Gun storage...

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by Jon12312, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

I keep my firearms in 2 gun lockers not safes and my gun room has a draft from an unexpected "door falling off" incident.. Every so often I will open my locker and some of my guns will have a brown/orangeish rusty look to them. I will take a cloth with rem oil to it and it comes right off.

I have an idea of takeing an old fridge/freezer and gutting it and building racks and barrel rests in it. I would use the freezer part for some ammo storage.. What do you think about the idea? Any suggestions on how to improve the idea?

-Jon

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think that what might work better and cheaper would be to get some of those moisture absorbers (dessicant i think they are called) from Midway and put them in your gun lockers.

3. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

If you're going to build racks and barrel rests, then you're probably competent with tools. You might consider adding a locking mechanism to the refrigerator door. The refrigerator would weigh enough to keep it from walking out the door! Also, the dessicants that Axxe55 suggested would work just as well (or better!) in the refrigerator.

4. vincent

vincent New Member

Also something to keep in mind, a fridge is relatively airtight so whatever humidity is on the outside will probably remain inside after you shut the door. Dessicants are great but need to be replaced quite often. A dehumidifier would be my choice, they make them specifically for gunsafes. I suppose all you would need to do is drill a hole for the cord, plug it in, fill the hole...

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-safes-remington-mini-dehumidifier-3.shtml

They make cordless ones too...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  5. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

I just put boxes of baking soda in my safe. It absorbs moisture. Probably not as good as a dehumidifier but it works for me.

6. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Another suggestion and only a suggestion would be once you complete the fridge upgrade is to have a 100w light bulb and not the curly ones (in main compartment) to help keep things warm and dry. This has been tested but only with my welding rods but for the same reasons.

7. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Good Idea. I wouldn't plug it in though. Or were you hoping to keep the ammo fresh longer? ;)

8. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Haha no I was wounderign about that though.

9. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

I have that covered.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012