gun storage

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by AmesVond, Oct 16, 2007.

1. AmesVond

AmesVond New Member

What is the best way to store guns and ammo so that they don't get rusty over time and hold up well? Does ammo eventually stop working?

2. Jay

Jay New Member

ammo..... cool, and dry

I have fired 25 year-old ammo with absolutely no issues whatever.

Guns.... cool and DRY... with emphasis on DRY with a light film of a high quality gun oil on them. Some will disagree, but I don't count WD-40 as a gun oil. If you don't have a humidity-controlled environment for your guns, you can use dessicant packs, or a small light bulb to reduce the moisture.

3. 1hole

1hole New Member

I fired the last of my GI surplus -06 stuff head stamped DM42 a couple of years ago. At 63 years of age, only a couple of years younger than me at the time, it worked so good it made me jealous!

4. Carbine

Carbine New Member

I stored my 10/22 about 20 years ago after a thorough cleaning and a light coating of Rem oil in a soft-sided gun case. I took it out a few months ago and fired several hundred rounds through it, and it worked as well as it did when it was new. It also looked fantastic.

About old ammo, I had a .22LR brick and several CCI plastic boxes from 1987 that were stored in a military ammo can, and they all shot like they were new.

For my WWII Russian M44, I shoot surplus 7.62 x 54R ammo. Some are Czech "Silver-Tip" dated 1967 and the others are Russian rounds dated 1953. There have been no problems with any of that ammo, and they still pack a shoulder bruising wallop!

5. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

Long term storage:

Birchwood-Casey makes a spray called Sheath for guns, spray on, wipe off, keeps from rusting.

Kroil is another great anti-rust spray, even sili-kroil contains silicone.
    available from www.kanolabs.com

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I definitely would NOT disagree with that statement. :D

In a test for the FBI back in the 90's it was shown that WD-40 will "creep" 24 inches in 24 hours, making it possible for a service sidearm, treated with WD-40, to have the super lubricant seep into a round chambered in the weapon and cause a malfunction. That was enough for me, I haven't used WD for anything firearm related since then. :cool:

D

7. john55555

john55555 New Member

As far as I know, ammo doesn't 'stop working'. I store my pistols in a biometric fingerprint safe, only 109.99 off ebay. I purchased it only a few months ago, but I am very happy with the safe. If anyone is interested, the listing is 'Biometric Fingerprint Gun Pistol Safe keyless new NIB'
    :)

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

if your wanting to sell your safe try the firearms/accessoories section

9. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Cool & dry is the way to go.
    Put the ammo in 30cal or 50cal ammo cans, this will prevent the ammo from being exposed to any accidental water leaks.
    Your firearms need to be clean & heavily oiled (not with WD-40) with a good gun oil, and sealed in plastic, the vacuum food saver bags work good because they come on rolls and can be cut to the right length.
    It is not necessary to vacuum it down to seal but it wouldn't hurt.
    If you vacuum seal the firearm wrap all sharp edges to keep them from poking through the plastic.