Gun storage advise needed.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by buckhuntr, Jan 29, 2011.

1. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm in a quandary about storage: To wit, my wife and I are currently in the offer-counteroffer stage of selling our house, and short-term plan is to move into an apartment nearby with a six-month lease, and use that six months to get a well, septic, and electric service put in on our 15 acres in the country, and put up a garage to live in for a year or two until we can get a new house built.

My question is about storage of my long guns while we're in the apartment. We want a ground floor unit, and I really am worried about break-ins, and I really don't want to tip off everybody in the vicinity by moving in a gun safe.

On my property is a rented cargo container with very secure locks that we are using for storage anyway. If I move the gun safe into the container (unheated, no electricity to it) and keep the guns there, will silica packs be adequate to keep the humidity down during the winter and spring? I've thought about the situation and think this is my best option. What do y'all think about it?:confused:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

just oil em up real good and check them more often. should be fine. also might check with some of the local gun shops about storing them for a bit.

a rental storage unit is another option.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

My door is open. Now understand, I will have to "function check" every once in a while.

4. buckhuntr

Huh? :confused:

5. Fatso

Fatso New Member

I would keep them in the safe and just bring it inside. If you move it in at night you can cut down on the amount of people around. You might want to do it sooner than later in case looky lous or nosy neighbors pop over to see what you're all about. If you really want to conceal it, cut a refrigerator box and place it around the safe. Noone will be any the wiser.

6. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I agree. Or do it during working hours. You can also use moving blankets to wrap it.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

That is a bit of a dilemma you have. Myself I would be uncomfortable moving the safe into an apartment or the storage container. But at least with the apartment you could set up some kind of security/camera in case of theft. With the container they are left completely unattended and in actuality it isn't all that hard to get into one.

Do you have any other options - family, friends, a range (as was suggested)?

8. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I used to use silica gel myself, you will need to put it into a warm oven overnight every month minimum in order to get the moisture it has absorbed back out again. I have installed goldenrod- an electrical safe heater- into most of my safes.
    unfortunately goldenrod does require an electric outlet

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would go for a climate controlled storage unit stick the guns in there in the safe and make sure you pay the rent on time. It will cost you more but they will be secure and in a climate controlled area.

10. buckhuntr

Tango, that's actually what I was discussing with my wife a couple of hours ago. We already have a unit rented, but it's damn near filled to the brim already with furniture, deer heads, books and artwork. But I think we can make it fit. We've had the unit for about 3 years now, and have never noticed any signs of tampering by management or others.

11. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

If you do, make sure you buy the best lock and that your insurance will cover the guns (just in case).

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

If you want them to be secure you could oil them down good and pawn them for 1$ each.

13. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

LOL. :cool:

Like the guy in New York who took a bank loan and used his luxury vehicle as collateral...since he is going on vacation and it is cheaper to do that than pay parking and it won't be as safe.

14. Mandy

Mandy New Member

Locally you can store guns at the local gun stores, they may charge you a hefty fine, but they would be safe, it will be safer than at the container and in case they loose them or get them robbed, they will have to respond to you.

Maybe a local police weapons storage facility, but here that would be asking for missing parts when you get them back if you ever get them back lol.

I would pay to the gun shop the hefty fine for storage before leaving them in police custody.

15. WDB

WDB New Member

I would find a way to get the safe in the apartment with as little attention as possible. A firearm that is not in your custody has more potential for loss or theft. A large cardboard box would serve the function well.

16. FAS1

FAS1 Member

^^^^^^ Go to an appliance store and see if you can get a box from a refrigerator and use it to bring your safe in on a dolly. Nobody steals refrigerators, do they?

17. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I take it nobody likes my idea of pawning them for 1$ each?

18. buckhuntr

Not in this town!