Gun Solvent that DOESN'T stink.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by texaswoodworker, Apr 17, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I usually use Hoppes #9 to clean my guns, and the smell really doesn't bother me, but everyone else hates it.
    Is there anything else I could use to clean my guns that doesn't stink (one without much of any smell would be best)?
    WD-40, Rem Oil, something else?

Thanks

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally i like the smell of Hoppe's #9! i also like the smell of Kano Kroil, which is becoming my general all around bore cleaner, penetrant, and gun oil. try it out. works great and doesn't smell bad at all.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Waaay off topic here, but I LOVE the scent of that Black Magic clear spray on tire shine. It's the only one I buy and its for that reason only.:p

4. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

My guns are cleaned with WD-40, slides are lubricated with Tetra, and everything else is oiled with Hoppe's #9. If it slides, grease it; if it rotates, oil it.

5. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I use REM Oil on everything, not because its my favorite, its just readily available. I use Hoppes #9 every now and then.

6. steve666

steve666 New Member

I also like the smell of #9, but if you want something different try Clenzoil. I think it smells pretty good.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If your catching flak for hoppes switch over to clp for a while. Whoever is complaining will be happy to have you go back to hoppes. My wife complains the house smells like bananas when I clean my guns. Lol

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

If you use a small plastic squeeze bottle and a bag for used patches it greatly reduces the odor.

9. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Frog Lube

Minty fresh:)

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I may have to try some of these. The person who hates the smell is my mother. She literally has a nose like a bloodhound, and hates pretty much every strong smell. Do any of those have a basically weak smell, or no smell? I'd also have to see if I could find any of that locally.
    I think for now, I'll probably either clean my guns outside with the hoppes (the bag and squeeze bottle would probably not work enough for her since she doesn't want ANY more of it in the house :rolleyes:), or I'll start trying WD-40 (at least for now).

Thanks

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Weather permitting, clean your guns outside.

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Use the Hoppes elite... I started to use it a few years ago.. I think it works better than #9 and doesnt stink!!

13. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

OMG They think #9 stinks? If they made a cologne with the smell of #9 I'd wear it. :)

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

And I'd date you because you smelled soooo good. LOL

15. msup752

msup752 New Member

My wife tolerates Hoppes Elite but doesn't even know I'm cleaning if I'm using Gunzilla.

16. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

Man, Kroil stinks. If Hoppe's #9 bothers her, she'll HATE Kroil. Gunzilla is a pretty decent CLP with almost no odor. Supposedly plant-based, too.

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I think that Hoppes#9 has a pleasant smell

Put some of these in your car :)

hop_h9af.jpg

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

My mom told me to just pour a little in the floorboard. Then I looked at the ingredients.

Kerosene + smoker = bad juju

19. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Frog Lube, it works, smells good, and is a company created and owned by a Navy SEAL.