Gun you've been disappointed with

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by IowaShooter, Nov 15, 2017.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The P3AT and its clone the Ruger LCP were both miserable to shoot which is why I have a Sig P238. I had an original P11 that I bought from a dealer that was a gunsmith. He modified the P11's he sold. It had a decent trigger and functioned flawlessly. 1 failure to fire due to a bad primer in over 6K rounds. I currently have 2 Sub2K's that run very well. Neither have had a malfunction since the 1st couple of magazines.
    Taurus supposedly has upped their game. It could not have gotten much worse. I had a PT92 that was a disaster and their customer service was just as bad. On the other hand I had a PT22 that I put over 15K rounds through over 19 years when the frame broke. Taurus replaced it without question. No way it could be repaired.

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Can always make up to her ....... buying gold & diamonds never hurt !
    :)

3. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Just an update giving Diamondback their due.

They replaced the db9 I posted about long time ago with a new db9 3rd gen.

I've got about 1000 rds thru it with absolutely no hiccups at all with either fmj or critical defense jhp.

So I guess my disappointment was cured lol.

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Well-Known Member

Taurus .357 mag revolver (I think it's a model 66). It developed a nasty timing issue and Taurus had yet to fix it right. The finish is a satin nickel that's not perfect, but not horrible either. If I ever get the thing working, I'll sell it and buy a Ruger to replace it.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  5. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Years ago I had an H&R Handi-rifle in 45/70. It was my first 45/70 and I loved the way it shot. Then I made the mistake of thinking I was going to "upgrade" to an Encore. What a mistake that was. To compound the mistake I went on a mission of buying barrels for it in various calibers. That Encore nearly beat me to death. I was GLAD to see it go. Didn't lose anything on it but wasted time and effort. Now I have a Hi-Wall (in 45/70) that I LOVE to shoot.

The other was a early Desert Eagle. Bought it in the early 90's (first gen). I was much younger and got caught up in the hype / cool factor. Learned my lesson with that nonsense. No more cool guns for me. Wasn't that it was a completely bad gun just that it was about useless. These days I just laugh whenever I see them up for sale; those and the S&W 500's. I guess they have a purpose if you're in a **** measuring contest but otherwise useless.

EDIT: Okay another useless gun I DO still own is a Mac-10. I bring it up because it was on Bobski's list (the only gun on his list I don't completely agree with BTW). Yes it is about useless but sooooooooo much fun at the range that I just can't feel bad about it. I picked mine up in '82 and it's been with me ever since. These day it probably only comes out once a year or so but it still generates smiles every time it does.

alsaqr, towboater and Ghost1958 like this.
  6. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Well-Known Member

Might want to try something loaded a bit hotter. Don't shoot a lot of .380 so not sure what ball/bulk ammo to reccomend. I bought my mom he same pistol and it has been flawless with Underwood---not fun to shoot but works, same thing I use in my LCP (least shot pistol I own)

PeeJay1313 likes this.
  7. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

Taurus PT1911 had the safety lever fall out. Taurus Judge had to be sent back to the factory because the cylinder was not bored properly, it would work with shot shells, but not with 45LC. Kel-Tec P3AT was a POS gun IMO. KAR CW9 the mag would fall out, and it would jam on a regular basis. Bryco Jennings, was the biggest POS that I ever owned though, with out a doubt.

towboater likes this.
  8. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Are you saying the S&W EZ380 is not fun to shoot?
    I haven't bought one but I can imagine it's more "fun" than the LCP.

9. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

In Chronological or alphabetical order ?

There's the distressed P38 which I got for @55% of value, pumped 50% of value back into it. First shoot, the top of the slide blew off. Never was able to trust it, again.

towboater likes this.
  10. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Well-Known Member

Both are way to small for my hands and Underwood is rather snappy out of the S&W. That said it is much more pleasant to shoot than the LCP.

11. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

I just watched this video and thought it belongs here, I agree with his list for the most part.

Top Five turd guns

12. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

I bought a Ruger SR40 from Gander Mtn. when they were still open. When I shot it & the slide locked back, after removing the old mag putting in a loaded mag it would not thumb down. All the pressure I could use on the thumb down lever & it would not release.
    I sent it back to Ruger through Gander to get fixed. It came back a couple weeks later but still had the same problem, it wouldn't thumb down. I took it to another local gun shop & the guy told me yes it has a problem, but he would have to charge me to send it back because it wasn't bought there. So I took it back to Gander to send it back to Ruger.
    A month later I had to call Gander to see if it was done, They couldn't find my gun. I went into Gander to talk to the manger(about an 18 yr old kid) about it he went into the back with the sales BOY to find the gun. After about an hour the manager came out with the gun. It had a note with it listing what was done to it but it said that the slide lock was a safety feature & could not be removed. It said that all Rugers had it & the proper way to let the slide go forward after putting in a new mag is to pull back on the slide & let it go, not to thumb down. I have never had a pistol you couldn't thumb down. That why I sold that gun as fast as I could. I took about a $100 loss but I won't have a gun that doesn't operate like my other guns do.
    Why would they have a thumb down lever if you were not supposed to use it?

13. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

I was taught to pull the slide back to cycle a round, and if you want to release the slide, pull back on the slide while pressing down in the slide release, then let go of the slide. There are some who believe that by pressing down on the slide release to release the slide, you are causing wear to the slide and release mechanism.

CMAB2SA likes this.
  14. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

All my other pistols function fine by thumbing down the slide lever & for safety sake I won't own a gun that functions a different way. I guess I won't ever buy a Ruger pistol again.

15. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

I know what you mean, you should be able to thumb down and release the slide. I had the SR9, and although I do not recall that being an issue, I had other troubles with it.

7.62 Man likes this.
  16. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The thumb release is just that, a thumbs release intended to allow one hands use of the weapon by an injured combatant. Until Browning figured that out, we were not going to transition from revolvers.

About six years ago, I spent most of a Saturday at the three local gun stores when I bought my first center fire, semiauto handgun. I’d shot them before, but always bought and carried revolvers. And, an N-frame is a bit much to conceal.

I held and cycled about sixty guns. I went home with a Beretta PX4. Because it was the only one that, out of the box, could be cycled with the thumb release. Neither I, nor the guys behind the counter could cycle any of the others one handed. Interesting to me, was that the only one oof them who understood why it mattered to me was an old Marine vet, who from the shiny stuff he wears on his uniform at the Veterans Day parade, has seen more than his share of combat.

7.62 Man and primer1 like this.
  17. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i'll tell my Encore story after checking the hog traps today. That Encore and three of the five centerfire balls were junk.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

When trying to drop the slide with the slide release on the pistols in the shop, was it with an empty mag in place?

Reason I ask, is that many pistols are difficult to execute slide release by thumb lever, when you are fightIng both the slide release and magazine follower spring, but will be easy to use when the follower is heard down by the rounds in the mag. So it may not be the best test.

I tend to practice cycling the slide by pulling on the slide, because I do own several pistols and release lever placement is not consistent between manufacturers. Also a few older designs don’t have release levers (like the Walther PPK). But every design should operate if the slide is pulled to the rear after a mag change is executed.

Funny thing too. It was a Marine Staff Sargent who got me to break the habit of using the slide release lever. He said “Dammit, Doc, you never know what piece o’ crap pistol you may have to pick up and use out there. This will work with em all.”

It stuck.

19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Or just stick to older ones. The slide release on the P89, and P94 my daughter owns works fine, as does the one on my P95DC. Same with the P85 and P365 dad has.

The LC9 OTOH, it's hit or miss, as is also the case with the PF9. granted, both are stubby blocks compared to full size pistols, but it also may have to do with mainspring stiffness. more force to counter, to release the lock.

Rifling82 likes this.