Gun smith or DIY project? Remington 700...

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by icallshotgun88, Oct 22, 2013.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

I recently bought a Remington 700 SPS AAC SD, which has a threaded barrel. So I'm looking for a compensator (or possibly a flash hider) for it.

But is it a simple screw on and go, or is there much more to it than that? Should I have a gun smith do it?

Are some brakes easier to install then others? Use lock-tight or no?

Can y'all recommend a good brake?

Use is for hunting mainly, but of course fun at the range as well.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

As long as you can make sure it is aligned properly with the barrel you should be able to handle it.
    Threadlock shouldn't be necessary if you have a crush washer. I like to use a wooden dowel to make damn well sure it is in alignment and the bullet will clear.

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I like the Battle Comp compensators for my ARs. I don't know what threading your rifle barrel uses, but if it's the same as ARs then you should be good to go.

4. icallshotgun88

I have nearly no tools and wouldn't know what the crap I'm doing...

Going to the gun smith.

I spent some time looking for videos on how to install one but couldn't find one that made it look easy..

5. hoovco

hoovco New Member

You can use math and a torque wrench to install it. It's a lot easier than some make it out to be.

6. icallshotgun88

but like what mountain man said about it being inline with the barrel...I wouldn't know other than by just looking at it.
    And a lit of people I see drill out the center so the bullet will clear..I just wouldn't want to mess with that..

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What MM was suggesting was useing a .308 dowel and making sure. Great idea.
    So simple, yet so brilliant!!

8. icallshotgun88

So what about recommending me a compensator?

9. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Can you thread a nut onto a bolt? If you're installing it crooked you'll know because it will screw up the threads and it will be hard as hell to put on. You won't have to drill out the center if you get a decent quality product.

I personally like the AAC QD brakes.

10. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Aries armament makes a great flash hider. No timing beaded, no proper aligning need, well maybe a tad. It's fully adjustable, you can have your Ports wherever you want them and best of all, the end enacted for a suppressor. So you can lock tight it on and not have to worry about having to take it off for a suppressor

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that rifle was designed more so for being able to mount suppressor to it. hence the reason it has a threaded barrel and is only 20" long.

adding a compensator to it will make it much more louder and possibily even uncomfortable to shoot without hearing protection.

IMO, i just don't think that is the optimum version of that rifle for deer hunting.

12. icallshotgun88

True. I see it more as a tactical rifle than a hunting rifle. But 90% of the time I'll be on the range with it...
    Will it kill a deer humanely?
    If so, I'll use it for deer hunting..

13. Axxe55

it will kill a deer just fine as long as you use the proper ammo and proper shot placement. but if you miss, that loud thing is going to scare the deer in about five counties away!

14. icallshotgun88

Maybe a flash hider is a ether way to go then?
    I don have a use for a flash hider so I thought a compensator would have some (little) benefit of at least better follow up shots or keeping an eye on the target..
    But maybe a flash hider is a better way to go..
    I just want SOMETHING on the end of the threaded barrel.

15. Axxe55

if you do your part, a second shot shouldn't be needed. even so, getting off a second shot if needed, the working of the bolt, chambering another round will be more time consuming than what little muzzle lift is noticed with that caliber. the 308 doesn't recoil that hard. youmight notice a bit more in shooting a semi-auto in that caliber, but IMO, i don't think it will be that big an issue in a bolt action.

spend the money and get a suppressor instead. i think JonM has a 308 bolt action that's suppressed IIRC.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

my recomendation is a surefire brake. they come wih a set of spacer rings to time the brake, a tube of rocksett for locking it in (rocksett is necessary as blue loctite and red locktite melt under higher heat) as a brake can work itself loose if not thread locked, and a timing chart.

tools needed are a foot lb torque wrench, wooden blocks for clamping the barrel, vice for clamping the blocks, crescent wrench attachment for torque wrench if you dont have an ar15 armorers wrench with a 1/2" drive attachment, acetone and brush for cleanng threads.

optional tools are calipers for measuring exact width of timing spacers makes timing a bit easier

if you use blue or red loctite might as well not use it since the heat from firing will just melt it right off turning it to white powder.

if you have the required tools its a very easy if a little time consuming as getting the timing is a lot of trial and error. this can run up quite a bill if your getting charged by the hour...

my wife has that 308 now. the taming of the jump is huge when looking through a high power optic. the wifes 308 with surefire you can watch the bullet hit with ease. makes a second shot nearly a sure thing as its easy to judge how far off a miss is. a brake or suppressor does make a diff in a 308 when you need to see the results of a shot through the scope.

17. 762

762 Member

it's a 5/8x24 TPI thread, standard for most .308's with a heavy barrel like your AAC. i actually just had my 700P barrel cut down to 20" and threaded the same size. i have a cheapie brake i found on amazon on it right now. suppressor should be here in a month or so. def use a crush washer, most brakes will come with one. you should use a new one everytime you take the brake off too.

you dont have to worry about making sure the brake is mounted square. just make sure it's on tight and you'll be fine. they're extremely easy to mount, paying a gunsmith is stupid. unless you have no mechanical inclination at all. a lot of brakes will have flat sides on part of it so you can put a wrench on it.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

one thing is most brakes are very unpleasent to shoot as in muzzle blast is redirected backwards towards the shooter. shooting under cover like a out door range with a roof is realllllly unpleasent.

one of the worst ones is the pws series of brakes. one came with my scar17. it was so aweful i had to replace it with a simple flash hider. even with double hearing protection the concussion was unbearable to me.

the barrel on the wife's savage is much further out than the scar's barrel so its not bad to shoot with the brake. the short 16" barrel on my scar puts me square in the back blast.

if your considering a brake i wouldnt do it on less than 20" or better a 22" barrel

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

do not use a crush washer if your going to attach a suppressor. it can easily make the suppressor have baffle strikes from misalignment. use peel washers or sspacer rings designed specifically for brake timing.

20. icallshotgun88

For sure. I would LOVE to spend the money on a suppressor but I live in Kommiefornia.