Gun swaps

Discussion in 'Gun Shows' started by potmetal, Sep 17, 2017.

1. potmetal

potmetal Member

A local FFL here in Missouri has started a monthly gun swap. They have a conference room where they teach CCW classes that they set up with tables and allow private individuals to sit at the tables and swap, trade, sell guns and gun related items.
    Rules are, no FFLs, just private citizens, guns must be unloaded and zip tied. It is scheduled for 6pm-8pm, technically after the store is closed. At first, they charged $3 admission, but lately they dropped that and it's free. I'm sure this only works because Mo. has no registration or FOID card laws, and private sales are not regulated.
    I was wondering if any other places do this. I'm sure this shop got the idea from someone else. It's an interesting place to visit, the only drawback being the same as you see at most gun shows, greedy sellers asking prices for used guns that are higher then new ones. I didn't see many guns trade hands at the swap this month. A couple black powder pistols. Everything else was holsters and scopes.
    I love living in a free state.

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

That is an interesting idea. Never heard of anything like that around my area.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have not seen anything like it either but it sounds like a great idea.

4. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

personally, in states that don't require an FFL for a private sale or transfer, not a bad idea at all. pretty novel and interesting.

5. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Member Supporter

Sounds like Armslist... But without the online portion. No FFL... Just buying, selling and trading (we use armslist to look and then, if interested, contact one another then meet face to face to look over the gun and decide if we want it)

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I like the idea, but....

It might be a great idea at a gun club, or range that already had the production/insurance and various other cost in already covered. I sure would anger the local mom and pop gun shops who would lobby to have the BATFE shut it down.

7. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I wonder how the insurance company looks at this? A good idea but I cannot see the lawyers and insurance company liking it.