Gun stock repair

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by AZdave, Aug 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

I recently acquired a shot gun (as opposed to a shotgun). So can some repair experts let me know if there is a special epoxy or will wood putty work?

The picture doesn't show the depth of missing material very well. It is missing a nickel size hole between 1/4 and 3/8 inch deep.

20190830_102153.jpg

Or should I just find a new stock?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  2. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

image.png Looks to me that the firearm is a Marlin 60. At this time I would be checking around to see what a used or new stock would cost. I think it will be cheaper in the long term than making the repairs.

3. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

What he said. You’ll spend a lot of time on this and it’ll look like hell. A new stock is relatively cheap.

kfox75, EclecticShooter and AZdave like this.
  4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

You can make it functional with any number of products, but there is not practical way to make it look decent. If I were going to "fix" it, I would use a two part epoxy to fill the holes and paint the whole thing with a good enamel paint. If you want it to look right, you are going to have to replace the stock.

kfox75, Wambli, AZdave and 1 other person like this.
  5. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

6. jdsingleshot

jdsingleshot Active Member

If the side is relatively straight, I'd pass it over a jointer until all the damage was removed, glue on a lamination and shape and inlet as needed.

AZdave likes this.
  7. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

Thanks. But why use a laminate? Why not solid wood?

This is basically the same advice I got from another forum. I think I’ll try this method, if there is enough wood left to do the repair.

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  8. jdsingleshot

jdsingleshot Active Member

By lamination, I was using the original meaning of a thin layer of anything. I was thinking wood. Looks like the stock may be maple. You can glue on a thicker piece and then cut it down after the glue cures.

AZdave likes this.
  9. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It is a modern birch stock. Not a great piece of walnut. Yes, I have teh skills to put in a patch which would be structurally sound, and i could probably get the grain close enough to matching, that the younger brother could spend an hour or so with the fineline pens, to make it invisible. But why would anyone bother.

The only way I’d consider working on it was if the intent was to paint it some camo scheme. And, then I’d probably be able to buy a stock of eBay for less then the glue and wood to do the repair.

I guess it depends on how much you value your time, and whether you think it would be enjoyable.

Rifling82, AZdave and kfox75 like this.
  10. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

More like a learning experience, and to see how it is done. Might try the faux grain or desert camo.

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  11. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Or you could overbuild the bad area with two part epoxy putty, sand down to shape and paint the whole stock.

AZdave likes this.
  12. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Since the thin strip next to the receiver is torn off, epoxy filler is a nonstarter. The only way to get it to be close to right, is to glue in new wood for the length of the receiver, and then mill or carve it beck to fit the receiver.

Way too much work for a piece of birch.

AZdave likes this.
  13. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

simpler solution is to buy another stock then put a period at the end of it. :)

OLD Ron and AZdave like this.
  14. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm with you, it's worth a try to get it fixed yourself. Besides, the cost of DIY is nil, it will be a good during-winter project, and it will never be a collector. Marlin made around a trillion of those rifles with their name and every other retailer that ever sold .22 rifles.
    It will still be a fun shooter when you get it done..............and maybe even a "tack-driver". ;)

OLD Ron, Rifling82 and AZdave like this.