Gun socks in safe

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by deg, Oct 28, 2013.

1. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Like many of you my safe is jammed full, so this weekend I took my guns out and put them all back in - in gun socks. Any thoughts if that may invite or prevent rust. Currently I am not having a problem but don't really want to start a problem either.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think gun socks are a great idea.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

I wouldn't do it.

Covering them invites rust. Moisture has an easier time inside a tight closed space like a case or gunsock.

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I have most of my firearms in silicone impregnated socks, and I cycle the Remington "re-chargable" silica gel desiccant holders through my safes. I have 3 of the desiccant holders and 1 is always plugged in drying, while the other 2 are doing their job.

5. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

I have used the silicone Sox in my safe for probably 10 years... No rust issues
    I like the fact they help against safe dings
    I don't like that I cannot see what gun is inside

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I do not use socks on my guns in the safe. I do have two rechargeable desiccant packs in the safe with them. And monitor them closely. When the pellets turn pink it is time to recharge them. They do an excellent job! I still clean and lube all my weapons at least once a year to be sure. I lube them with G-96 to preserve them in the safe.

7. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

I have most of mine in "Bore Stores"

8. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

I have seen some battery powered dehumidifiers if that helps you out in your worries

9. deg

I put a small disposable type keyring attached by by safety pin and wrote which gun it is

10. deg

I also have a rechargeable desiccant gizmo and a big bag of those little bead ones. I am thinking of putting in one of those gun safe heaters as well

11. deg

One reason I did it was - this last spring (Okie here) we had one of them tar tornaders heading straight fer us. So in a panic I stuffed the safe full of shoot'n shirts and the such and run a HD ratchet strap around its girth. If, it missed us, had got us and survived the tossing around, I think for the most part every thing would have survived without too much damage. However, as I dug out my shirts after nader season - they were oil stained and I had to take the honey to Mahogany's Steakhouse to convince her to get the stains out.