. If it points well, it fits you, and will be easier for you to shoot in all instances. Yes, you can over come the ergonomics of a gun that doesn’t fit your body. But accuracy will be easier if the gun fits you. I can shoot a Ruger revolver accurately, but it is easier for me to shoot a S&W accurately, and probably less stressful on my forearms and wrists.

headspace, alsaqr and Dallas53 like this.
  20. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I've been thinking that for the last year or so......haven't bought anything since then. But I slipped and fell off that wagon last week and bought me a Beretta 92. I haven't been sorry yet. :D

headspace likes this.