Gun socks in safe

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by deg, Oct 28, 2013.

1. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Like many of you my safe is jammed full, so this weekend I took my guns out and put them all back in - in gun socks. Any thoughts if that may invite or prevent rust. Currently I am not having a problem but don't really want to start a problem either.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think gun socks are a great idea.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

I wouldn't do it.

Covering them invites rust. Moisture has an easier time inside a tight closed space like a case or gunsock.

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I have most of my firearms in silicone impregnated socks, and I cycle the Remington "re-chargable" silica gel desiccant holders through my safes. I have 3 of the desiccant holders and 1 is always plugged in drying, while the other 2 are doing their job.

5. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

I have used the silicone Sox in my safe for probably 10 years... No rust issues
    I like the fact they help against safe dings
    I don't like that I cannot see what gun is inside

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I do not use socks on my guns in the safe. I do have two rechargeable desiccant packs in the safe with them. And monitor them closely. When the pellets turn pink it is time to recharge them. They do an excellent job! I still clean and lube all my weapons at least once a year to be sure. I lube them with G-96 to preserve them in the safe.

7. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

I have most of mine in "Bore Stores"

8. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

I have seen some battery powered dehumidifiers if that helps you out in your worries

9. deg

I put a small disposable type keyring attached by by safety pin and wrote which gun it is

10. deg

I also have a rechargeable desiccant gizmo and a big bag of those little bead ones. I am thinking of putting in one of those gun safe heaters as well

11. deg

One reason I did it was - this last spring (Okie here) we had one of them tar tornaders heading straight fer us. So in a panic I stuffed the safe full of shoot'n shirts and the such and run a HD ratchet strap around its girth. If, it missed us, had got us and survived the tossing around, I think for the most part every thing would have survived without too much damage. However, as I dug out my shirts after nader season - they were oil stained and I had to take the honey to Mahogany's Steakhouse to convince her to get the stains out.