Gun storage

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by 6shootersandw, Sep 17, 2011.

1. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

Is it okay to store your guns in the garage?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Impossible to answer- depends on what you keep them in, and what the garage is like. Humidity, security?

3. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

I am trying to get a Gun safe but I am worried about the changes in temperature and Humidity in the garage.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I wouldn't do the garage, it just wouldn't feel right to me. If you get that safe, and it's bolted to the concrete slab, and you get a humidity control thingy like a goldenrod there shouldn't be a problem.

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I mounted my safe in the garage and installed a goldenrod. Even in the moist Pacific NW, I've had no problems with surface rust.

If you do this, purchase a couple of good quality rubber door mats and install them between the concrete slab and the safe or the concrete curring process WILL rust out the bottom of your new safe. FYI-Concrete slabs can take up to 100 years to completely cure and stop off gassing moisture so do this even if your house is old.

TACK

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I used to work concrete too, it has a lot to do with the corrosive nature of the limestone in it. That's why you can't pour concrete around copper plumbing. I still don't know why it will kill a car battery though... Google here I come.