Gun show .....

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by brockly, Sep 3, 2013.

1. brockly

brockly New Member

Ok I'm new to all this but I'm learning fast.

New question there a gun show in sac. This weekend $11. $10 with coupon. Drive up there and back $20. What price would I see .22lr ? Or 9mm. Would it be worth it ?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

It is rare to find lower prices on ammo at gun shows. Guns from the vendors are usually the same as you can find from LGS. The benefit is you have multiple vendors in one location.

3. brockly

brockly New Member

Ok looking for a S&W m&p 15-22 but don't have the money right now.

4. Mouser

Mouser Member

I have had mixed results at gun shows. You must do your homework first...I usually sample a gun that I am targeting on a site like GunsAmerica to get a price spread.

There are vendors who are high and some who are reasonable. I have found some good deals...I bought a Ruger GP 100 for $400 as a guy was selling his private collection and was motivated to sell...I also bought a brand new SW 686 for $600 which as pretty reasonable from what I had sampled...but mostly, you will pay about the same.

Probably, the best thing about gun shows...often a motivated seller will pick up the sales tax so if you are patient, and willing to walk away from a sale that isn't right, you can find some good buys; but sometimes not.

I go to gun shows because it is fun for me. Sometimes I buy and sometimes I don't. I have more than once, left a gun show and driven to a local gun shop to buy a new gun that I was not able to locate at the show for a price I liked.

Just research and go have fun. You can not see a movie for $20 so that is how I look at it...a day out doing what I enjoy.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have not wasted my time with gun shows in several years. Inflated prices, crowds of mall ninjas.

6. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

My family will attend a show in Ft. Worth a few times per year...

Like stated, research, research, research if you wanna close a deal.
    Don't be afraid to make an offer or negotiate a package.
    Lots to see at ours; knives and swords, hunting gear, survival and zombie stuff...and of course mall ninjas, wannabees, has beens, and neverwillbees (not saying which i am;) and lots of guns!
    It's not for everybody...but we enjoy that trip on occasion.

7. brockly

brockly New Member

What's a mall ninja ?

8. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Only reason I go to gun shows is variety. Prices are typically the same as the local shops.

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

10. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Here you go!

Attached Files:

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

mall ninja.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words....

12. 1911love

1911love New Member

I go for the used selection, can't be beat. You really have to know your stuff though, LOTS of bad deals. If you are new to this, bring a buddy who is knowledgeable or research one specific item/items and only look at buying that. Once you gain more exp and knowledge, you can troll for the great deals and desperate vendors.

Last show I went too I walked away with a $2000 rifle for $1300 bc I knew my sh!t and was willing to walk(I did and the guy played ball, he really needed money and the rifle was obscure). My favorite part though is talking to the old timers and LEOs/MIL people, great crowd and lots of info and laughs.

Ammo is usually more at the shows. As far as the M&P 15-22, it will prob be the same or only slightly cheaper than your LGS(local gun store). I recommend buying from a LGS that makes you feel comfortable and has reasonable prices. Establish a relationship with a LGS and you will be taken care of in the future and support your city at the same time, win win in my book. Good luck and welcome to firearms.

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Many gun shows are nothing more than flea markets. There are some collectors shows without FFLs and no nothing vendors. It is much more likely that you will find good quality firearms at better prices at these shows. These shows are more often sponsored by arms collectors associations. :)

14. brockly

brockly New Member

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

I went to one in Sacramento a few months ago. Crossroads of the West or something like that. It wasn't terrible, but this was in the middle of the panic. The line for ammo literally went out the door. People were waiting n the ammo line for an hour or more, not sure if the caliber they needed would be sold out when they finally made it. Prices on ammo were what you'd expect during the height of the panic. Some were reasonable (for the times) but most were not.

The gun selection was good. I left with the exact gun I was looking for. An M&P9c, brand new. I paid right around $600 for it. So it as a decent price. Not too high or low.

Likes others have said, go and enjoy yourself. Don't think that just because you go, you HAVE to spend money. I think its just fun to look and sometimes handle the interesting firearms.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  16. JW357

JW357 New Member

Not quite. To really understand (and get a bunch of laughs), when you have time, go read this:

http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

17. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I go to gun shows to look for odd ball stuff. I often look for barrels for my contender. I look for obscure brass. Try to find cheap bullets for reloading. Stuff like that. Everyone is looking for guns. When I find something that only I and the seller know what it is, I can often make a deal. Because they realize if I don't buy it they are taking it home.

18. brockly

brockly New Member

Yeah that's what I payed for my M&P 9c. $618.

Waiting on my M&P 22.

Ok I think I'll just wait for the gun show in Modesto. Have to find out when that will be

19. 1911love

1911love New Member

M&P 15-22s generally go for around $500 for the MOE version. Great rifle, fun to shoot. If you're new to firearms there is a wealth of info at shows, some BS and some priceless.

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

Is Modesto closer to you?

Heck, it might be worth going to both. You might get a good idea in pricing in Sacramento, and if you find the gun you want either snag it up or ask the vendor if he's gonna be in Modesto. No guarantee the same gun will be there, though. It could sell before then. But my point is, you find the gun in Sac, then go to the Modesto one and maybe you can find it cheaper. If not, maybe the first vendor will be in Modesto and might have the same gun again.

In other words, you can use the one in Sacramento to get an idea of pricing. And whatnot.

:confused: