Gun show turnout

Discussion in 'Gun Shows' started by KimberFan, Feb 2, 2013.

1. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

I started to go a local gun show today....well...I got to the parking lot. There in front of me was a line where the wait time was almost 1-1/2 hour:eek: to get in the front door. I saw people heading to their cars and asked a couple if it was any good...they responded "I'm not waiting in line that long". I heard that from a couple others and decided I wouldn't do the wait either.

I've never seen anything like it. Later this afternoon at the watering hole, I spoke to a few others who actually made it in the door, they said it was almost comical. One fella was selling Lake City .223 (1000 bulk) for a flat $1100- no discounts. A buck a pull. Another told me of a young couple who bought a used Taurus 44 mag Raging Bull for $650 and the young gal couldn't even hold it up to aim it (no dickering on it)....another paid $1300 for a used Ruger Scout .308. It was pure nuts. :confused:

This is really getting to be something else. I've never seen anything this bad. Y2k and 08 was bad but not like this as far as I've seen.

2. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

I went to one today. Magazines prices are coming down. Promags 30 round 29.00. AR15's were 1200-1500 average. Ammo was a premium though. But LGS'S are getting more and more in, prices dropping slowly. One dealer at the show actually had several of everything to build uppers and lowers except for barrels and bolt carriers.

3. xring3

xring3 Member

We had a gun show in the town that I live in.....no bargains to be found and people with more money than sense.......I did not go but I understand the promoter made out like a bandit......folks I talked to said it was a waste of money.

4. undumb

undumb New Member

I stopped attending gun shows a couple years ago. I never find any deals better than my LGS and the vendors are impatient and rude.
    I don't trust anyone trying to sell a Jimenez, seems like most are.
    I don't like checking my weapon either.

5. AR10

AR10 New Member

I went to two this month, found deals in both of them. Ammo seems to be the real problem now. I am not desperate enough to pay 10 cents a round for .22 ammo. Walmart has it about half that, when you can fine some.

6. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Yes, the last few gun shows I went to were disappointing to say the least....

7. Ranger185

Ranger185 New Member

I went to the Greenboro NC show a couple weeks ago and with the ice I got there at the opening time and not many people there. Got some good deals but didn't buy any ammo or ARs those were more than ridiculous. By noon you couldn't move and people were buying ammo no matter the insane prices.

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

In Nebraska, I went to two shows in two weeks, in January. Prices were a little high, but so is milk at the grocery store, or my electric bill.

I found good 30 rd AR mags, aluminum ones, even Colts, for under twenty bucks each. I purchased 7 of them. I had never seen one stamped Colt, so that was a treat for me. Keeper.

I found an LR-308 mag for 25 bucks, no tax on anything I purchased that day.

I signed my wife and I up for concealed carry classes, fifty bucks off because of the show, and class is in two weeks with an NRA certified instructor. Everybody else I found was booked up six months in advance and more money.

I saw the first gun I ever owned, forty years ago, good condition, $125. It was $18 bucks back then. Is that so bad? Now I wish I would have purchased it! Forty years ago, I needed to bust *** for a month to raise 18 bucks. Now $125 is dinner money out for four, if you are very careful.

I also found a reflex machine gun sight, new in box, $60. Internet it is 120 plus shipping.

Shows are fun. Enjoy the people, enjoy the guns, while we still live in relative peace and freedom. It will get worse. I fear.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  9. Ruger52

Ruger52 New Member

The last one I went to here in Vegas in January, I waited the one hour line to get in. Then I waited a one hour line for ammo. I had just bought my first 1911, chambered in .45 auto. I had a measely 100 rounds. I did get a decent deal on the ammo, after the wait, about 42 cents a pull. But now looking online I am seeing a lot of stuff for a buck a shot. Plus is is just stupid to have to buy 5.56/.223 for a buck apiece. I am stocked up well on that, but now I cannot shoot my AR, cuz to replace the ammo today is outta my reach. When will the insanity end?

10. xring3

xring3 Member

AR10...I know what you mean about first guns and prices 40 years ago. At 14 my parents signed for a .22 Browning Nomad. Cost me $50.00. Still have it! Only wish I had not let other good deals slip by.

11. 762HighVelocity

762HighVelocity New Member

The gun show I went too had some pretty great deals. Mags were insane though.

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yep, 20,000 at the last gun show down in Salt Lake City. Can anyone imagine the effect gun owners would have if they turned out to vote like that in Nov.?
    Damn if gun owners lined up for hours to vote like they do for gun shows Obama would leave the country.:cool:

13. Donn

Donn Active Member

At the shows I've been to since Newtown demonstrate three things. 1) Crowds like I haven't seen in all the years I've attended these things. 2) The feeding frenzy is still in full effect. PMAGS, $60, Mini-14 mags, $75. PMC .223, 1000rds $1000. And, 3) Absolutely no deals. Whatever the sticker says, that's what it costs. Going to a show this weekend. We'll see if the fever's going down at all. Doubt it.

14. waterwheel

waterwheel New Member

Went to the vb gunshow they were raping people with the prices ended up buying beef jerky. I reminded me of the old weight loss adds stop the madness. Lol

15. rachilders

rachilders New Member

I went to the local Academy sporting goods store earlier today and looked at the ammo shelf in the gun area. Not much there other than shotgun shells and rounds for calibers like 17HMR, 7mm mag, 270 and 22-250. I asked the clerk behind the counter when they might expect more ammo and he asked what caliber I was looking for. When I told him .22lr and 9mm he said they had it in stock, it was just kept at the service desk up front for the time being. I went to the front desk and sure enough there was 22, 380, 9mm 40, 45, 5.56, 308 and other popular calibers stacked behind the counter. I asked how much I could get and was told 2 boxes per caliber per visit. I asked if there were any recent shortages or problems with regular shipments and was told no, they received ammo shipments 2-3 times per week. It's now kept up front simply to keep individual customers from buying entire shipments at one time. I bought a couple of boxes of Federal Match 22lr at $4 a pop. I may go back tomorrow and grab a few boxes of Monarch (I think it's the Academy house brand) and PMC 5.56 FMJ at $8 - up $2 from the pre Sandy Hook price - and do a little target practice this weekend. FYI,this is the exact same 5.56 ammo I saw being sold at a local gun show last month for $25+ a box. Scalpers where cleaning out the store shelves and reselling the same ammo at a 300%-400% markup. This is exactly why the store now limits sales to two boxes per visit.

FWIW, if I hadn't asked the clerk about it I'd have never noticed the ammunition at the front desk, which had been there all along. I just "ASSUMED" the store was out since it wasn't in the usual location. If you don't see it, ask for it and you may be in for a pleasant surprise. Also, don't pay the outrageous prices you see at the shows or on the internet. It just encourages gougers to help keep prices high and supply low. Supply is finally returning to more normal levels and at reasonable prices. All you need to do is be patient and do a bit of legwork

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  16. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

Though gouging is a real problem, it's a result of a bigger problem, which is the huge orders of ammo by various govt agencies stocking up for who knows what. It immediately put a strain on stockpiles AND components. It looks like a quick solution to the panic buying of guns and ammo. The two ammo producers, Georgia Arms and N. Georgia Reloading, who I rely on for good, reasonable ammo say they're crippled due to lack of components.

17. AR10

AR10 New Member

If you knew there would be a confrontation and you could stock up, and at the same time, keep ammo from your enemy, would you?

That is what the gov is doing, and we are in their crosshairs, seems to me what is going on.

I hope for the best, but I expect a SHTF event out of all of this. The next 9/11, Katrina, type event, and the Kenyan and his minions order house to house gun confiscation nation wide.

That is what the 24 year supply of ammo the gov stockpiling is for. I hope I am wrong.

18. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

So do I....So do I

19. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

That seems pretty high for .45 I bought a case of 1000 Blazer .45's for $319 last month. No one is really buying .45 during this craze.

They've had it behind the counter here locally for over a month. They still never have any. They stock it on Friday night for sale Sat morning. Line is 20 people deep 1 hour before open. Limit is 1 box per caliber 3 boxes total per customer. Not even worth the trip.

20. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

I see the gun show host are putting up signs now that read "THE AISLES ARE FOR SHOPPERS- NOT TALKERS". I guess I have to appreciate this, the shows I've been to lately are crowded for sure and there's nothing worse than trying to get thru the rows when folks plug up the aisle shooting the breeze when they could stand outside the rows and BS. That and the ones who have a double wide baby stroller...those really crowd my Jazzy scooter. :D