Gun Sight Paint

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Rough2000, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Rough2000

Rough2000 New Member

My old eyes aren't as good as the used to be. I think having brighter colors on my sights may help. I have considered Truglo, etc and am not sure I want to spend that kind of money on several guns. Has anyone used this product from Bright Sights Bright Sights High Visibility Gun Sight Paint. Has it helped the sight picture? Is it durable, removable? Any other considerations I should look at? Any other paints you have used that maybe better?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I have the Ghost Glo kit. I've never used it and sits in a drawer. If you want it, I'll sell it to you for twenty bucks shipped.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For simply making the sights stand out more, visit your local craft store, ask where they keep the Testors Model Airplane paint. Pick a suitably flourescent color that does not clash with your outfit. Clean the sights with an alcohol swab, let dry, paint, let dry. NOT IN THE STORE! YOU ARE FREAKING OUT THE CLERK! About $2.79 for enough paint for 2 or 3 platoons of firearms. No like color? Nail polish remover.

Yes, Tritium night sights are very good- but pricy, lasts about 10 years.

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I got this stuff from Midway that I like pretty well. Here's a couple links to it. [Link 1] [Link 2]

I've used model paint and it works pretty well too. Bright Sights stuff I like pretty well too being there are a lot of color choices including some that can glow in the dark :)

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Another option could be jig head paint. Even comes in glow in the dark.

6. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I thought you were frick'n pulling our legs till I googled "jig head paint". I'm not a fisherman obviously..:p

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

:D;).........

8. deth502

deth502 New Member

fingernail polish.

just steal some off your woman.

or, if she a chea..... well, i wont get into that, but you can actually buy it too if you are single again.

it cames in ANY color you can imagine, available anywhere, cheap, and already has a brush right in the can.

9. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I AM a fisherman, and hadn't considered that!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  10. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

That a beastie that met a grill right quick I imagine! nice catch!

11. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

That's a baseline bigg'un around here, but the only one I have a pic of. My kayak-driving son caught some serious monsters this past season. On my gear, of course!

12. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Check glow-on.com , I got me some it only cost me $15.00 and it is plenty visible and enough for a lot of guns or fishing lures as the advertise on their website.
    Just be careful how you apply it or your hands are gonna look very funny glowing when you go to bed.:eek:

13. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Check this out , got something named glow-on super fluorescent from glow-on.com, is a creamy stuff, when it dries is very solid, it was really easy to put a small dot and a U shape on the sights of my mosin nagant, now the unexpected plus was when the old rifle got hot after about 20 rounds ( 7.62x54 mind you) the front sight was extra glowy.
    Put some on my fishing lures, night fishing someone ? worked as advertised

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Hmmm... poor man's tritium sights. I may have to look into that.

15. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Have some tritium, the glow is barely there.
    Anyways my problem is to align the three dots all the time and the tritium part is so small it makes it harder under dark conditions, illumination is bad in some range lines. So i came withthis solution:

On the tritium sights I added glow-on self adhesive on the back, (a square u shape around the notch) and a small circle of glow-on pigment around the front sight (over the white little circle around the tritium), apply my small flashlight for 5 seconds and proceed to put a nice group at 15 yards .

It looks like a small o inside a sqaure more or less it helps a lot, and the green looks almost electric, my two cents.
    gatopardo

16. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'm not all that big a fan of the three dot sight so if I have one that I"m going to paint up I'll do it more like the Straight 8 sights. It's much easier (for me) to stack two than line up three. I squire a sight picture much faster.

That jig head paint does well well BTW. I bought a pistol a while back that used it. I used the Testers model paint as well. I don't liek nail polish as it just never looks right to me being most that stuff has more a gloss finish that I like. It seems there was an ad on another forum I used to go to called nightsighters or something like that. They where stick on things. I have never used those though and can't speak on their quality.

17. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

check this out, my work using glow-on:

Attached Files: