Gun transportation in a PU truck or SUV

Discussion in 'Virginia Gun Forum' started by wittmeba, Jan 19, 2014.

1. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I need help interpreting the Va laws of transporting guns in a vehicle.

This might be a question related to many others but I'm in Va so that's where I'm posting the question.

What do you do to lock up your guns while transporting in a PU or SUV? The law states the guns must be locked in a separate compartment and ammo elsewhere. I want these replies to be crystal clear for everyone's benefit as it will likely apply to many others with similar laws.

Pistols/handguns: Unloaded of course - if you have a lockable glove box use it

Ammo/magazines (assume loaded): Are they safe within the cab of the vehicle if the weapon is locked up?

Long rifle: Unloaded of course - can it just lay on the floor?

Where would you have to carry the ammo for the rifle?

The law uses the phrase "securely wrapped" - what does that mean?
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#Permit_Not_Necessary

I don't have a cover on my truck so putting anything outside is subject to the weather conditions.

Similar issues will exist with a SUV where the may not be a compartment outside the vehicle other than under a floor/hatch either at the rear or possibly under the rear seat foot area.

I know I can ask some local LEO but I would like to know in advance to be prepared and I don't want to be in violation.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014

2. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I did find this too:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

MisterMcCool - thank you.

...and it's no wonder we are all confused. I will have to re-read that several times to fully understand what KC has provided.

What strikes me funny is he speaks of it as "his opinion" not necessarily the law subject to interpretation.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

That stood out to me also.