Gun show rules?

Discussion in 'Indiana Gun Forum' started by austin92, Aug 3, 2013.

1. austin92

austin92 New Member

So I just tried to go to my first gun show at Vigo county fair grounds and they had a sign that said no loaded firearms. I assumed it was like every gun shop in town where that doesn't apply to permit holders. I was stopped at the door asked if my sidearm was loaded, i said of course and was asked to disarm and return. Said nothing, walked off, and never went back. No guns=no money from me. I was just amazed I couldn't carry somewhere that you could so readily purchase a firearm and ammo at the same place. This standard at gun shows?

2. txpossum

txpossum New Member

It has been the standard of most big city gun shows I've been to. Sometimes I leave the gun in the car, sometimes I just don't tell 'em I have one. I've never really though I needed one in a gun show.

3. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Concealed means concealed. They don't need to know you have it on you.

4. Donn

Donn Active Member

That's the way it is here. Weapon has to be cleared before entering the building. There have been instances of negligent discharges prior to this policy being put in place and the people running the shows are paying an arm and a leg for liability as it is. As someone else said, I'm not worried inside a gun show. Getting there and getting home, that's different. If you choose to CC anyway, something untoward happens and you could wind up in the back seat of a police cruiser. After that, CC might not be an issue. Your CPL could be suspended or revoked. I'm not rolling those dice.

5. austin92

austin92 New Member

I only open carry though

6. TraderJack

TraderJack New Member

Every gun show I've attended has a similar rule Austin...
    But, I usually carry openly, with 2 magazines on my left hip and the zip ties thru the action of the Colt... BUT, I install a set of my 'fancy' grip panels... just to 'show off'!

I've had a few comments on the grips and it has started a few conversations... Then I give them my business card and talk training.
    I figure it's just another way to drum up some business for my 'TriggerTineTraining' company.:D

Plus I carry 2 knives, so if push cones to shove, the zip tie is history and one of the mags goes in and I'm ready in under 5-6 seconds...
    I just don't worry about it anymore...

Austin, don't let it get you down... Have some fun with it!;)

7. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

There's a time for everything. There's a time to open carry and a time to carry concealed. If your principles get in the way of you going to a gun show. It's time to re-evaluate those principles.

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Yeah gun shows here are the same way about no loaded guns. I always thought it was funny though because I could buy a gun, ammo, and a knife to get the zip tie off.;)

Carrying concealed I wouldn't offer that I had one. Open they see it they will tell you to take it to the car or drop the mag and put in a zip tie here.

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

All of the gun shows I have attended in the last few years have a uniformed deputy asking every person if the have guns or ammo. Empty guns are zip tied. With as many doofus people who carry, I could see ugly things happening in a show with shoppers showing off their gun for sale or trade.

You may be surprised about how damn many people who will clear a 1911 by showing the chamber clear, dropping the slide, the dropping the loaded magazine. The Miami cop, in the famous video, that shot himself in the leg while demonstrating his competence with a pistol to a room full of children, did the same thing.

I see many people at gun shows that I would prefer never touched a weapon, loaded or unloaded. I have no problem leaving my firearm in the car while at the show. With a couple of hundred armed vendors and thousands of other people gunfire, accidental or intentional, could get out of hand in a hurry.

10. austin92

austin92 New Member

Would you give business to a place that told you to leave your cell phone outside if it's visible on your hip? What if they saw the clip for your pocket knife and asked you to leave? I'm not breaking any laws and I don't see a firearm unconcealed any different than a phone or knife n a belt holster. Its my constitutional rights to carry and Indiana allows me to do it openly. If a place of business doesn't agree with that I don't believe they're entitled to a dollar of mine.

11. vincent

vincent New Member

Winning post right there...:cool:

Here in NC, it's a big no no to carry loaded into a gunshow...concealed or not, the metal detectors will rat you out...

The hard core carriers unload, zip strap up, re-holster and 'carry' on...No mag, big plastic strap from the mag well through the action...but carrying none the less...:confused: Never made any sense to me...

12. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

My Gun Show asks for them to shown unloaded and a fragile zip tie goes through the barrel.
    Fine with me. If I felt I really needed it, the zip tie breaks and a mag is handy.

Never had to worry too much in a gun show tho... except for spending too much money.

13. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Not to long ago wana say like 2 or 3 months. AD at a show, one guy lost part of a finger.

It was a pistol that a vendor brought, it was loaded laying on the table.

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I notice Indiana limits the type of rifle you can hunt with. Indiana only allows rifles that fire pistol cartridges. So do you refuse to deer hunt because you can not even hunt with a 30-30? :confused:

15. moonpie

moonpie New Member

I suppose you don't see a problem with Brad and Dwayne straight
    out of high school, totally experts in firearms from playing man of war video games games, getting their first real guns (ARs or AKs because those are the only totally real guns there are), loading their first real bullests into their first real mags and waving their new toys around to show their friends how really cool they are . after all it's their money and they totally have a right

16. austin92

austin92 New Member

Not really relevant but I like a challenge, rifles make it too easy.

17. jebsca

jebsca New Member

After helping the local gun club put on a gun show, I found out that we could not let the customers have a loaded fire arm because of insurance. As hard as it is to walk into a show and not be able to have a loaded pistol, it is even harder to tell a man that he has to unload before he can go in. Please don't blame the people running the shows, they are trying to support our second amendment. Instead, blame the people that can’t be trusted and the lawyers that push liability to the extreme.